Improbability of wearing 7" all day

On 2002-02-08 07:17, Anonymous wrote:

Prove them wrong Laurie. As far as people arguing whether 7" inch heels can be worn by you for an extended period...why it's all a matter of definitions...and I am Mr. Definitions...

I didn't mean to be anonymous, but either the server kicked out my username or I forgot, and then I can't edit...so be careful...Ben(Canada)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Ben, I plan to just try it out. I can cheat if the first attempt for a regular seven inch heel does not work, but it is not my intention. Ballet boots. Well someone asked me that once, a personal conversation, and what seems a long time ago now. I don't think I would try them just for the sake of reaching a certain height in heels. I am not as thrilled about the look. This whole experiment will happen as it happens. I will post most of the comments about the training for the seven inch goal on Jenny's forum, because I like the reply system better than here. All I can do is try. That, at least, can make the difference. I hope that it can be done in a purem traditional manner with regards to the style of shoes I choose. Everyone will have to wait and see.

Ben, I've done some ballet in the past, and ballet boots just don't duplicate the pointe position. There's a bit more to this than maths. On maths I won't get into an argument with you, seen your website and it looks like your a bit of an expert. Anyhow Laurie is only looking at extreme heels, like 7 inches, which if you have read my previous posts the're just a bit impractical. I have difficulty in understanding ballet boots would offer more support (with development) when as above they just don't duplicate the pointe position. (Going beyond mechanical stuff here) So be it, good luck to Laurie in her quest, read her posts on Jenny's site about this one, she's got a great sense of humour. PS: I've been to 7 inches or they were sold as 7 inch but actually 6½ and yeah there just not on for all day use. My all day height is generally in the range 4 - 5½. Ben your posts are interesting and give some of us non techies a chance of reply, you'll probably shoot me down in flames anyhow! Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

It seems like I've really started something here :smile: I used to do ballet when I was younger but I agree with Inga, these ballet boots do not look the same as proper ballet shoes. They look deformed to me. I've noever tried any on so I can't comment on the wearability of such boots but to me they look downright uncomfortable and ugly. No doubt I'll spark up someone's interest on this subject B) Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

Hi Debbie and Inga, thanks for the replies. :smile: I don't bite and I don't ever mean to shoot people down in flames, but I love to discuss till the cows come home. Debbie, I guess I'll add ballet boots to the list of things you think are ugly. B) I don't think ballet boots have to look like proper ballet shoes at all, why they can look like anything at all in my opinion. I know many look a bit clunky, but I have seen some really nice ones too. I researched the issue of ballet boots quite a bit theoretically that is. My whole curiosity in people wearing high heels of any sort is only recent. It was sparked by the comments by one of my many fashion hating female friends during an outing in the last year. In the course of her ranting on and on about how stupid most female fashions were, she mentioned...and then I heard that women are starting to wear high heels where they basically stand on their toes. I looked it up, and they were called ballet heels or ballet boots. At first I thought more like you. I imagined right away that this must be a most bizarre type of shoe for people who are into hurting themselves. But as I read on and on, I came away with a different impression. Now in this thread we are talking about women wearing very high heels shoes all day long. Sure if one compares ballet boots to 4" high heels, the ballet boots are indeed difficult for most women to wear. But if one compares ballet boots to 6 or 7" heels, I think the story is different. It appears that some women are able to wear ballet boots all day long, which is almost more than everyone is saying about wearing more traditional 7" high heels. Properly fitted ballet boots apparently do not put much pressure on the toes but rather spread it out throughout the foot. The tight lacing keeps the heel in the socket of the shoe. The added advantage is that there is no pressure put on the ball of the foot, which can be a problem for the other types of very high heels shoes. I pulled the following off the Internet: "In regards to wearing high heels permanently, Spook's choice of ballet boots is oddly an excellent one. Ballet boots usually have tight ankles. High heel shoes with ankle straps and boots with tight ankles help support and protect shortened Achilles tendons and ankles. They function like ankle wraps." This was clarified in the article as not necessarily relating to people who have lost the flexibility in their feet but rather one's that like to wear high heels all day long. The last I heard, Spook was often wearing ballet boots all day long. Some are saying in this thread that wearing really high heels of 7" is not possible all day long, while here I see that people are wearing ballet boots all day long. And this makes me wonder if properly made and fitted ballet boots with practice can be more practical than traditional extreme high heels. Personally all the research I did put a whole different light on ballet boots. I started seeing them as the more logical way of wearing really high heels. I think that not many people try to wear ballet boots and this is the reason why they have a bad rap. Personally I came to view them as the more perfect way of wearing really high heels, and in my mind they turned into a thing of beauty. For many people wearing or looking at extremely high heels is an exciting thing. Why wouldn't more people be interested in adding an extra 2" of heel height without platforms to make things even more exciting? I like this forum because it promotes high style without the usual nudity and extreme sexuality. Are there any in this forum that like to experiment off the traditional edge? :eek: Ben <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-10 05:50 ]</font>

Experiment off the traditional edge? Give us some more definition, and some examples. I might hate the traditional edge and enjoy the experiments, but we could be talking about two totally different areas. Conformity is death. To live is to be yourself, an individual.

Hiya Ben, I've just done a search and had a look at the 'spook' you refer to. She's pretty 'goth' (gothic) to me, it's not hard to get the gist of what you mean by "Experiment off the traditional edge". I'm not at that level (may'be for a fancy dress night). Actually, I have a professional job where I manage a team of people whose work involves legislative interpretation. (Telling you a lot about me - I'm in that area so often referred to middle management) To work I wear suits with heels 4-5 inch, they don't look out of the ordinary. On the weekend afternoons my casual rig usually has a denim twang to it with heels. Weekend mornings I usually go cycling - can't wear heels here, just all that lycra clobber. B) Have a great day, Inga :smile:

Moved these messages from the 7" pumps topic to here:

Posted: 2002-02-10 05:47 by hhpumps

7" pumps would certainly be impossible to wear all day. i have a pair of 7" black patent pumps in a size 12. i can barly walk across the room. although i am getting better. maybe i'l be able to walk across 2 rooms before long. the hardest part is straightening you knees out.

Posted: 2002-02-10 07:07 by IHeels

Hiya,

I've taken this from my other post in the "Improbability of wearing 7" all day" thread. Just my opinion and I've been wearing HH for more than 20 years.

"I did ballet when I was younger and still remain flexible, I also have high arched feet, yet 6½" is an upper limit - OK for the odd occasion when you dont have walk any distance. 5½" now these I can wear all day and even run a bit if I'm feeling stupid.

7" forget it".

Inga

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Inga and Laurie, :smile: I slipped up in failing to define what I meant by "Are there any in this forum that like to experiment off the traditional edge". I was scratching my head about your comments Laurie. We had some communication about you liking to be an individual and not liking conformity. Then your last comments regarding working towards wearing really high heel shoes went..."I hope that it can be done in a purem traditional manner with regards to the style of shoes I choose". While that could have been not totally related to what I was thinking about, I could not figure out how to file the earlier comments with some of the latter one's you made which appeared to be more of a conservative nature. And Inga, I felt you were knocking styles for technical reasons that you weren't totally familiar with. So that is what was going through my mind when I asked the question. I thought because many of you came from Jenny's High Stiletto Heels Site you regarded more superior some type of purem traditional high heel and a whole mindset that went along with that. It appeared this was as far as anyone wanted to go into "more unusual territory". :???:

In many things I am quite drawn to going into, or others going into, the zone that is the fine line between what society often relates to as decent and the other side which is more radical. Regarding things people wear, I am not the most attracted to things that happen behind closed bedroom doors, but rather people that are pushing the edge of styles worn in public for everyday purposes such as for work, recreation, free time, parties, and events. I think this is the real world of fashion. While I am quite curious how many of you feel in all aspects of style, and what inner spirit makes you want to wear what you wear, right here I want to avoid getting tangled up in those very much bigger issues. I will limit my question to only specific technical issues of really high heel styles in keeping with the subject slant of this thread. I think in a more basic sense, most people in the forum are into pushing through this line at least a bit. Most of you men wearing high heels are doing so. Laurie, I think it is quite nice you are pushing the line and going for wearing higher heels than most others around you wear for daily purposes. And Inga, I think you wearing 5 inch heels to work sometimes is already pushing the line. Wearing Lycra for bicycling and then jumping into high heels makes you a versatile dresser, which I think is quite exciting. There are other people in this forum who do equally interesting things.

But then I am still curious about the fine line again and about things I don't seem to see mentioned at all or are largely rejected here. From all my research, it appears to me that the only way to achieve wearing really high heels properly is to do at least some advanced foot training use foot bending jigs rather than just using basic training by wearing higher and higher heels. Like I said before sometimes these can be used to extreme. According to the web article Creating a High Heeled Woman http://newagequest.com/HH/highheels.html#list this is the only proper way to achieve walking in ultra heels without bending the knees. I haven't seen any reference to this here. A lot of people in this forum don't like to see platform shoes. These are quite popular today, but not in this forum, and I wonder why? Personally I don't like the looks of platform shoes where the heel of the shoe is not much higher than the toes. I think the platform only looks good on certain very high heeled shoes where it is used in extending the height of the heel beyond what could be achieved by normal means, when the arch is already angled as far as it will go. I have heard that ballet boots seem to be making their way more out of the bedroom and onto the streets and this is pushing the line. Are they too radical for treading the line. Maybe for wearing for work in many cases, but I don't think they are too radical for certain other situations. Maybe you don't like them because you have heard they are impossible to wear? It appears however that properly fitted, people can wear them longer at a stretch than the more classic very high heel. Personally I like the shape of the ballet boot much better than the more classic very high heel. A lower classic high heel looks nice enough, but when the arch of the foot is angled vertically on the very high heel shoe, the toes appear to be bend so unnaturally in the classic shoe, while in the ballet boot the foot is basically in the much more elegant extended position. It has to be understood that the ballet boot is highly technical footwear. There are other tricks that can be used in shoes to make it possible to wear even higher heels such as angling the toe portion on the shoe. So these are my ideas, but I would really like to hear yours. In the following I have defined the terms. B)

Regarding really high heel shoes, I am curious, how many, and to what degree do people in this forum:

(1) like to experiment with, model, wear daily, wear occasionally, talk about, read about, look at pictures, create pictures of, design, make, analyze, see real people, or fantasize,

(2) about the wearing of, deciding to wear, giving in to wearing, being persuaded to wear, wearing more often, becoming more popular,

(3) of shoes with heels higher than 4" above the horizontal plane of the end of the big toe, the heel length being measured from the toe plane to the upper meeting point of the heel to the shoe,

(4) where the designs of the shoes are reasonably different than the popularly accepted more classical shoe styles of today, these classical styles being defined here roughly of the type where the toes and ball of the foot are horizontal within 5 degrees in the high heel shoe, and the toes and ball of the foot are within 1/4 inch or less from the ground, and the heel extending roughly from the center of the heel area of the shoe,

(5) and regarding foot training for wearing really high heel shoes, how many use or think a foot bending jig should be used to achieve the properly shaped foot?

I would be interested in seeing replies, you could phrase them similar in format to the following example and you could write about more than one...I like to read about people, suddenly waking up and deciding to wear, really high heel shoes where the heel is over 6 inches in height above the toes, ideally one of these would be ballet boots with 9 inch heels, and would be worn sometimes at home and in public for certain special times out, and the wearer uses foot bending jigs used carefully, which shows they are technically savvy and smart in achieving their goal, which is quite exhilarating.

Ben B)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-11 00:36 ]</font>

Hiya Ben, I see that you have a lot to say on the subject :smile: and yes you can add ballet boots tothe list of my dislikes. I can understand I suppose what you say about them giving support to the ankle. That's what I like about my Oxfords, being a higher lace up fron they give support unlike the courts which are harder to walk in. Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

i have to agree with debbie. ballet boots look totally ridiculous as well as platforms being not sexy at all. however, i do not entirely like the high heel oxford type shoe either. maybe i should try a pair with 6" or taller heels. there is nothing sexier than a pair of stiletto heels, expecially in black patent!!

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

I don't like the look of ballets either - they always remind me of a partially amputated foot with the front part missing. The arch of the sole looks nice, but that's all. IMHO it would look a lot better if a (dummy) front was present, so that at least it would like a complete foot was involved. That might also have a positive effect on maintaining your equilibrium, since there is a larger contact area with the ground.

Hi Debbie, Inga, Laurie, Tom, and everyone else :smile: Guess again my tastes are out of line with the groups I am in. Not that any of the things I like aren't talked about somewhere, but not in the context and groups I am often in. I often think I must have come in from outer space, but that's OK. Don't get me wrong, I do like many different shoe styles. Debbie, I think when a person is trying to wear really high heel styles it is neat if they are able to wear them all day long in reasonable comfort, so when I see you wear your Oxfords, I think that is really nice. B) Inga, when I was referring to Spook, who wears the ballet boots, I wasn't really relating to her clothing styles. My own tastes in women's and men's clothing is somewhere else. By the way, I also like to bicycle quite a lot, my favorite is touring, and I have traveled thousands of kilometers this way. I also have checked out your fair city. Some years ago I did a 18,000 km, 7 month motorcycle trip all around Australia. B) Laurie, I am curious about all the details behind you wanting to wear higher heels, and your training methods. I thought I looked through the threads on Jenny's site at one time. Or is this all secret? :roll: Tom, regarding the ballet boots "missing part of the foot". If one looks at a cutaway of someone wearing a really high heel shoe with very pointy toes, much of the shoe toe is completely hollow. So when I see a shoe like this, in my mind it looks to me like a false front, like if someone stuck on a piece of shoe in front with nothing inside. I think typical toes and soles look good in high heel shoes with up to about 5 inch heel height above the toe, then after that I think it makes sense and looks nice to go to other alternatives such as ramps, platforms, and ballet styles, as I mentioned in my earlier post. And in context of this you made a good point. Ballet boots are hard to walk in because there is little side stability. A high heel boot in effect can be a cross between a ballet boot and a normal shoe, which would have a wider sole. It could also contain a toe ramp. I believe I have seen such a style. I think the tricky part is to make it look right. Putting a toe on a ballet boot probably would look unnatural because the foot would look much too long. I would be interested to see examples of styles between the basic ramp, platform, or ballet style, because without seeing them, one can not imagine if they would look nice. :smile: Ben <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-11 19:43 ]</font>

Hello,

well now I've to add my comment, finally. Well the ballet boots - I have one myself, well just for fun, to go to the extreme point... as many know, I do have a thing, for a little exotic shoe styles B)

And yes there are styles between the classic heels and ballet heels:

Posted Image

it's taken form the german website: www.high-heels-fashion.de

there it's shown in this gallery: semi-ballet-1

and in this gallery: semi-ballet-2

Now I'm interested into your opinion!

best wishes

Joak :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joak on 2002-02-11 20:34 ]</font>

joak - everyone is entitled to their opinion and the styles that they like. i have visited your site and it is wonderful. however, the picture you posted is in my opinion just ridiculous looking. you do have some very nice shoes in your gallery. on platforms, you do have one nice pair of black patent heels with just a slight platform. they do look nice. keep your site going. i really liked your vacation pictures walking through the water and up over the rocks.

Hello HH-Pumps, welll the picture I was showing was about ideas others have had. Well I do like some new ideas - even it's only because it's new B) Well, if so I think I would prefer a "normal" ballet boot with wedge heel B) Well so everyone has his/her own playground... I do only have a black suede stiletto pumps with a slightly platform - yes I do like the look of them too. About my vacation pictures, it was just for fun - I also purchased the heels (at ebay) just for the reason. But be shure, I was not walking much more steps in my heels as shown on the pictures around in that area :roll: I already recognized that my webiste visitors are visiting that picture collection quite often. best wishes Joak :smile:

Ben you wrote: Laurie, I am curious about all the details behind you wanting to wear higher heels, and your training methods. I thought I looked through the threads on Jenny's site at one time. Or is this all secret? It's not a secret, it's an adventure in my life, and I choose to reveal it a bit at any given time. I wish to wear higher heels because I like the way they make my legs look. I have a pair with a five inch stiletto heel, but I need to work up to a day's endurance. So why not try six? And then seven? In part, I am doing this to see how far I can go, and to see if it can be done. Another part does this for someone else. The fact that my goal fits into so many little parts is just a benefit of what I like. I will post diary entries on both sites, the same entry, of course. And it will be a true story everyone can follow. It's only Monday night and already I have some good information for my next entry. Yiu just have to find out with everyone else what motivates me, and it will just be written about as we go along. I do like to write, maybe some people have noticed...

Hiya Ben, This is rather amazing: You wrote: "(4) where the designs of the shoes are reasonably different than the popularly accepted more classical shoe styles of today, these classical styles being defined here roughly of the type where the toes and ball of the foot are horizontal within 5 degrees in the high heel shoe, and the toes and ball of the foot are within 1/4 inch or less from the ground, and the heel extending roughly from the center of the heel area of the shoe,.." What do we have to do to work all this out get out a protractor!! B) Like Debbie as I've intimated in my previous posts ballet boots really are NOT my go. Probably the same applies for those amazing things Joak posted, which I think are called pony shoes (not sure actually). I,m also a bit of gossiper no one would guess! B) Inga :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-15 12:01 ]</font>

I'm not quite sure what they would be called, but pony boots is close!

However, they usual pony boots have a semblance of a hoof as the main part of the shoe and have no heel!

like so;

Posted Image

as described by one person on the net, "exciting and very exotic, in other words, expensive"

Personally, I would put these in the curiousity category for wanting to try them. I doubt I would buy a pair even if I had the money spare

here i go again with my opinion - i think the pony shoe is 100% ridiculous looking. i don't know how anybody could wear them and they are surely not at all flattering and surely not sexy. just give me a plain old patent leather classic pump and i'll be happy, as long as they are 5" at least.

Hi Joak, Inga, Francis and all :smile: Joak, didn't like the semi-ballet style. Didn't like the pony boots either, Francis. But how would we define what we like unless we see a variety of styles. Inga you are a real joker, you can poke fun of what I write anytime. I am in the middle of writing a patent and the claims go something like the style of what I wrote, so I guess I got a little carried away. So you are a gossiper too? I think you might be quite a naughty gal. Ben B) <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-13 19:06 ]</font>

Hiya Ben, Thanks for good humour. I could give you the Sybil Fawlty but I won't, anyhow me naughty, no, cynical possibly. I just hope those reading the 'patent' have a better grasp of technical jargon of this nature than I. May'be I should serve up some latin legalese we could probably have a good chat as a result. Keep the posts coming I do enjoy the light banter. Have a great day. Inga :smile:

• 1 month later...

Hello Just wanted to contribute something as well. I also think 7 inch heels if for people who have european size 42 and up. I have big feet for my height, size 39 european. and I can comfortably wear 5,5 inch, that's about as high as i can go. I have full 6 inch heels as well, but i wouldn't wear those to work, they slow me down to work. I do wear them in the house sometimes, in bed and rarely to go clubbing. Reading this forum, made me very curious about ballet heels, I would really like to try them out. When i was younger i practiced the ballet, so i guess i have had a little training already. is there anybody who knows where i can get nice ballet heels?

Hi pfuonginheels, nice to see another Belgian on the board, welcome. For ballets, try the Thomas website on http://home.a-e-c.org/fetisch/BBindex.htm

It's in German but as all Belgians are good polyglots I'm sure you'll find your way around.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Thank you Highluc, it is indeed nice to find another person in Belgium who likes the high heels. I thank you much for the link to that site, I contacted hotheels.de and ordered the z2 ballerinas. I am very anxious to find out how they will feel on my feet. I will keep you up to date.

Size 7? Well that would do it then. It is difficult to keep my anything is possible if you try attitude when faced with that bit of information. I know it can be tough. Strange, taller women, larger feet, and thus higher heels, making for taller women. This world is indeed strange.