Bought new shoes... Not happy!

MikeyGee1

Hi all! I was passing a shoe shop this morning, when I saw they had a half-price sale on. I glanced at the rack of girly shoes outside the shop (as I do every morning - ignoring the dulllll men's shoes totally) and I saw a lovely pair of black 4" heels, with cut-away segments around the toe area and all along the outside length. Half price. I couldn't resist! However... I got them home, popped them on, thought: "Yeah, they're OK. Comfy. Easy to walk in. But would that lovely, pretty pair of flatties I also saw have looked prettier? Or the ones with the metal heel been more challenging to walk in?" And here we have my problem. Whenever I buy a pair of shoes, I always regret not buying 'that other pair' instead. The other pair would have looked prettier, or sexier, or sluttier. I am always after the really, really sexy, slutty, ultra-high heel pair, that I never seem to be able to buy. And if I did buy them, I'd want a pair I saw with 5" heels, or the white ones, or the ones with the ankle cuffs! Does anyone else suffer from this? I'd love to know!

MikeyGee1 -

First, WELCOME to the board.

To your question, no I don’t always want the other pair. The reason is I wear a women’s 13 and there generally isn’t another pair. However, I do wind up buying something that, when I get home, I start wondering when/where am I ever going to wear these.

Question, you do try the shoes on at the store don’t you?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

No, I don't try them on in the shop. I really wish I could. Sadly, the town in which I live would frown upon such behaviour. I even got some 'funny' looks when I queued up to buy them! I'm lucky, in that I wear a women's UK size 8, which has become a lot more common in recent years, and pretty/sexy shoes are available everywhere. I've still got the shoes I bought this morning on. They're not too bad. very comfortable (I have a low heel bone, and many shoes cut in. These are good, though.) I wish they looked a bit sexier, though. They promised a lot, but didn't quite deliver! Wish I'd bought the black patent flats with the pointed toe and buckle detail! But then, I'd have wished I'd bought the heels...

I'm surprised at the answers so far. I always buy, then think but what if those other ones felt better, or what about the ones with the less pointy toe box. Ah well I guess that's what dreams are for, if we had it all there'd be nothing to aspire to, and then life is dull.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Firstly, having UK9 feet I rarely have much of a choice in sales if any. If I was presented with that choice I have a simple solution, buy a pair of each... :rofl:

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

No, I don't try them on in the shop. I really wish I could. Sadly, the town in which I live would frown upon such behaviour. I even got some 'funny' looks when I queued up to buy them!

I'm lucky, in that I wear a women's UK size 8...

Where do you live? I think this thought is in your head. Now I have been scared trying shoes in the store, and I was very nervous buying shoes in first instances but in reality nothing bad happened. No-one throwned upon it. Sure, I've had giggly teenage girls and a middle-aged woman who was shall we say, wasn't thrilled, but no-one has tried to stop me and I'll be damned if they ever do!

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Sounds like you're pretty brave to buy shoes from the shop in the first place, and 8UK is pretty common. The other advantage of the larger sizes is often a taller heel. So what shoes shop sales would you recommend at the moment? I saw that Office have a sale on at the moment. Bob.

I don't think I've ever wished that I'd bought the other pair instead, but I have often wanted to buy them as well. I've *never* chosen a pair of flat shoes over heels though!

Chris

My feelings too. But I must say to each his/her own. I just happen to prefer heels.

My feelings too. But I must say to each his/her own. I just happen to prefer heels.

Good point, I should have made it clearer that I was referring to my own preference. Usually though I have a clear idea of what I like, and can usually decide on one pair or the other. Unless it's sale stock I have been known to go back a couple of weeks later and buy the other pair too!

I'm expecting some financial pain in Autumn when Faith and Duo bring out their new boot ranges. :roll:

Chris

• 1 year later...

I know the feeling; you see several pairs and decide on one then wonder if you made the right choice. Sometimes it's a debate over the color in the same style. Would be nice to be able to by them all!!

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I guess I'm kinda lucky. My wife and I always shoe shop together on line or in store. We both pick for each other as we know what each other looks good in and likes and we always, always try on instore. sometimes we even get the same matching pair. There again we are both fortunate as I wear a US 9 and she a US 8 so we always get what we want.

real men wear heels

The best thing to do is to try them on in the shop and not worry about anyone else because it is not their business. That is what I do. I always try them on in the shop and never have any problems. I have found that as I got older, I stopped worrying what other people think because it isn't my problem or their problem. I live my own life.

Regards,

Jamie

No, I don't try them on in the shop. I really wish I could. Sadly, the town in which I live would frown upon such behaviour. I even got some 'funny' looks when I queued up to buy them!

I'm lucky, in that I wear a women's UK size 8, which has become a lot more common in recent years, and pretty/sexy shoes are available everywhere.

I've still got the shoes I bought this morning on. They're not too bad. very comfortable (I have a low heel bone, and many shoes cut in. These are good, though.) I wish they looked a bit sexier, though. They promised a lot, but didn't quite deliver!

Wish I'd bought the black patent flats with the pointed toe and buckle detail! But then, I'd have wished I'd bought the heels...

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

thats just what I say Jamie001, I figure that its nobody's bussiness one way or the other so what they may think does NOT interest me in the least! (in other words, I could really care less)

I started buying them like you did: in retails, without trying them. For many times I have regreted not the style but the fitting, as it is very difficult to find size 12 US around here. Queueing was never a problem for me since, in my mind, I could be purchasing them for my wife as a present. Now I go to big stores where there are men and women shoes in nearby exposition rows, pick the ones I want, take them to the men's seats and try them there (of course if there is no one sitted by). Maybe this can help you in your next purchase.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i have felt the same way about shoes before after i've bought them. I see a killer pair of pumps in Macy's or Dillard's here in the US, and i buy them. Sometimes it's the price that bothers me. I coulda spent $20 more and bought some REALLY hot shoes, or coulda spent less and got some shoes that fit my budget. I saw the Steve Madden "Luvvy" pump at Dillards on friday night, and i couldn't resist. They are regularly $69.99 but they were on sale for $49.99. They also had Jessica Simpson's "Henri" pump, which i also adore, and they were the SAME price as the Luvvy pump. I wouldn't have been satisified if i had bought the JS pump, either, but i'm going to stick with these Luvvy's for now. There is only one bad thing i don't like about them. They are red patent leather, and they have a strap that goes over the foot, to make it into a mary jane pump. Well, it's a WHITE strap. Why couldn't they have put a red strap there? That would have looked a lot cuter! Anyway, i love them, so i'll have to get the Henri's later, along with 5 or 6 other styles of Jessica Simpson shoes, which i love!

They might be like the "Luvvy" pump. Before the "Luvvy" pump came out, Madden had the "Louicee" pump, which looked better than "Luvvy". They discontinued that pump pretty fast, for some reason. I am waiting for Miss Simpson to come out with a mary jane type of pump. She has some killer designs, like a bow on the vamp of the "Bacton" pump, a buckle on the vamp of the "Bellini" pump, leather "wings" on the sides of the "Polo" pump, and some contrasting colors on the I think it was the "Brenda" pump, like a black patent heel with the rest of the pump red patent, and stuff like that. VERY nice pumps, indeed!

• 2 months later...

yes. I am like you, the sluttier and higher the better and even after getting what you think is right there is still that nagging thought, 'should I have got the boots as well' especially if they were in the shop as well. Flats never appeal to me though, must have at least a 4" or higher heel for street wear. I do wear ladies colour plimsoles out though, especially the Dunlop Pink Flash when in the mood.

My average heel height is 61\2" on size 9 feet

• 1 month later...

It's just human nature. The last purchase I made, I bought a pair of pumps with ankle straps and a 5" high heel (which I wore out of the store), and my first pair of thigh boots with a 5" high heel. Feeling so good, I started to leave the store and then I saw a pair of patent leather oxfords with a 5 1/2" high heel. I almost felt disappointed even though I had just bought two great pairs of high heels. Enjoy and savour all of your high heels!;)