Had it with cell phones

Should people be ticketed for talking on their cell while driving?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Should people be ticketed for talking on their cell while driving?

• Let me get back to you after I take this call
    • Not sure -
    • No -
    • Yes -

It's done got outta hand! :x When people can't do anything without that blooming cell phone at their ear then things have got way outta line! :x Speaking of lines, did I mention the woman at the burger joint that was holding up everyone at lunch hour because she couldn't put down her cell phone long enough to pay for her order? :roll: I'm seeing it every day - at the market checkout, people driving their cars, at the bank, in the restrooms - water closets to you Brits. It's completely out of control! :wink: Doesn't any one realize there was life here on planet earth before there were cells? How about some feed-back?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Let us analyze the situation here. You have somewhere between 1 and 2 tons of steel, rubber, plastic, aluminum and glass hurtling along the ground at near 60 miles per hour. Four feet away (in the next lane) is another similar projectile moving at similar speed. Two more such projectiles track the same speed and directions, one is two seconds ahead and one is two seconds behind. You are the pilot of the first moving object. You don't need any more distractions. Please pay attention to the road and the other vehicles around you. Lives depend on your attention to detail. Obviously I voted "yes". Cell phones are a wonderful idea, indispensable in an emergency (when they work :roll: ) But there are way too many among us for whom the phone has become part of their anatomy. With some of these people I am afraid it will eventually have to be removed surgically.

Have a happy time!

A few years ago I was in a store where I had to speak with someone to get my stuff. It's the norm in this store - you write out what you want and someone goes to fetch the items from the back. So I'm talking to this guy when my phone rings. I pick it up, find out it's home calling and mute it and put it away. Seems like the right thing to do since I'm talking to this guy who's helping me get stuff. He's flabbergasted. He tells me that people just don't do that. I'm a little confused (do what?) and he tells me that he's had people have long drawn out conversations while he's trying to serve them. Amazing. How can people be so rude? I certainly don't consider what I did exceptional (everyone should be doing it) but he did. Says a lot about people as he sees more of them than I do. Study after study has shown that being on a cell phone is equivalent to being drunk. Being tired is arguably worse (depends how tired). Around here when you buy an SUV (vanity vehicle) I think you're given a gift certificate for plastic surgery - to implant the phone to your head. But maybe it's because people can't think for themselves so they their "brain" always in contact via cell :roll:

its a distracton for you, and the people around you on the road. I mean its great to have the technology to have cell phones, but in my state it has been the number one cause of accidents. i heard that my state governer is behind the law of usages of cell phones, unless if the driver is using hands free (that be using a headset connected by cord or bluetooth). "Come On Get OFF The Phone, and Pay attention to the ROAD!"

Ting4Heels

this is one of my pet hates here in the uk it is stupid and people should not be doig it, time and again i have seen van drivers, women, bus drivers!, and various executives on motorways driving with the phone glues to an ear, talk about dangerous, the worst are the people in the middle of citys negotiating rush hour traffic on the phone, they are an accodent waiting to happen. the good thing over here is that it is banned and u get a big fine and points on your licence if u are court doing it. if u must be on the phone park the dam car first! later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

I personally have never had any problems using a cell phone while driving. But I can walk and chew gum at the same time, too.

Other things I do while driving:

Listen to the radio

Sing along with the radio

Eat (ever hear of a "drive-through...?")

Talk with friends

If you're going to ticket people for using cell phones while driving, you're going to have to ticket them for all activities which are equally distracting.

Here's a crazy idea - ticket people for causing accidents, rather than for actitivies which, for a very small percentage of the population, might lead to an accident.

The truth of the matter is that most people can talk on their cell phones while driving and never have an accident. Why in the world should it be a ticketable offense?

I always use a Bluetooth headset in the car if I'm going to use my phone. I need at least one hand on the steering wheel and the other to change gear with. Actually DR1819, here in the UK you can be ticketed for any of the things you list if the police judge that you're concentrating more on those than the road. It's called "driving without due care and attention". There was a woman banned from driving a few months ago because she was putting her make-up on while driving. :roll: Chris

Nice. And how did the police "determine" she wasn't using due care and attention? Obviously, if she caused an accident, that would be one thing. I do NOT support banning people's driving, unless their faculties have deteriorated to the point where they can no longer safely drive. For several reasons: 1. It's long been proven that punishment doesn't work. The US jails have the highest percentage of it's population incarcerated and gang violence continues to rise. 2. It's a horrible deterrant. Fines proportional to net income are far more effective. 3. Retraining and encouragement are, by far, the best proven means of changing people's behavior. Think of the horrible cost - no transportation often means a change in jobs, costing tens of thousands of dollars - the punishment is WAY out of proportion to the crime.

well for your information DR1819, even blue tooth head sets cells are very dangerous, be cause there is STILL a distraction on the road while driving!! :roll: when you are driving, you SHOULD pay attention to the ROAD and NOTHING else!! :wink:

well for your information DR1819, even blue tooth head sets cells are very dangerous, be cause there is STILL a distraction on the road while driving!! :roll: when you are driving, you SHOULD pay attention to the ROAD and NOTHING else!! :wink:

Over the last 28 years, I've owned five cars until their deaths (by old age) and have driven somewhere between 600,000 and 750,000 miles, all while multitasking as our human brains were designed to do, eating burgers, talking on my cell phone, singing with my family, discussing topics, listening to music, etc.

I've never had an accident, except while parked (like stoplights) and someone has hit me (rear-ended three times).

Just lucky?

No. Rather, I'm simply able to focus an appropriate portion of my attention where it needs to be - on the road, while allowing the non-critical portion of my attention to attend to other tasks.

This talent is common among pilots, who must fly the plane, communicate with ATC, coordinate actions with other crewmembers, and operate often complex navigational equipment and aircraft controls. These tasks are far more involved and complex than driving while talking on a cell phone!

This talent is common among many professions, and others just possess it naturally. Some don't.

If you're among those who find it difficult to multitask, then by all means please do focus 100% of your attention on the road. But please don't tell me (or fine me) for doing things I've been doing all my life with aplomb and without any adverse consequences whatsoever.

I find that as offensive (and ridiculous) as other people passing laws against men wearing heels, skirts, or wearing their hair long, or getting earrings, etc.

In summary, by all means, do what suits you, but please refrain from telling others to do things that do not suit them.

It appears that the subject of cell phones is as volatile in here as it is in the real world. Not to be an antagonist, but driving while using a cell phone here in the US is becoming a serious problem. Lets face it; some people just get too wrapped up in a phone conversation to be able to talk and drive safely. We all have horror stories about some jerk (I'm refraining from using a more colorful metaphor) who is talking first, and driving second. I guess what is more of an issue is the ability to use common sense. By the way, I almost wiped out some guy using a cell phone this morning. The incredible thing is that he was WALKING not driving, and completely oblivious to his surroundings. He never noticed that he was crossing an intersection against the light. I wonder what might have happened in this scenario if I was on a cell phone at the same time. :roll: Thankfully, I don't have one nor do I need one. I'm not that important that someone would need to reach me in a moments notice.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

This talent is common among pilots, who must fly the plane, communicate with ATC, coordinate actions with other crewmembers, and operate often complex navigational equipment and aircraft controls. These tasks are far more involved and complex than driving while talking on a cell phone!

This talent is common among many professions, and others just possess it naturally. Some don't.

If you're among those who find it difficult to multitask, then by all means please do focus 100% of your attention on the road. But please don't tell me (or fine me) for doing things I've been doing all my life with aplomb and without any adverse consequences whatsoever.

I find that as offensive (and ridiculous) as other people passing laws against men wearing heels, skirts, or wearing their hair long, or getting earrings, etc.

In summary, by all means, do what suits you, but please refrain from telling others to do things that do not suit them.

The problem is that you are in the minority, not the majority. While some people are better at doing multiple things seeminly simulataneously many are not. And the brain does not multitask. It handles one thing at a time. We found this out in a conference by someone studying exactly this (cognitive psychology professor/researcher, first degree is engineering). Some people are better at task switching than others.

Even for those that task switch well your performance will be impaired. If you need to do an experiment, take the car on a race course and run as best you can. Then get on the phone and talk to someone and do the same thing. Do you think you'll do as well while on the phone? Yes, I know the race course is not the street but it does give an indication how much your performance drops. You can do the same thing with emergency stopping or swerving. How many times do you hit the object?

If you had to pick a law/rule/convention for EVERYONE to follow, would you ban cell phones or allow them? Personally, I'd ban them. The bar is too low to get a drivers license.

Some people don't know how to talk on a cell phone properly. Some can't drive well. Therefore, some people fall into both categories. THEY are the most dangerous. Personally, I learned how to drive well after I got a cell phone, and I'm probably the safest driver I know. I can talk on my phone while behind the wheel with no problem, but so many people are - let's just call a spade a spade - SIMPLE. I would gladly stop using my phone on the road if I knew that those people who CAN'T drive and talk were forbidden from doing so. I don't do it to say "Hey, this law is a bad idea," I do it because I can when the conversation is necessary. It's somehing I can do without and will do without if it ensures a safer road for everybody.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

First of all, I would like to emphasize in big bold letters that nobody is more in favor of individual freedom that this skirt-wearing heeler. Next I would like to point out that most states consider driving to be an activity so dangerous that it is illegal to do so without a special permit or license. Furthermore, I would like to mention that I have personally driven over a million miles (I generally put about 100,000 miles on a car and I've owned more than 13). I can't say that that million miles has been accident-free, but I don't think I've had more than 6 with only one major one (I'm talking over 40 years here folks).

Yes I know several aircraft pilots and I have even flown once myself. My good friend, the Navy pilot has described flying as hours of endless boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror. After his graphic description of a carrier landing, I now understand why they wear wings of gold - which should probably be upgraded to platinum.

In my personal experience, driving is a far more dangerous activity than flying. There is a sense of urgency or immediacy that I never experience in the air. On the ground in heavy traffic I often find I have only microseconds to make a decision or a move. Any sort of distraction can easily prove disasterous, if not fatal.

I do not personally know anyone who was born with either a steering wheel or a propeller in their hand. The skills required are so complex and demanding that the task(s) require much specialized training and complete concentration. Anything less is utterly foolish,

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

The problem is that you are in the minority, not the majority. While some people are better at doing multiple things seeminly simulataneously many are not.

I'm pretty sure everyone has talked while riding a bike...

And the brain does not multitask. It handles one thing at a time. We found this out in a conference by someone studying exactly this (cognitive psychology professor/researcher, first degree is engineering). Some people are better at task switching than others.

Even seen a marching band at halftime? The bandmembers march to complex choreographics while simultaneously playing complex music while simultaneous listening to others play while simultaneous watching the bendleader for timing cues.

It's not task switch, for if it were, there's be a lot of dropped notes and people running into one another.

If you had to pick a law/rule/convention for EVERYONE to follow, would you ban cell phones or allow them? Personally, I'd ban them. The bar is too low to get a drivers license.

Cars are dangerous, too. Some 35,000 people loose their lives in auto accidents each year. Following the logic behind banning cell phone use while driving, let's solve both problems and simply ban cars!

All of life carries risk. The appropriate solution isn't to ban things that are dangerous. The right approach is to educate people so that they make wise decisions. That way they're allowed to be adults, instead of being treated like children: "no talking in class" = "no using cell phones while driving."

I ceased being a child more than 30 years ago and will not allow anyone, including the government, to begin treating me like one.

If the government can't treat me like an adult, I'll simply move elsewhere so my tax dollars can support a government who will.

Ticketing people for talking on a cell phone may be a good way to increase state revenues, but the law against talking on a cell phone while driving in New York state doesn't seem to be working. I see people driving cars with phones to their ears everyday.

Sometimes I question the state ability to legally enforce this law too. Awhile ago when I actually had a car, I was ticketed for talking on a cell phone when I wasn't even talking on a cell phone. In court, the officer lied right through his teeth and told the judge about "our conversation". Huh?? My jaw dropped to the floor as the officer and I never had such a conversation. Without me even saying a word in my defense, the judge held up my sheet to which I checked "not guilty". As she aimed the sheet at the cop, she pointed to the "not guilty" box and I was free. How would he ever have proved beyond a reasonable doubt that I was actually talking on a phone to begin with?

This is another issue where finding a balance is key. Too much ticketing and "totalitarian" implications could set in. They may as well ticket women for putting lipstick on while driving, ticket men for using electric razors while driving, and ticket people for drinking soda from McDonalds while driving. Not enough ticketing, and people think they can get away with any amount of cell phone babble while operating a vehicle.

Tough issue to resolve.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I'm pretty sure everyone has talked while riding a bike...

Even seen a marching band at halftime? The bandmembers march to complex choreographics while simultaneously playing complex music while simultaneous listening to others play while simultaneous watching the bendleader for timing cues.

It's not task switch, for if it were, there's be a lot of dropped notes and people running into one another.

Cars are dangerous, too. Some 35,000 people loose their lives in auto accidents each year. Following the logic behind banning cell phone use while driving, let's solve both problems and simply ban cars!

All of life carries risk. The appropriate solution isn't to ban things that are dangerous. The right approach is to educate people so that they make wise decisions. That way they're allowed to be adults, instead of being treated like children: "no talking in class" = "no using cell phones while driving."

I ceased being a child more than 30 years ago and will not allow anyone, including the government, to begin treating me like one.

If the government can't treat me like an adult, I'll simply move elsewhere so my tax dollars can support a government who will.

The conference we participated in was very enlightening. The brain actually doesn't multitask in the way you're thinking. It does one thing at a time, just very quickly. When you're young the brain moves more quickly than when you're older. Ask anyone older if they were faster thinkers when they were young.

Have you heard of people that, when getting into an accident, proclaim "there was nothing I could do"? The reason for that (supported by the studies this professor had done) was their brain couldn't perform the task switch to figure out what to do, not that there was nothing that could be done.

There are plenty of things that the body and brain can do without involving higher functions. If you perform the same motion over and over you will get it without thinking about it - could be why those marching bands practice walking and playing (after learning the piece of course)?

Try doing two complicated things at once. Riding a bike and talking is trivial. Try advanced calculus and playing a flight simulator (with enemies turned on).

Your suggestion to ban cars is silly. I get the point, but it's silly. If life is inherently risky, why not ban life then? See, silly.

The idea behind teaching people to drive and pay attention to the roads is to reduce the amount of risk that everyone experiences while on the road. Driver training, experience, and thinking clearly are all good things.

A similar argument are helmet laws for motorcycles. Are they a good idea or bad? Freedom to not wear a helmet or protection for those that think they're invulnerable?

Having seen a large number of drivers on the cell phone doing really dumb things (nearly causing major accidents, tying up traffic, etc.), I'm all for this to improve the roads. It's only because of the others on the road watching out for these people that there wasn't a major crack-up. If you're able to talk and drive, great. Most can't do it safely.

Ticketing people for talking on a cell phone may be a good way to increase state revenues, but the law against talking on a cell phone while driving in New York state doesn't seem to be working. I see people driving cars with phones to their ears everyday.

Sometimes I question the state ability to legally enforce this law too. Awhile ago when I actually had a car, I was ticketed for talking on a cell phone when I wasn't even talking on a cell phone. In court, the officer lied right through his teeth and told the judge about "our conversation". Huh?? My jaw dropped to the floor as the officer and I never had such a conversation. Without me even saying a word in my defense, the judge held up my sheet to which I checked "not guilty". As she aimed the sheet at the cop, she pointed to the "not guilty" box and I was free. How would he ever have proved beyond a reasonable doubt that I was actually talking on a phone to begin with?

This is another issue where finding a balance is key. Too much ticketing and "totalitarian" implications could set in. They may as well ticket women for putting lipstick on while driving, ticket men for using electric razors while driving, and ticket people for drinking soda from McDonalds while driving. Not enough ticketing, and people think they can get away with any amount of cell phone babble while operating a vehicle.

Tough issue to resolve.

I've heard some places have banned them but don't enforce the law until there's an accident (not sure which as it was a conversation in passing). If you're in an accident and it is determined you were on the phone they fine you for that too.

The police can, as far as I understand, ticket you for doing all of those if in their opinion it is impacting your safe operation of the vehicle. How they determine this I'm not sure. I could guess at some ways (swerving for one) though.

I'm sure it was "enlightening." However, the brain most certainly multitasks on many cognitive and autonomous levels.

Consider what I'm doing now, all at the same time:

1. Thinking, specifically formulating this

2. Typing

3. Listening to music

4. Chewing gum

5. Breathing (this begins the autonomic nervous system part)

6. Heart-beating

7. Body temperature regulation

8. Regulation of intestinal functions

There's about another thirty items going on, right now, all the time, all together. The brain does not "task-switch." It multitasks.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Humans have unique neural capacities, but much of their brain structure is similar to that of other mammals. Basic systems that alert the nervous system to stimulus, that sense events in the environment, and monitor the condition of the body are similar to those of even non-mammalian vertebrates. The neural circuitry underlying human consciousness includes both the advanced neocortex and prototypical structures of the brainstem. The human brain also has a massive number of synaptic connections allowing for a great deal of parallel processing.

That's a computer term, and it's synonomous with u]multitasking.

The brain has been described by brain experts as a "massively parallel processing machine." In fact, so much goes on in the brain at the same time that it's utterly amazing.

What you're probably confusing the issue here is the fact that our cognitive attention is usually focused on between one, and at most, three areas. However, this totally ignores the fact that as you learn, whether that's how to ride a bike, walk, talk, drive, react to situations, etc., these processes are no longer controlled by the cognitive portion of the brain, concentration primarily in the procencephalon, but are instead relegated to autonomous functions, carried out primarily in the mesencephalon and the rhombencephalon.

It's a well-known fact that top atheletes in high-speed endeavors such as ping-pong have absolutely no time to think about their shots, but that those decisions have been learned and are executed at the spinal cord level most of the time, and occasionally in the hind brain. Every once in a while enough time exists for the forebrain to have some input (usually during lobs), and the result is often strange - a missed shot, despite the extra time.

The reason for this is simple survival - deeply learned responses are often executed at far greater speed and accuracy than shallower learned responses. This is one of the principle reasons tribes for years (and today) practice war - to ensure that all the lessons of fighting are deeply learned and nearly automatic, because the forebrain is just way, WAY to slow to actually handle critical tasks such as driving, dodging other band members, auto racing, except as an overseer and a key component of the feedback loop which trains the mesencephalon and the rhombencephalon and spinal cord.

In short, ANYONE can learn to multitask. All they must do is practice. That's what it takes for the neurons to associate, for the management functions of the brain to develop, and for true multi-tasking/parallel processing to move from cognitive function to learned function, which is handled much more efficiently in the lower brain functions than the higher ones.

It's the way the human brain was designed to funtion following 100,000,000 years of evolution.

It's simply the way we are. Put in the right situation, nearly everyone can multitask! It may be scary, it may be intense, but your brains are already wired for it.

Guaranteed.

Tough issue to resolve.

The town of Winnetka, IL considered this. They're the second suburb north of my current location (Evanston is the first).

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3993008

In short, ANYONE can learn to multitask. All they must do is practice.

This is where you will lose enough people to the point that merely mentioning it is disjointed at best.

Nice. And how did the police "determine" she wasn't using due care and attention? Obviously, if she caused an accident, that would be one thing.

Because she was caught on camera, looking at her reflection in the vanity mirror as she applied make-up whilst the vehicle was in motion. She also had a compact in one hand and a brush in the other. It only takes a second's glance away from the road for you to not see a car stopping in front of you, or a child stepping into the road. When you're driving you're in control of about a ton of steel, forgive me if I think you should be watching what you're doing in the process.

Chris

Hi to all, here my opinion. I voted for "not sure" but after thinking deeply about the issue, Im tending now more to "no". In Germany it's forbidden since several years to use cell phones during driving. No problem for me since I'm a convinced cell phone hater :oops: Thats my personal attitude towards "handys" - so they are called in Germany - but my personal opinion should never be a rule for others. Is it really dangerous? Yes and no. As dr1819 mentioned, many people are able to do several jobs at the same time. That's especially a capability of younger people. @guy in heels: naturally you are always doing only one job at the same time but your computer is working in the same manner. Every usual Windows or Linux computer is doing only one job at the actual time (countrary to multiprocessor computers). But your impression is that he does several jobs at the same time. Usually more than 20! Your machine does it's work in very short time slices. So you have the impression of a real multitasking. But nearly every human being has the same capabilities, at least at an age below 60 :wink: This was the physiological rsp. psychological part of of my answer. Now my ranting part against boring political correctness :roll: 1. In my country I have better chances to cause an accident without consequences as high heels wearing girl than driving as guy barefoot. For me that's simply ridiculous. I'm convinced that driving barefoot is the most sure style of car driving. 2. I'm sure that smoking in my car will be forbidden at least within the next few years. The political correct idiots will make guarenteed snapshots from me during driving :oops: 3. Another example. I'm an active chess player since decades. I have accepted the smoking and cell phone prohibition in the tournament room. Because I'm respecting the rights of non-smokers. But the president of the international chess organization FIDE Ilian Kirsumshinov (in my opinion a criminal mafioso and oil multimillioneer from Kalmukia) has decided to introduce doping controls for chess players. For becoming IOC member. Naturally that's a complete nonsense because there is no known method to enhance your intellectual possibilities by doping. At the last Chess Olympiade our best player, the russian immigrant Arthur Jussupov refused to take place. He said: that's all bullshit! I'll never take place under such conditions. He is drinking usually several cups of coffee during his games. Now it had become doping :cry: In my opionion its finally the time to defend against such political correct "better knowers". They are ruining our liberal and free society. I don't care anymore if they call them XYZ or G.W. Bush. My respect for Arthur Jussupow! I'm hating overregulations. micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Because she was caught on camera, looking at her reflection in the vanity mirror as she applied make-up whilst the vehicle was in motion. She also had a compact in one hand and a brush in the other. It only takes a second's glance away from the road for you to not see a car stopping in front of you, or a child stepping into the road. When you're driving you're in control of about a ton of steel, forgive me if I think you should be watching what you're doing in the process... Chris

You Brits really tickle me with laws like "Not using due care and attention..." Here in the States the charge would probably be something like "Negligent driving" or "Reckless driving". Nevertheless, you are quite right! These days if you take your eyes or your mind off the road for even a second it could easily be smackeroo! Our army teaches the troops that yer actually safer going into battle than driving on the US highways. Statistically, we've lost more people on our public highways than we have in all wars combined!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I voted yes on this one, and I'm a cell phone owner. I have been nearly run down on more than one occasion by those self important twits behind the wheel with a cellphone glued to their ear and running red lights. I have been a cell user when everybody was using bag phones and I have NEVER been using it while driving.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I voted yes on this one, and I'm a cell phone owner. I have been nearly run down on more than one occasion by those self important twits behind the wheel with a cellphone glued to their ear and running red lights. I have been a cell user when everybody was using bag phones and I have NEVER been using it while driving.

My point entirely! People will get 1 to 2 tons of machinery rolling down the road and then get so engrossed in their cell phone(s) that they lose all sense of proportion, danger, road courtesy, and everything else. Now if the conversation on the phone is all that important, why not simply pull over to the side of the road and quit endangering themselves and everyone else while they conduct the phone call? We've had automobiles on the road for over 100 years and cell phones for less than 20. Yet people act like the cell is more important than their driving and everything else.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Meanwhile, other people are quite able to multitask without any such risk - amazing! Not really, and if you're one of the ones that don't multitask well, by all means stay off that phone! But if you do multitask well, then by all means you should be free to go ahead and do so. Here's my pet peeve: Built-in GPS moving map displays. Let's face it, folks, while radios take but a glance to operate, these puppies really drag your attention away from what you're doing, particularly when they're located mid-dash about half way from top to bottom. Why haven't car manufacturers become more savvy and simply created a 16x9 main display screen just below the dash where your current instruments are displayed? Then they could put anything they want on there, with controls mounted on either the steering column or just to the upper right of the wheel, where the road and traffic would still be in your field of vision. But the mid-dash ones in most cars today are far more dangerous than driving while using your cell phone because they divert both your attention AND your eyes.

The problem is far more pronounced than one's ability to multi-task. Just yesterday I watched a woman on her cell phone park her 4X4 right outside the door of a burger joint, right in a fire lane, walk inside and order her food - all without ever once removing her cell from her ear. When I asked the manager if it was legal for the car to be parked at the door, she finally called the driver to task and made her move the vehicle. Did I mention that there were ample parking spaces available for anyone who wanted to properly park their car? This whole scenario is about a driver who would willfuly violate existing laws, place herself and a restaurant full of people at risk by disregarding their safety - all because that cell phone was much too important to put down. What's wrong with this picture?

...Here's my pet peeve: Built-in GPS moving map displays. Let's face it, folks, while radios take but a glance to operate, these puppies really drag your attention away from what you're doing, particularly when they're located mid-dash about half way from top to bottom. Why haven't car manufacturers become more savvy and simply created a 16x9 main display screen just below the dash where your current instruments are displayed? Then they could put anything they want on there, with controls mounted on either the steering column or just to the upper right of the wheel, where the road and traffic would still be in your field of vision...

Ahem... They have. Since I'm not being paid to advertise brands, I'll not name any. But I have seen cars where the driver's console is essentially a LCD screen where everything - speedometer, gas gauge, oil pressure. etc. is displayed right in front of the driver. About the only thing missing was a HUD like a modern fighter aircraft. Since most cars now use on-board computers, there's no reason why they can't also have the video display instead of the 50 year old gauges.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels