What's the problem; toe or ankle?

Dexter23

I have been wearing 3" heels now for about 3 weeks and some time ago I even had some 5" heels (threw them out stupid me) But the biggest problem for me with wearing the higher heels were my toes, they just couln't bend that way around. My ankles were fine whey where no problem. I even wore some 6"pumps to sleep. And than a about 2 hours I just had to take them off because my toes hurt to much. Am I the only one with this problem ? _________________ Heels rule forever... <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-06-11 00:09 ]</font>

I had the same problem at the meet in Cambridge at the weekend. My ankles were fine, the only problem I had was that the balls of my feet started to really hurt. Sometimes I find that newer shoes can pinch my toes until they hurt, but if I wear them a few times so they stretch the problem normally stops.

Training strengthens the ball of the foot. You become used to it and your foot adapts to it. Builds up resistance and you can walk more. As for toes, try a half size larger, or full size in larger sizes. You should be able to wiggle your toes a bit in your shoes. If you cannot, don't get them.

True, most shoes go to a size 41 but like mine a size 42/43 and than a size bigger.... no way I can find them. Just like today, I went to Amsterdam (for work) and went looking for shoes, the cute ones are all a size 41, I tried on a pair but they didn't fit at all, not even close. Probaly Laurie, you can buy heels in anny shop lucky you. I wish I had a size 39/40 shoe.

Actually Dexter, I can't buy shoes in most stores, I take a US 10 or 11 depending on the style and heel height. Many times I must pass on the regular shoe stores because I know they won't have anything that will fit me, and sometimes they have European 40 as US 10 and I know that's not even close. But then, this is why I am picky about shoes, and I have returned shoes that I loved but could not fit so well. If I cannot wiggle those toes enough, they go back. Comfort can be found with high heels, if one has money and patience and a good supplier.

There are ways around the poor manufacturing policies of shoe companies. You can easily pad the ball area like I do, for increased comfort. And my feet are just a touch bigger than the normal width, which is fixed by breaking in the shoes at home. Since I have to go 11 (where am I going to find 10.5 US?) the shoes have room to change, and they adapt to my feet after a week of wearing them in the evenings. Practice and preperation, that's the key.

• 1 month later...

The point about padding has occurred to me in the past. All high heels that I have seen have very thin hard soles, offerring NO impact cushioning. I did wonder if a softer sole would effect stability ?. My wife has trouble with her ankles tending to fall outwards, and once it starts, the shoue get distorted making the situation even worse. ANy comments on this ?. Shane