Any reliable advice? please :)

Mikey63

Hi im new here, im looking for a bit of friendly advice :D As a very fashion conscious 25 year old man from the UK im always trying to be different... Daring to try new things... Im getting very sick of plain old flat footed and wide mens shoes and ive recently taken a "shine" to the stylish 3.5inch high heeled boots that many women wear these days, i think they would look fantastic with a pair of good quality designer boot-cut jeans. Even a pair of fairly plain black/brown leather stilleto style shoes would look good, to be honest. As long as my feet/ankles aren't visible, im not sure i want shoes quite that feminine, atleast not yet. Unlike most men im very fortunate that i could buy and wear womens size shoes, having quite small and narrow feet. Should i take advantage of this? How should I bring my girlfriend around to my way of thinking? How do other people react to seeing men in this type of footwear? (i don't want to get into any fights over my fashion sense) I seriously think that women will fully respect my choice of footwear, but i suspect other men will find cause to give me grief. Correct? Can such narrow heals hold my weight without snapping off and taking someones eye out? Thanks all :cry:

First, WELCOME to the site.

I would suggest reading around the site a bit as most of the questions you have posed have threads that discuss the topic.

I wear thigh boots over my jeans/slacks/shorts but that is more exposure than most of the contributors go in for. But I can offer this, I wear 4” and 5” stiletto heels and I weigh 200 pounds. Other than having to replace the heel tips more often than a lighter person would, I have had no problems with how sturdy the heels are.

Walking in heels takes practice, and practice, and more practice. You should have absolute confidence when you take a step. Speaking of confidence, you should also have absolute confidence in the way you look. If you can’t look in a mirror and like the guy in heels that’s looking back at you, don’t go out.

Heels are a great look. Read around the forum and enjoy. There are lots of good folks here.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks, since registering ive taken a look around at other threads to get more answers, i guess you must all know just how hard it is to find this information when you first start to wonder about wearing heels... Ive also had a look around on ebay and a few online shops. Although the biggest help has to have been some of the images ive found on this forum, no more guessing about how to put together a good "look", some of the images look just as id imagined!! fantastic! My choices range from the almost masculine to the very feminine, and to be honest from what ive seen, the later is definately the most striking and appeals to me more now than it did at the time of my original post.

Hi Mikey, I wore a pair of black stiletto ankle boots around Ikea last year, I coupled these with a pair of bootleg jeans that covered the heel mostly, I know a couple of people noticed that I am aware of, I'm sure many more people noticed that I was unaware of due to the hard floor (hence noisy), my point is that no-one commented or seemed to care, I would suggest an outing way away from home initailly to save bumping into anyone you know, also be really confident about how you can walk in them before going out in public, If you are visibly nervous you will draw attention to yourself. Heelium

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.

Welcome Mikey. First off I have to agree. Confidence is by far the most important thing... well next to balance. Once you have down walking, just go. Trust me, My city, and entire province for that matter is one of the least fashionably diverse areas I've seen. Basicly all the guys look pretty much the same in their age brackets. But I've had no problem walking about in my heels. I've had a few good friends ask me the age old question... "Why?" And I just say "Well why do you wear the shoes you wear?" and 9/10 times they answer with something that applies to me as well. If not I just say "Cause I like them" and that pretty much shuts them up, it's not like they can tell me I don't! LOL As for worrying about getting beat up for it. I very well doubt ppl are just gonna come out of nowhere and pound you for wearing heels, if people are prone to doing that in your area, I suggest you move! When it comes to your Girlfriend... Well everyone is gonna have a different opinion. She may surprise you, but it's important that you get it out. Hidding things from ppl you care about sux. I wouldn't say spring it on her, just kinda ease her into it. Just say you found on the net that men wearing heels is getting more popular and you don't think the look is that bad. Whether she loves it, hates it, or is somewhere in between, find a common ground. After all, relationships are full of compromises. Lastly, I too have small slim feet, and I have to tell you you should DEFFINATELY take advantage of it. Ppl always say "variety is the spice of life" So mix it up and have fun. I've found great comfort reading posts on this site. For the longest time I felt I was the only one. I never dreamt that men in heels had such population. I hope you find all the answers your looking for on this site.

Hi Mickey63, and welcome to the world of high heels. If you're in your early to middle 20's and have never worn heels out in public before - don't. You'll wobble around like a pencil on end and even a blind person will know you're wearing heels. The trick to wearing heels is to find a pair that fit comfortably and then walk, and walk, and walk some more. Don't even think about wearing heels in public until you can put on a pair of heels and walk without even thinking about what you've got on your feet. Only after you have that level of confidence should you consider going out. Stillettos require a special skill that's hard to describe and should not be attempted until you can balance and walk well on thicker heels or wedgies (my preference). Take it from me, a rush to the spikes can also be a real rush to the hospital. Besides needing to always be consciously aware of where you're putting your feet, stillettos have a tendency to hang in carpets and on certain other surfaces. Worse yet, if the heels start to slip (due to grease or some other thing) you'll need to know how to recover gracefully. Since there is no gracious way to fall, I won't even go there. My advice to you would be to start out with a moderately high wedgie of say 3 to 3.5 inches. After you've mastered that then you can work your way up to higher and narrower heels. As for the girlfriend, why not just ask her if she's ever seen a man in heels and what she thinks? If you find she's Mt. Vesuveus change the topic and the girl. Let us know how yer doing.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Well im going into this with an open mind, ive made a purchase on ebay... very similar to this but with a smooth finish:

Posted Image

They're not really what i want but if i can get a feel for them i'll splash out on those lovely (but expensive at £120) boots ive been drooling over at "Schuh".

AND these won't be too visible under one particular pair of jeans i have, the toes look similar to my normal shoes, so it will give me the ideal opportunity to just try things out for a week or two.

I'll give my gf a talk about changes in mens fashion and explain what freestyling is :D

Thankyou all for your possitive support!

Sounds like you're going for it already, Mikey so keep us informed how you get on with it, and pics if you feel ok about it. I would like to do the same, but I have agreements with my wife on a compromise which I respect.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Mikey63:-) Welcome to the Board. You have received a great amount of good advice already, so there isn't much that I can add at this time. Something for you to think about and try if you choose to. Wearing a pair of pantyhose while wearing your new shoes or boots will give you a much more good fit and comfort and make your legs and feet much more happy when you are out in public heeling. It will also protect your skin from abrations and blisters, especially from sweat and heat and your feet sticking to your insoles. Keep us all posted on your progress and of course, some pics would be good also. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Finally they've arrived!

Unwrapped them seconds after they came to my door. Having seen them and tried them on i've decided i actually really do like them, so tonight im taking them for a "test run" under some bootcut jeans, just around some of the quieter area's and see how they feel.

Posted Image

I'll post some pictures in the freestyle fashion thread once ive worked out something that looks good :D

Here's a couple of quick pics, id have done them earlier but needed to charge my digicam batteries.

Posted Image

Just a small amount of my foot is visible with these "Diesel" jeans, which i actually like the look of, its got a stylish/fitted look. But for a little while i'll wear some that have more cover.

Posted Image

Underneath the jeans.

What really suprises me is just how much smaller they look than my regular old UK 8 mens shoes, bare in mind that womens UK 8 is equal to mens UK 8.5 and ironically they're a lot more comfortable too.

Mikey: Nice pictures, you should be fine with those anywhere. You'll soon get your confidence up. My first steps outside the house were the five minute walk to a local restaurant. To my horror on the return trip of one of those early adventures I met someone I know walking his dog - and to make matters worse Mrs F insisted on patting the beast! Good luck!!!

Mikey:

Nice pictures, you should be fine with those anywhere. You'll soon get your confidence up. My first steps outside the house were the five minute walk to a local restaurant. To my horror on the return trip of one of those early adventures I met someone I know walking his dog - and to make matters worse Mrs F insisted on patting the beast!

Good luck!!!

mickey63 I think you could pull the round/oblique toes on those off with no problem at all. The toe box is unisex and if you cover the heels with your jeans, you'll have no problem!

my friend fogborkenvv

:D that is too funny! I've been spotted by people I work with. We stood in Penn Station and talked for about half an hour, then he went his way and I went my way. I was wearing black stiletto boots, distressed jeans, and a black form fitting shirt. Still business as usual with him too.

I think the F.E.A.R. of being caught is just that:

F=Fantasy

E=Experienced

A=As

R=Reality

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Mikey, you should have NOTHING to worry about. I had a similar style of shoe, in brown - the front wasn't as plain, but I still wore them with no problems whatsoever. I got nice compliments from the sales lady who sold them to me, as well as the sales ladies at another store that I'd returned to. You're well on your way! :D

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

• 2 months later...

Well its been nearly 3 whole months since I started my little journey into wearing heels and Its been fantastic, I have shoes for most occasions and ive leant how to incorporate heels into my everyday dress... for example a pair of cute wedge Sandals to go with my linen trousers during all this hot weather here in the UK.

I've worn my 4" high boots with nice jeans on several occasions, even out to some of Birminghams biggest nightclubs.

I even found cause to wear my strappy 4" heel sandals!

Well its been nearly 3 whole months since I started my little journey into wearing heels and Its been fantastic, I have shoes for most occasions and ive leant how to incorporate heels into my everyday dress... for example a pair of cute wedge Sandals to go with my linen trousers during all this hot weather here in the UK.

I've worn my 4" high boots with nice jeans on several occasions, even out to some of Birminghams biggest nightclubs.

I even found cause to wear my strappy 4" heel sandals!

Hey,

good to see you have started wearing heels as a normal thing. Just out of interest how did your girlfriend react etc... I am 22 myself and still a student at uni in the UK, my folks (still live @ home) know about my heels but I still cant let them know that I wear them all the time. Even though my mum has suggested to me about wearing my heels during a formal night out. So I was just wondering what your girlfriend etc thought.

The definition of Freestyle Fashion can even be found in various languages throughout the world on Wikipedia. You might gain some credibility using that point. Here is a link to the definition in english:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_fashion

Hey kneehighs - it appears Wiki's fashion police deleted this entry, too.

About the only way to win with Wiki would be via a concerted effort, say 25 people, all supporting the entry.

Hey,

good to see you have started wearing heels as a normal thing. Just out of interest how did your girlfriend react etc... I am 22 myself and still a student at uni in the UK, my folks (still live @ home) know about my heels but I still cant let them know that I wear them all the time. Even though my mum has suggested to me about wearing my heels during a formal night out. So I was just wondering what your girlfriend etc thought.

Its all a bit like skating on thin ice, sometimes my gf is fairly open minded, sometimes she goes into "i want my man to be a man" mode. The irony of it is, she doesnt mind us going out in public together when im in heels, infact its not really the shoes that are the problem, she just gets it into her head sometimes that im not being the man in the relationship. Im very thoughtful, caring and dont mind showing my emotions.... she seems to want me to be a brain dead, heartless, badboy, loser. So my shoes have to suffer for that.

...Its all a bit like skating on thin ice, sometimes my gf is fairly open minded, sometimes she goes into "i want my man to be a man" mode. The irony of it is, she doesnt mind us going out in public together when im in heels, infact its not really the shoes that are the problem, she just gets it into her head sometimes that im not being the man in the relationship. Im very thoughtful, caring and dont mind showing my emotions.... she seems to want me to be a brain dead, heartless, badboy, loser. So my shoes have to suffer for that.

Hey man, I got that jive once from my old girlfriend (for a totally different reason than heels) so I decided to give her the "rough and tumble" bit. Before the evening was out she had totally changed her tune. If your woman is giving you the "be a man" jive, just give her the Bluebeard or Henry the 8th treatment. I'll bet money she changes her tune.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Glad see you've really come along with your heel wearing Mikey. I've been doing this for a year now and I really enjoy it. With each step you make you learn to love your looks and really start to become creative. I'm branching off into women's jeans now and other items, and looking to create an over all look. So far I think I'm doing well. Wish I had more chances to go into London as I can freestyle easier there, although I have freestyled in my home town a few times now.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005