dr1819

Have/Do you wear skirts?  

338 members have voted

1. 1. Have/Do you wear skirts?

• Male and Nope! Never!
    • Male and wear skirts
    • Male and wear kilts
    • Male and wear both/either
    • Female and wear skirts/kilts/sarongs/etc.
    • Female and Nope! Never!
    • I'm thinking it about it, but no decisions yet...

I got burned pretty badly by boiling radiator water on my thighs today. Obviously I didn't want to take my pants back on to go to the emergency room, so I was pretty happy that I have skirts in my closet. Wearing a wrap-around skirt was a much better choice in such a situation. Go skirts !

OUCH!!! AGONY! :smile::o Having been burned several times myself, I know what yer going through. I will be saying prayers for you, Pumps.

As far as going to the ER, that's no time to be worried about what you look like. In fact, you might have actually been better off to simply get into a tub of cold water with your clothes on. This proved to be the most effective first-aid treatment for burns during WWII. ;) The idea is to try and remove as much heat from the affected area as quickly as possible. Especially with a scalding type of injury, the caloric input is enormous and you want to try and reduce that as much as possible.

On the other hand, by changing into a skirt, you may have saved yer pants; because some hospitals simply cut them off of burn victims. Either way, my prayers will be going out for you. Keep yourself clean and follow the doctor's instructions to the letter, because the biggest problem with burns is infection.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. I can see what you mean. the cold water would have stayed on better with the pants on. I just took them of and went into the shower. Going out the door the skirt was the best choice. I went up to a check up today and with the bandages on my thighs I couldn't wear pants, so once again the skirt was the obvious choice.

Thanks.

I can see what you mean. the cold water would have stayed on better with the pants on. I just took them of and went into the shower. Going out the door the skirt was the best choice. I went up to a check up today and with the bandages on my thighs I couldn't wear pants, so once again the skirt was the obvious choice.

One more thing, if your doctor(s) are using silver nitrate to treat your injuries, that stuff will blacken your clothing and linens, and it won't wash out. So be sure to use old clothing and linens that you don't mind getting blackened or yer willing to throw away afterwards. The silver will help to keep down infections, but it does leave some ugly stains behind.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Why not? Like's it's a new thing? Yo, I bought one back in the states. The girl asked, "for you?" cause of the size. I said, "Yeah, so?" and she came back with, "what you want to be wearing a skirt for?" with a pouty face, so I said, "It's cool." "Skirts ain't cool!" but I said, "Yeah, they are, cool between the middle, if you get my draft" She did, laughed, then said, "whatever." Some chicks way too up about the way things look, instead of what they is, know what I mean?

Well, I get your point. Although I don't wear any male unbifurcated garments, I'll agree that a skirt would be better for guys to wear everyday because of male anatomy and physiology. Well, men started wearing pants here because of horse riding, and now they can go back into skirts (but pants would be better for cycling, motorbike riding etc.).

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I've been wearing skirts since I came home from the hospital thursday and even though I'm used to it, I'm pretty surprised about the attention I'm getting. I've been to the hospital 4 times now and basically my skirt was commented plenty by the doctors and nurses. One nurse said that it was it was a much better choice than pants, because the wound needed to breathe, yet she still wondered why I wore it. I guess the fact that few women wears skirts right now, makes me stand out more. The most annoying incident was when I went outside a took some pictures of the neighbourhood to test my new camera and this guy kept staring at me and eventually asked me (in a hostile tone) what I was photographing. I told him that I was just testing my new camera, but I'm sure his hostile manner was because I was wearing a skirt. Like so many uninlightened people a man in a skirt just spells "pervert". I'm just so sick of that:sad:

I've been wearing skirts since I came home from the hospital thursday and even though I'm used to it, I'm pretty surprised about the attention I'm getting. I've been to the hospital 4 times now and basically my skirt was commented plenty by the doctors and nurses. One nurse said that it was it was a much better choice than pants, because the wound needed to breathe, yet she still wondered why I wore it. I guess the fact that few women wears skirts right now, makes me stand out more.

The most annoying incident was when I went outside a took some pictures of the neighbourhood to test my new camera and this guy kept staring at me and eventually asked me (in a hostile tone) what I was photographing. I told him that I was just testing my new camera, but I'm sure his hostile manner was because I was wearing a skirt. Like so many uninlightened people a man in a skirt just spells "pervert". I'm just so sick of that:sad:

Sometimes you've just got to let it go, Pumps. Some people in this world are so narrow-minded that they can see through a keyhole with both eyes! ;) Maybe next time you get him to take a picture or something.:o

BTW, I hope your wounds are healing well. Any word on how extensive they are or how long you need to recover?:smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Sometimes you've just got to let it go, Pumps. Some people in this world are so narrow-minded that they can see through a keyhole with both eyes! ;) Maybe next time you get him to take a picture or something.:o

BTW, I hope your wounds are healing well. Any word on how extensive they are or how long you need to recover?:smile:

I have 2nd degree burns covering about 7%. They say it will take about 2-3 weeks to heal. The antibiotics are really upsetting my stoemach:sad:

I have 2nd degree burns covering about 7%. They say it will take about 2-3 weeks to heal. The antibiotics are really upsetting my stoemach:sad:

Well, 7% 2nd degree burns isn't really bad. The average arm or leg is about 18%. Still, the antibiotics are a necessary part of your treatment.:o But perhaps you could get your doctor to change the prescription to something not quite so upsetting to you. Just hang in there, Pumps.;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Pumps, long time - no hear from. How about an update on those burns?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Hey Pumps, long time - no hear from. How about an update on those burns?

The legs are healing fine. The skin have come back. Just a bit red and sensitive, but getting there. The stoemach is still insane though, even though I quit the antibiotics over 2½ weeks ago.

thanks for asking.

pumps

Being a bodybuilder I have learned alot about natural supplements, vitamins, etc and the amino, L- glutamine is used for a more rapid recovery for burn patients. I use it for muscle recovery. It is stored in the muscle cells and when you get a burn, scratch, illness or what ever, it is robbed from the muscle and taken to the origin of illness, burn or whatever. I buy it in powder form from a vitemin shop or what ever and use 5 to 10 grams a day. When I had a bone spur shaved off my ac joint (shoulder) my doctor was amaized on how fast I was heeling. Just a bit of natural info. They use it for burn patients introvieniesly. If thats a word. Not to good a spelling. Anyway, you know what I mean. One more thing. If you supplement it, it gets stored in the small intestins and thats where it will be transported from instead of the muscles.

real men wear heels

The legs are healing fine. The skin have come back. Just a bit red and sensitive, but getting there. The stoemach is still insane though, even though I quit the antibiotics over 2½ weeks ago.

thanks for asking. - pumps

Okay, if you've quit the antibiotics and the stomach is still upset, try mint tea. Personally, I prefer peppermint, but spearmint will also work. Also, start taking brewer's yeast in fairly large quantities, as that will help to settle the nerves. Brewer's yeast is water soluble and so it's almost impossible to take too much. Try to avoid coffee, caffine, and alcohol.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Thanks Chris.

Don't forget that its you that made the first steps through the fron door.

You don't have to thank me for your courage!!

Don't underestimate the value of support. I have no one and face the prospect of going out entirely on my own. Bottom line-- there is some safety in numbers, less chance I'll get the stuffing knocked out of me.

Don't underestimate the value of support. I have no one and face the prospect of going out entirely on my own. Bottom line-- there is some safety in numbers, less chance I'll get the stuffing knocked out of me.

Metalspikes, we all encourage and support you in your choice of individual fashion expression! :smile: However, there comes a time when no amount of external support can make-up for individual initiative. Those first few steps outside on your own require considerable courage. You are to be congratulated on that alone. ;):wavey:

But much like riding a bicycle, your initial success should also help bolster your courage and initiative. Unless you live in a neighborhood where the folks flat-out will not tolerate freestyling, you should be able to see for yourself that most of our worst fears never come about.:sad:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Metalspikes, we all encourage and support you in your choice of individual fashion expression! :smile: However, there comes a time when no amount of external support can make-up for individual initiative. Those first few steps outside on your own require considerable courage. You are to be congratulated on that alone. ;):wavey:

Thank you, I really appreciate the encouragement. I'm not quite sure, though, that I'm being quite clear. I'm talking about having at least one other person physically present with me during my first few ventures out in public, in heels. Reading between the lines, I suspect that Chris had that sort of support when he was first starting out, that he had Jon with him, that they went places together. In that way, I can see how people respond, with just a bit of added safety that having someone else along might provide. Just based on his photographs, If I had someone like Jon along, I think I might feel safe to go out exactly as you see me in my avatar!

But much like riding a bicycle, your initial success should also help bolster your courage and initiative.

That's the idea of having someone along the first few times. As long as I don't see people who look at me as if to say "Wouldn't I love to get you alone in a dark alley!"...

Unless you live in a neighborhood where the folks flat-out will not tolerate freestyling, you should be able to see for yourself that most of our worst fears never come about.:sad:

Let me put it this way: I am 51 years of age, and have lived here in the Los Angeles area my entire life. I've been wearing heels since early childhood, and certainly notice when other people wear them. In my entire time, I have never even once seen a guy wearing heels out in public as a man (I've seen a few people crossdressed and attempting to pass as women), not even in the 1970's when designers were attempting to popularize block heels and platforms for men. I do not know what the level of tolerance is here, because I've never seen anyone test it. (I did see one obvious crossdresser crossing the street, being followed closely by two "home boys" who were practically falling over each other cutting up and making 'her' life miserable.) In a sense, it does not even matter, because it takes only one person to take it in his mind that he is so disgusted by what he is seeing that he must take action:

The Right to Be All That You Are: An Interview with Larry “Sissy” Goodwin

-- "Fight for the right to be all that you are. " --

Residents of Douglas, WY, are used to seeing Larry "Sissy" Goodwin, 55, one-time rodeo rider, married father of two, and Vietnam veteran, wearing feminine clothes around this quiet, rugged town at the foot of the Rockies that bills itself as one of Wyoming’s "best kept secrets."

But when Goodwin went shopping for a gift for his wife in nearby Salt Lake City on a business trip while wearing a tennis skirt, security guards at the Little America Hotel reportedly ordered him to leave and then tackled him when he refused.

Goodwin threatened to sue, and to stave off a discrimination lawsuit, the hotel has settled out-of-court and provided a financial settlement, a full apology, an agreement to initiate diversity training, and termination of the manager who had been on-duty.

GenderPAC National News interviewed Mr. Goodwin at his home.

--

National News: First, why in the world did you wear a tennis dress to shop for a gift for your wife in Salt Lake City? [general laughter]

Larry “Sissy” Goodwin: Please call me “Sissy.” The answer is, I don't dress any differently in Salt Lake City or in Latin America than I do at home. Just because I go somewhere doesn’t change who I am.

NN: Aren’t you afraid of physical danger?

SG: I’ve never thought of simply being myself as being dangerous. Although I’ve had my share of difficulties.

NN: For example?

SG: I’ve been arrested in Casper and Laramie for wearing a dress. I’ve been physically assaulted twice. Once in my own front yard I was kicked in the head. Several of my teeth were kicked in and bones were broken in my mouth.

The other time was at the Kansas City Airport. This man just walked up and blind-sided me, just sucker-punched me. He split my ear wide open, and I was bleeding down the side of my head. Airport Security was right on top of it, they arrested him immediately.

My plane was held until I could change clothes and wash the blood off, because I couldn't board all bloody.

I suppose those experiences can be classed as "difficulties" when one has survived armed combat and rodeo riding, but they seem fairly extreme to me. Note that his combat training did not seem to aid him when he was being assaulted.

Gender-Based Violence Claims Life of Another Young Person of Color

...and then a radio talk show host put the blame on the victim.

Finally, there is this memorial site. I hope that you will spend some time with the people here, and note that many were in large metropolitan urban areas that have reputations for being somewhat liberal.

Perhaps all of this will give you some idea of why I do not feel safe to express myself.

I'd put those morons in THEIR place like REAL quick if THEY tried ANY of that stuff with ME!! boy, talk about being BOLD! (in ones own front yard @ that!!) well, to put it more directly, I'd say (off-hand) that those kinds of people have more that a FEW "loose" screws lying about in their heads.

I'd put those morons in THEIR place like REAL quick if THEY tried ANY of that stuff with ME!! boy, talk about being BOLD! (in ones own front yard @ that!!) well, to put it more directly, I'd say (off-hand) that those kinds of people have more that a FEW "loose" screws lying about in their heads.

Maybe it would be a good idea to include a quote for a post like this. It took me a few trys before I found the entry I think you're are refering to, and yer right! That is bold as brass (which also rhymes with another part of the anatomy)!

For those kinds of remarks I've been known to say something like, "I've also got some blue-steel (whether it was true or not) in my pocket (handbag) that I can get to speak to you. Would you like to hear it?":nervous:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

This shows just how little we've progressed as a people. There are many who just can't get over the fact that people's self-expression is a right, and it's never ever going to go away - no matter how much you want to cork the bottle, stuff the djinn back in its lamp.....it's not going to change the fact that change is inevitable, and no amount of stifling it will ever succeed 100%. Businesses that support the narrow-minded view will eventually be shunned and/or go out of business, lose support from many groups, and face many lawsuits. Those individuals who refuse to grow up will eventually find fewer and fewer places to go to where people have not progressed...........why not just go with it and have fun? Are people really that shallow to where the only means of them making themselves better is to harrass, beat up, or make fun of those who choose to add some spice to their lives? Is it REALLY SO WRONG???? ahem.....I'm going off on a tangent again....... *shoves myself back on topic* I did go on a trip to Denver some months ago, and found a couple of really nice below-the-knee skirts, and the denim one I think would go awesomely with the new brown platform boots I picked up online. Perhaps next time I go to Denver, I'll have to pack those along for sure!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I think some places show a great level of tolerance for freestylers. I flew BA from Sydney to London in a denim skirt with black pantyhose. No comment. I flew in heels + feminine jeans / clothes lots of times. I have travelled several time by train in UK and Europe in skirt and heels. I have shopped in lotsa cities in skirt and heels or in (ladies) jeans and heels (London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Montreal, Toronto, Koln, New York, Sydney to name a few). I dress feminine but I don't try to "pass" anymore (although I was pleased to be called "Madame" recently in a shop ... even if it was quite obvious that the salesgirl knew). I wore heels in a lot of international hotels and resorts ... Dress properly and decently (no mini, no fantasy-slut-like clothes), behave gently and politely and everything will be alright. i acknowledge that there are places I would dare to do this, especially muslims countries and propably countryside / conservative areas. Vanessa

From all I've read, there seems to be generally more tolerance in Europe than in the United States, and more tolerance in New York than in other parts of the country. The attitude of many New Yorkers seems to be "Yeah yeah, so what else is new? We've seen it all, already." :smile:

You can get kilts for $125.00 U.S.at http://www.stillwaterkilts.com/ I just orders my 2nd kilt and I own two skirts and I plan on going kilts/skirts all the time.

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

• 6 months later...

Now try and work this out.. when i was really young viz under 10 i fancied wearing a kilt although ive as much scotch blood as a jellied eel. Nowadays i dont fancy it at all; maybe its da lunchbox bit, but i do love wearing micro shorts.... denim, not lycra ones please !!!

• 2 years later...

Wow this thread has been around awhile? I'm purely male mode and if fashion puts skirts/kilts into "normal" male use then I'm open and probably will. Having done an eve in a skirt for rocky and have come to the conclusion that there is very little difference from shorts (apart from a seam) I feel there is more chance it would be a definite. Some guys should never even be in shorts let alone thoughts about a skirt! There again there have been some girls that have made me shudder at the sight. Al

A guy that I had been working with (he and I were short term contract employees) wore a kilt everyday. I told him that if we got hired for an extended time, I'd join him with a kilt(s)!

Still waiting to see what develops.

It's all about the heel!

I voted male and wear both! Even though I don't have any kilt's at the moment! I will though have quite a few skirt's though of verious style's and length's! I have been told by a few women that I have better leg's than them! If they think my legs look good now wait until Im in shape again and drop about 20 lbs! :smile: