Boot modification - calf widening

Hi all, I'm a tall girl with wide calves and I always have an incredibly difficult time finding calf/knee-high boots that fit around my calves. When I do, they're usually far too baggy in the ankle. :roll: I'm a big fan of Dansko shoes, and I'm really in love with their "Fleur" boots. They are 13" tall (in the shaft) suede with a large V of goring that goes about halfway down the shaft. The stated shaft circumference of this boot is about 13 1/4". Of course, that's too narrow in the calf for me. I can zip them about halfway up. (I'm not sure if links are allowed here, but you can find these boots on Zappos.) Would it be possible to add additional goring, or replace the existing goring, to these boots to make them fit me? I'd need about 16 1/2"-17" in the calf. Is this something that could possibly be done... or must I give up my as-yet unrequited love for these boots? Thanks in advance!

Fantastic! I don't own the boots yet because I didn't want to buy them before knowing if this could be done. Should I just ask my various shoe repair shops around town if they can do this for me until I find one who can? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I can second Xaphod's recommendation of Duo, I have two pairs of their boots and they are beautifully made. I have muscular calves, so normal knee length boots will zip up apart from the last three or four inches. Both pairs of boots from Duo fit perfectly including the ankle. I would suggest making sure you can find a cobbler to adjust the ones you want before you buy them though. Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought a pair of knee length boots for my girlfriend and they wont do up past her calf and needs about 2-3 inch give to do up. Is there any way I can safely get the leather streched without ruining the boots.

• 1 year later...

This is actually quite an easy proceedure, I don't know how many times Achilles has done this for me.

Dr Shoe,

I know this is an older thread, but I have a few boots and they don't fit on the calfs. Can you give me some more information about this person.... I hope he can help me out.

FL

FoxyLady