dr1819

Have/Do you wear skirts?  

338 members have voted

1. 1. Have/Do you wear skirts?

• Male and Nope! Never!
    • Male and wear skirts
    • Male and wear kilts
    • Male and wear both/either
    • Female and wear skirts/kilts/sarongs/etc.
    • Female and Nope! Never!
    • I'm thinking it about it, but no decisions yet...

Ok, all, summer's back (well, almost), and with it the skirts for men movement has exploded. So far I've seen three men in the last week wearing skirts downtown, and one was an American, so I know it's becoming more than just a novelty! Two were hanging out at the local pub, different nights - they didn't know each other.

Has anyone checked out the Skirts for Men website lately?

Most importantly, what are your thoughts/plans on this for your own future wear?

http://www.zyra.org.uk/sk4men.htm

It's mainly a bunch of links to stores that sell skirts for men or websites supporting skirts and kilts for men.

Two years ago I think there were precisely two stores listed on the website that sold skirts/kilts. Then Macabi came along, and now half a dozen others can be linked to from the site. Most are American stores, but MeninTime still exists (horrendously expensive, though!)

If anyone wants to go the cheap route and can sew, some Rit dye, a white muslin/cotton bedsheet and a very simple 60-minute pattern will put a nice draw-string skirt on you for less than $15. The simplest method (which I did during the summer of 2004) is to cut a semi-circle lengthwise, through the long side of the sheet, leaving enough material to loop for ties, and hemmed the loose ends. I had a nice, closed-waist but open-bottom full-length skirt that was perfect for meandering around the house during the summer.

Back to the websites...

Here's my current favorite: http://www.jdez.com/men/

Followed closely by Macabi: http://www.macabiskirt.com/mens_home.php

Both have reasonably priced skirts, although you can get a chep denim skirt from Roamans (http://www.roamans.com) for about half the price.

Kilts tend to be more expensive - I think it's the wool, and little wonder - it's itchy as hell. One would have to be a masochist to pay for the luxury of sitting in an old-world-fiber garment that itches like kingdom come. At least the womenfolk had the decency to ask their men to invent slips!

Seriously, no slips required for the modern garments.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This year I discovered the Kikoy. The following is from their website

http://www.kikoy.com

and details the history of the male garment.

--------

Kikoys are a garment which was traditionally for men, as in many hot countries (and Scotland!) men wear a wraparound of some sort. These tropical garments are obviously worn due to the heat (except in Scotland!) and are particularly comfortable.

Few require anything more than a little confidence to hold them up and some are tied with amazing skill and complexity but the Kikoy itself is simply wrapped around the middle, or hips, or anywhere and rolled over outwards a couple of times.

The Kikoy does need to be fairly tight, with a certain amount of tension, but not too tight, the mistake is to try and wrap it really tightly as this could result in an embarrassing and unscheduled show of leg!

Inspired by the abundance of exuberant colours found on the East African coastline, Kikoys are woven of the brightest hue colour combinations that would alarm most people!

Possibly originating from something that the Arab traders wore as they plied the coastline, the Kikoy has developed its very own character of Kenya and Tanzania and is a symbol of safaris in both beautiful countries.

There is a band of devoted Kikoy wearers which is steadily increasing in size as more and more people discover the delights of a Kikoy, see our 50 ways to use a Kikoy!

------------

I've just come back from the Maldives and took two Kikoy's with me. I wore nothing else during the day. So blooming comfortable. Can' wait fort he summer to come here in the UK.

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

yep, skirts worn by men for tens of thousands of years - imagine that, and we're just re-discovering it? Kikoys, kilts, sarongs, pareos, and all the other names that you've heard or seen mentioned on women's clothing websites have long, long, long been a part of man's cultural dress. In fact, if you go to your library and look up some of these alternative names in an older (about 50 years old) encyclopedia or dictionary you'll find plenty of references to men wearing these garments around the world, and not just in "backward countries which have since learned to dress in proper style. Alexander Hamilton wore, as did many of the U.S. founding fathers, waistcoats, pants (to the knees, aka "capri," and you can hardly even FIND the word "capri" on Nordstrom's website anymore. It's now "gauchos," "crop," "clamdigger," and "Bermuda shorts." At least the last is still there, but in the 50s, the only "Bermuda shorts" were worn by the men - the women wore long skirts!). I think I finally figured out what's happened: When it comes to fashion, the women actually follow the men, but embellish the style, making it more colorful, while the men avoid styles that have been effiminated (efficated? Made effiminate?) for the most part, preferring styles which, at the time, seem more masculine. Case in point, while women were wearing dresses to their knees, men were raising theirs, presumably to hunt! They gave little consideration to pantlength except as suited them, daring to display hosiery, to the knees, and it wasn't until the late 1800s that skirt-lengths began to rise, and only in the 1900s, two hundred years after pants appeared on men, that women began wearing pants! Ok - enough of this horse.

Women's clothes... Finally figured out why women's clothes do one of three things: 1. Make the buttons right over left 2. Put frills, scrunches, or other feminine characteristics on it 3. Keep it's size less than 12 Simple - they're afraid of a male clothing revolution! By the way - did it ever occur to folks that it's the same people who make womens' clothes as men's?

Women's clothes...

Finally figured out why women's clothes do one of three things:

1. Make the buttons right over left

2. Put frills, scrunches, or other feminine characteristics on it

3. It's only available in light blue, coral, or lime green

4. Keep it's size less than 12

Simple - they're afraid of a male clothing revolution!

By the way - did it ever occur to folks that it's the same people who make womens' clothes as men's?

Case in point: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=13658&pid=357100

Thanks for the poll dr1819. I voted that I never wear skirts...but I support those men who do! :D and wigs, and dresses, and bras, and whatever else the mind can imagine.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I voted for male and never. It's a best fit option really, I've tried skirts on a few times but am not sufficiently interested in wearing them to make the effort and buy any. That said I fully support the rights of men to wear skirts if they want to. Women have been wearing stuff that's traditionally regarded as masculine for long enough. Chris

I think I was the first person in the poll to vote never. Even if it became popular for men (as jeans are for women) there is no way I would ever wear a skirt OR a kilt.

I'm curious - any particular reason? (not directed at you specifically but others as well).

I will wear a skirt or kilt as they are very comfortable - lets the boys breathe better :-) I just don't wear them around anyone but the wife, who likes them on me BTW.

My wife loves me in a black leather kilt. Being of Scottish origin this is a perfectly natural raiment to wear. Being a cross-dresser, it is a naturally perfect item to wear also. I vote for skirts and kilts all the time. Skirts because it makes me look feminine, a must for most cross-dressers and with my bum pads in it also looks convincing. Kilts because with my rugby thick thighs, heavy walking boots and socks rolled down it looks very masculine with the added benefit of my missus not being able to keep her hands off me :D It also aids quick entry when feeling Ooh La La!! Maitron......!!!!

i own WAY more skirted clothing than pants, and wear them to work almost every day. dr1819: i love the skirt/boot combo in your photo. where are those boots from?

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

Wish I knew! I own a pair very much like them, and a skirt almost matches the one in the avator. Check Zappos for boots - dozens are now online (finally!). As for skirts, try LL Bean, Roaman's, Chadwicks, Lane Bryant - all are good suppliers, and to a lesser extent The Gap (smaller sizes). Thanks for your interests!

Never have I worn a skirt in any form. But I have nothing against those that do. I just don't think I would be mentally comfortable with the idea.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi all,

i got a confession to make........

i dont know how but i tried a below the knee denim skirt on, trouble is it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, another thing is i wouldnt mind trying one again.

That's how most guys wind up realizing kilts/skirts are comfy.

Our ancestors had an advantage - they grew up wearing them.

I voted for the female wearing skirts/sarongs/kilts thing.

I like skirts and such that hit knee-length or lower, even to the floor. I have a kilt I made and I have a few peasant skirts, even a few gothic-looking long black denim skirts. Some days, I don't feel like putting my legs through two separate holes to get dressed.

I personally think guys in skirts/kilts look good as long as they have the body to do it [a lot of girls wear skirts and don't have a sutable shape]

Skirts can be quite manly.

Posted Image

I've finally worked up the interest to get a below-the-knee length skirt. I'd want it to stop just there, though. Just to give it a whirl, if nothing else. I don't know for sure if I'd stick with it or not. My goal is to find a CD-friendly shop that would measure me and provide me with a simple enough, basic black something for test purposes.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I've finally worked up the interest to get a below-the-knee length skirt. I'd want it to stop just there, though. Just to give it a whirl, if nothing else. I don't know for sure if I'd stick with it or not. My goal is to find a CD-friendly shop that would measure me and provide me with a simple enough, basic black something for test purposes.

Go to goodwill!

I know it dosen't have a savory reputation as a place to get good clothes, but 2nd hand stores are good for buying experimental clothes in. You can try on different skirts to find your size and if you end up not liking the skirt you bought, it's not like you lost more than $5 on it.

Skirts can be quite manly.

Posted Image

I found out that it's made of PU, but it has quite a leathery look to it (now imagine how it would look if it were made of jan-u-wine leather :roll:)- that outfit looks great!

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I found out that it's made of PU, but it has quite a leathery look to it (now imagine how it would look if it were made of jan-u-wine leather :wink:)- that outfit looks great!
I prefer things made from real leather too :roll:

I have a pair of PU pants and unless it's freezing cold and there's no chance of me sweating, they're unbearable. I don't know how people can claim to wear them to clubs where they're dancing and sweating.

However, when I was little, I had another pair of PU pants and they were quite bearable, but they were fragile and I had to fix them a lot.

I have to warn you Danielle that you might get to like it!

When I was at school all the women were wearing long straight skirts like the one that my avatar lady is wearing. These skirts were very controversial at the time because they were so restricting. I began to wonder what they must be like to wear, so at the first opportunity I tried one on (just to see what it was like) and was immediately hooked!

I bought my first straight black skirt when I was 17, I then bought some stiletto heeled sandals and a pair of women's panties to wear with it. Since then I have always owned more straight black skirts then trousers!

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

I don't have any clothing made of PVC, latex etc. because the way it feels and smells doesn't appeal to me- so I prefer smooth, well-tanned leather. Since I've discovered the beauty of second-hand shops two days after Christmas 2005, I bought five pairs of pants, two vests and a blazer. Heck, if you visit Lodz and see a 20 year old man in a leather business suit, or at least leather pants (in a hot weather like now), that'll probably be me.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!