Platforms vs non-platforms

Nikk

I've always liked the look of high platforms like some of the pictures ShockQueen has posted, but not yet tried them. I can wear 4" heels with a fairly flat sole but want to be able to wear something like 6" heel with 2" platform for some club nights. Would you suggest getting boots first, with the extra ankle support, or doesn't it help much ? I'm impatient to push my limits, but could do without a broken ankle en route Thanks Nikk

As long as you are walking well in the 4" heels, then I would say go for it as long as your sense of balance is good (and aren't planning on getting :smile: too :smile: tipsy). I've found that I can currently wear any style that has a 4" "true lift", such as 6" heel w/2" plat. Give it a try - it couldn't hurt!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

The best thing is if you are going to wear them out clubbing, you should wear them around the house for a few days before doing so.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Thanks ... I've taken the plunge & bought some 6"/2" platforms. Not too precarious, although I should probably have gone for a slightly thicker heel. The extra couple of inches make me feel incredibly tall ... Wheee!! I'll probably wear them in the office for at least a couple of weeks (I work on my own, so no issues there) before giving them an outing

Anything more than 2" plat can be quite unstable. It's broken ankle territory, but it does depend on the make of the shoe and how flared the plat is. Baby spice (Emma Bunton) famously broke her ankle in 2 1/2" plat spice girl trainers.

In my years of wearing plats, one thing I've noticed is that for some reason, it's more stable if there's at least a 2" difference between the heel and platform. When the heel and platform are pretty close in elevation, it's like wearing a sneaker (trainer): your foot is too relaxed. That causes problems 'cause when you trip or stumble, your muscles aren't fully engaged for support. The only time I've come close to breaking my ankles is in trainers...

I see what you mean. Seems surprisingly fine on flat floors, especially carpeted, but stairs, slopes & uneven surfaces are a weird experience just now. Weird but fun ... unless I break my neck of course :smile: I'm sure I'll get used to it, but think I'll allow a good bit more time to get used to them before any serious partying.

To wear in public I would wear non-platforms easyer than platforms, Probaly because non-platforms don't attract that mutch attention If you are wearing platforms the hight you gain is mutch more. Usualy i want to keep a bit of a low profile so platforms are not realy an option than.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave the new platforms a good outing last weekend - kept to some wedges for dining and then the 6"/2" platforms for clubbing, worn with black split leg pants and a white shirt. One or two dodgy moments with stairs but felt great & feet didn't object, as a result of some serious acclimatisation over the past few weeks. Got some attention from a few pleasant young ladies to the slight irritation of my wife

i like platforms with a chunky heel, or when it's a one-piece platoform. i have quite a few pairs that have a funky, 70s-ish look. plats were also popular during the 1940s. i'm not a big fan of stilettos/spikes with platforms, it does tend to ruin the profile. i suppose it is cheating, but i'm not into heels as a challenge. i'm short, 5'4", and i don't mind it in the least. i have no desire to really be taller. i also can't stand the stiletto plat sandals that strippers seem to like. they just seem tacky, probably because they are so frequently on the feet of those in the "adult" biz.

Well I guess... growing up in the 70s with a serious shoe fetish I will always have a love of platforms. And wedge platforms. Still today I love plats and wedges. And have about 10 pair in my collection.....

• 2 months later...

Anything more than 2" plat can be quite unstable. It's broken ankle territory, but it does depend on the make of the shoe and how flared the plat is.

If contact with he ground decreases, it's less safer... but some people really say that walking in high platforms is easier than lower or platforms... I like the way platforms look, but wear is not that great :smile:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

HH forever!

I quite like patforms, infact I am wearing a pair of platform sandals similar to Stellah's 2nd pic (the 6" inch platforms) and I was very suprised at exactly HOW stable they were when I first put them on!, gotta go. later TXT-1

I like platforms but am more into boots than strappy shoes. However, I have some beautiful 6" stiletto hees on 2" platforms which I enjoy wearing around the house. Stability dos not seem to be a problem but I wouldn't like to walk down a cobbled street in them. I seem to rember from the 70's some of the guys at school had platform boots that look identical to girls' platform boots of today. Just today I had the benefit of seeing a girl try on a brand new pair of platforms in a local shop. They fitted, she kept them on, paid for them and left. Was I envious or what! B-booted

Well, I only 2 pair of high heels. :smile: One pair is a nice 5in pump and the other is a pair of 6" stiletto hees on 2" platforms. I like them both, :grin: but they are different in how they feel to wear and in walking. :grin: Iam only wearing them in the house. But as some of you have said, the pumps give you a more tactal feel on your feet. The plats seem stable and hide the surface feel. I do have a litte more trouble on rugs and unsmooth surfaces with the platforms. I haven't tried boots yet. :grin:

I remember from science class that anytime you increase the height of an object, you also raise it's center of gravity. And the result is that the body’s musculoskeletal and neurological systems must exert more effort in order to maintain stability. If you want more stability with platform shoes, stay away from tapered platforms. The more platform that contacts the ground, the more stable it will be. Another fact about platforms and heels ... they isolate your foot from the ground, thereby diminishing your sense of touch. And a final fact about platforms and heels .... they extend your feet. So be carefull when encountering surfaces of varying heights such as entering a car, or walking on steps. PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

they extend your feet. So be carefull when encountering surfaces of varying heights such as entering a car, or walking on steps.

Walking on steps is no problem if you wear the same platform heigth on each foot (logical). If the step heigth of stairs is 7 inches you will have to raise each foot 7 inches higher, be it on flats or on platforms, no difference.

Getting into a car is a little different because out of habit you raise your knee only to a certain level you know will be sufficient for your feet to clear the sill. With platforms you will need to get your knee the extra platform elevation higher. You quickly get used to it for platforms up to 2 inches, higher plats need more practice.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

....Walking on steps is no problem if you wear the same platform heigth on each foot (logical). If the step heigth of stairs is 7 inches you will have to raise each foot 7 inches higher, be it on flats or on platforms, no difference.

Getting into a car is a little different because out of habit you raise your knee only to a certain level you know will be sufficient for your feet to clear the sill. With platforms you will need to get your knee the extra platform elevation higher. You quickly get used to it for platforms up to 2 inches, higher plats need more practice.

Technically both steps and cars involve lifting your legs a vertical distance that is the same whether you are wearing platforms or flats. But there is a difference in how we use our body to perform these actions properly and safely. Allow me to explain with an example.

Suppose I was wearing flats and the steps are 9 inches high. It's obvious that I would have to raise my leg 9 inches to clear the steps.

I don't know about you, but when I'm wearing platforms, I can't see them from above when I look at my feet. However I can see my foot.

Suppose I was not carefull while wearing 2 inch platforms. Since my feet are already 2 inches above the ground, I would only have to raise my leg 7 inches to clear the step. But because of the memory lapse, I would have a tendency to raise my leg just enough to clear my foot over the edge. Afterall, I'm using visual cues and not a ruler. So that would mean I'm raising my leg just 5 inches instead of the required 7 inches. And that results in my platform hitting the edge of the step and stumbling. Now do you see why I say there is a difference?

This same principle applies to entering cars while wearing platforms.

I'm sorry I did not make this clear in my previous posting.

PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Sorry PJ, but your expanations about the 9 inch steps with 2 inch platforms and 5 inch lift for 7 inch clearance confused me even more. Can you tell me how much experience you have on platforms in the real world (means normal walking outside on different pavements in various weather conditions and a bit of driving around or boarding busses or trains?). I'm not bad in math but I'm even better on platforms and take it from me, a 50 year old man who still wears platforms of all heigths since 1971, going up stairs is the same, platforms or not. When I climb stairs, I look in front of me, not at my feet, and the steps are the same heigth whatever you wear on your feet. Platforms and heels are best worn with sublime feelings and ballance, I don't care if people make video studies of gait etc or try to explain it with mathematics, as long as they don't start try convincing unexperienced people walking on anything but flats is difficult, dangerous or unhealthy.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Sorry PJ, but your expanations about the 9 inch steps with 2 inch platforms and 5 inch lift for 7 inch clearance confused me even more...

Sorry Highluc, I was afraid that a verbal explanation might be confusing to comprehend. Probably a live demonstration would be easier to support my claim.

....Can you tell me how much experience you have on platforms in the real world (means normal walking outside on different pavements in various weather conditions and a bit of driving around or boarding busses or trains?)....

Compared to you, I'm a novice. I've owned nothing higher than 1 inch platforms. I have worn them on probably 10 days in my life. The most difficult obstacle I ever encountered was indoor steps. Never been outside in platforms. Maybe if I had your experience, I would not have the problem I explained in my example.

Maybe I should avoid steps and use elevators. :smile:

PJ

Maybe I should avoid steps and use elevators.

Hell no PJ, conquering obstacles is a very rewarding activity for any human so practice, practice and practice even more till it becomes natural.

Show courage and perseverence and enjoy the pleasure of your newly acquired skills. Good luck, Highluc.

I personally like shoes without platforms. I think it is a kind of "bondagey" thing? Plats look great with the perfect feet, its like they are on their own stages for all the world to see. Stillettos without plats are also more felinish and femine looking in my opinion as well, thats why I love to look and wear!