Walking in ballet boots... help

rubberroo

Hi All, I have owned a pair of devious ballet boots now for about 3 months. Apart from the occasional few steps, I cannot seem to walk without a huge amount of effort. Anyone give me some tips on how to walk in ballet boots. I would really like to walk around the house, but keep falling over :D:cry: There must be some secret to it as I have seen many clips where people walk perfectly in them.

Well, they do take quite a bit of effort to stay on your toes in ballet heels. A few of the more proficient walkers have also taken Ballet for quite a while, so their ankles/feet are more then strong enough for the job. A few are also quite small in stature. Other then carefully stretching your ankles to aclimate yourself to wearing them I'm afraid there isnt alot you can do. When I can I'll wear my boots for a few hours, such as watching tv, playing vid games, etc. If you are haveing specific problems let us know, we will definatly try to help. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Rubberroo Quite simply; practice, practice , practice. However this eems also a good thread to mention these; I was browsing through Spooks Yahoogroup, where someone has suggested "Ouch Pouches" to reduce the amount of weight put through ones big toe in Ballet Heels. They are Gel filled foam liners that slip over the toeas and cover the ball of the foot and the toe knuckles. They are somewhat longer than the toe cushions I've had from Bliker Schuhe and look like they will be far more comfortable I won't bother putting a web address, these can be found at any online ballet / dance wear store. Trust this is of help Big D

@ rubberoo: where have you seen those many clips? I guess that are mostly always the same people there. I might be wrong, but I believe thats not only a question of practice. anyway the most important thing is that the ballets should fit or even be a little bit smaller than your regular size. what Big D wrote about toe protection is a good advice too!

First of all, the bad news. There are some people who just can't do it. But before you give up, here's a short checklist: - as said before a good, snug, fit is essential. wear thick socks if necessary - toe padding helps - practice with a pair of crutches or canes, it really makes a difference to have something to lean on and take a bit of weight off. At least you can learn how to walk on them for when you try it unsupported. - it helps to not be overweight

Strangely, I found that putting my hands on the ceiling (which is much easier when you're in ballets!) helps stabilize me and make it easier to walk. One thing you certainly need is a good stretch in your ankle. For instance, with my legs flat on the floor, I can almost touch my toes to the floor. And I have to agree with the above... practice practice practice!

Thanks for all your advise, will definately try thick socks. It is not actually the pain in the toes that the problem, it is the balance. I guess practise practise practise as someone mentioned is the key. Thanks heaps all Once I get it sorted maybe i video my efforts :D:cry::o

How did you stretch your foot to accomodate? I have more or less flat feet but the arch has increased quite a lot over the last little bit since I've tried more and more to go en pointe. I just point my feet as hard as I can for as long as I can. Any better way, that is still healthy, of course?

Hallo,

a good filling helps to spread the weight over all the front of the feed. But also the balance of the boots. I found and e few others that sometimes the heel is a little to long in compair with the feed part. Deathwhy you can lose your balance and keeps falling over.

In het past I shorten the heels with 1 cm and the boots can stand by its self, the heel is straight up. And walking in them you can put a lot of weight on the heel. It saves pressor on the toos.

And flexibilety of the ankle helps to. With practice and more practice you can go the get to your coal on walking in thies boots.

Perhaps some insperation of thies pics

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

good luck on walking ballet heels

A3