Walking down stairs gracefully in high heels

CeliaC

Walking down the stairs gracefully in HH?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Walking down the stairs gracefully in HH?

• I can do it blindfold with a tray of champagne glasses in each hand!
    • I can just about do it
    • I can, but for practical purposes I hold on to the banisters
    • I can't, I have tried and it's too wobbly for me
    • I haven't tried and/or didn't have the opportunity

When you are going down a ramp you are effectively wearing a higher heel. If you are already wearing your highest heel, the ramp will put you over that height.

Have a happy time!

with my DEMONIA platform BOOTS not a problem, but when I wear my DEMONIA platform SANDALS, I find (only wear these @ home that is) that its better to just take them down to the bottom of the stairs because its a whole lot easier to go UP in them, even FASTER then with "regular" footwear! it took me a long time to figure THAT one out too!

JMC commented:

When you are going down a ramp you are effectively wearing a higher heel. If you are already wearing your highest heel, the ramp will put you over that height.

Your comment is strue. However, how do you handle a situation like that?

I usually look for some other way down to the level that I am going to. However, that's not always possible.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Your comment is true. However, how do you handle a situation like that?

I usually look for some other way down to the level that I am going to. However, that's not always possible.

Well, admittedly, if I am wearing my highest heels I'm not going anywhere that I will have to negotiate ramps. If I am going someplace where a ramp lies in the way, I'm wearing a lower heel and it is not a problem.

Have a happy time!

• 2 weeks later...

I do walk my stairs on heels, for safety reasons I use the handrail. I can walk down without; stepping down puts a lot of strain on the thighs and makes the balancing a lot more interesting. High heels make the step effectively higher. Greetings Hans

all these guys replied.. what of the precious few other women on this site? I can't answer the poll... i don't wear heels myself.. but i've seen my wife do it plenty. she's ok up to 4 inch.. and doesn't have to hold anything. but 4.5 inch.. she begins to slow down and become more deliberate. when she first tried 5 inch down a flight.. she not only was diagonal.. but held the rail.. now.. she can do it slowly straight down.. and hold on to me or the rail.. but i've seen her do it once where there was no rail to hold and did fine.. just slow. she doesn't have any heels above 5 inch.. so can't comment on that... however.. she says she feels super uncomfy doing it and is afraid of looking foolish or worse.. falling. RPM

• 2 months later...

Hi All....

Have a look at this for walking down the stairs gracefully or NOT.......Let me know what you think.....

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4472254240780788651&q=bboots&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

if this doesn't work go onto googlevideo and search for "BBOOTS1", BBOOTS2" or "BBOOTS3"...

Thanks

Ruud

Is that you Ruud, walking down the stairs, in those balletboots.... Must say you've got some talent...

FL

FoxyLady

I have walked down stairs in 5 inch high heels and I do take the stairs more sideways than straight down. I try not to hold the hand rail but I end up doing it anyway. Going up stairs in high heels is definitely easier. Going down the stairs...not one of my more graceful moves.;)

i turn a bit sideways, not straight on, no probs...

try walking down cobbles when youre p***ed, now thats difficult !!!

I do what you do on steps, turn a bit sideways and take the steps, no problem up or down. Cobbles, man I might take my shoes or boots off and walk barefoot.

I have the most trouble in parking garages that have inclined ramps. Going up the ramp is OK because the incline offsets the high heel. But coming back down to the car is more of a challenge for me. The ramp angle adds to the angle of my ankle and I catch myself leaning back or bending my knees more. Either way I'm more self conscious of how I'm walking.

• 1 month later...

I'm that used to heels now that I find stairs pretty easy but with my attitude comes other risks. I don't need to use handrails etc.. and can sail down stair cases - and long runs of outside steps in 6 inch stiletto heels effortlessly. The problem I can get into is when cruising down stairs I have often caught a stiletto heel on the step above where I am going to next. Normally this is just a extra click-clunk sort of thing and doesn't even affect my stride but one day I might be over on my ass. It is exhilarating zooming down stair cases. Heel-Lover

I'm that used to heels now that I find stairs pretty easy but with my attitude comes other risks. I don't need to use handrails etc.. and can sail down stair cases - and long runs of outside steps in 6 inch stiletto heels effortlessly. The problem I can get into is when cruising down stairs I have often caught a stiletto heel on the step above where I am going to next. Normally this is just a extra click-clunk sort of thing and doesn't even affect my stride but one day I might be over on my ass.

It is exhilarating zooming down stair cases.

Heel-Lover

WOW!! I am impressed!!! I've never had problems walking in high heels, but stair and steps have always been a challenge.

• 1 month later...

Having posted that I have no problem, I managed to slip on the stairs at home about 5 weeks ago. In bare feet, coming down reasonably slowly to feed the cat at 5am, before you ask. Twisted sideways as I fell, measured my length along the stairs, and now apparently have a haematoma (large blood blister) on the bone. If I'm lucky, it'll go away; otherwise, it'll either calcify (extra lump on the bone) or need operating on. Ow, ow, ow. With a side order of ow. Since then, I've treated stairs with a lot more respect - whether in heels or not!

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

First, this is a great thread, so thanks! I've always had to take them really slowly, but over the past few years, I've gotten to where I can do it pretty well. I still slow it down though and angle my steps and use the hand rails. I did take a spill a few months back in a pair of 4" pumps and it twisted off my foot and even tore the side of the leather slightly. With most 4" heels, I have little to no problems, but with 5", I really slow down. One problem I have is that to do this "Gracefully" requires a degree of strength and dexterity in the knees that I just don't have anymore. If I rush, my knees usually take a good pounding as I step down. I also noticed several others mentioned that they have to slow down in heels. For me, that's part of what I like about wearing them. They force me to slow down, take my time and enjoy the feeling of just wearing them.:thumbsup:

I have a kitchen down stairs and one up stairs (sense I got married) so a lot of my groceries go down about 13 steps and I have had a lot of practice in 4 and 5" heels going down steps with my hands full. Pretty good at it now.

real men wear heels

Guest shortguy

Hey! Talking about walking down stairs in high hells, well hope I can do it gracefully. I can do it quit easie without holding on to the bannister in my 4 inch spike heels, even though I sometimes are using the bannister and wearing 5 inch heels, well wearing 5 inch heels then its best to hold on a bit to the barrister. It takes though a certain bit of technique to do this wearing a pencil thight skirt. I sort of turn my self slightly, place my foot diagonally. Living my life en famme as I do, I more and more is wearing a skirt. Working at an office at the reception desk, I want to look good. I need to look good. We have no dress code as such, as long as we are dressed appropriate. Living as I do en famme, mean I can both wear a skirt, a skirtsuit or dressy pants or a dressy pants suit. I must say I´m more and more wearing skirt and a top/blouse or a skirtsuit. I would say I wearing a skirt at least half of the week or ust whenever I feel for it or just as often as my female co-workers but even if I´m wearing pants or a pants suit, its high heels all the time. This have I must say learnt me how to walk in my high heels. Got to tell you all one thing though, about walking dawn a stair in high heels. A couple of weeks ago I had to go another floor in the office building picking up a box with leaflets. Was in a navy blue pencil tight skirt, ending an inch or two above my knees and a pair of navy blue 4 inch spike heel pumps. Up the stairs was ok. Went in to the office, found my box. Yes I know, I´m not that strong and ofcourse this box was a bit heavy. I try lifted the box, yes it was a bit heavy for me but I had to try carry it down with me. I was a bit worried, how and if I would manage this on my own in my tight skirt and my heels. I coulden´t hold on to the bannisteer as I had to carry the box with two hands, it was too heavy for me to carry with one hand. I had to try didn´t I. Taking the heavy box starting clicking my way out. Suddenly I heard someone calling me; "Hey let me help you!" It was the new guy working here as a trainee. Oh he´s a real sweetie, a real cute looking guy. I know, yes I know I shoulden´t feel this or say this but I can´t help feeling this way. Yes he´s real cute. I had only said a few words to him, well we both just had said a few words to each others. Guess I was a bit shy, guess we both was. But ofcourse, yes he could help me down the starirs with this box. In a fact I was rather glad he did. He not only helped me down the stair but also to my desk. It was very nice of him to do so and this also sort of breaking the ice. We began talking. Thats another way walking down the stairs, letting the guys doing the hard part of the work. Bye

Don't know if I've posted here already before, but I have a basement with no railing. I can go easily down them in 4"-4.5" heels, sometimes jog donw as if they were my gym shoes. But, since the stairs are kinda old and crooked, I have to hold on to the wall while going back up them.

Formally "HHDude"

• 1 year later...

I dare say I could manage two full trays of champagne. However it would depend on circumstances and the destiny of the champagne in those glasses. If it were a party, I wouldn't be seen dead carrying a tray of anything. If it were for a cozy night in with a friend then it would be no problem at all.

Walking up and down steps isn't a problem for me. I usually hold onto a railing for added confidence. Where I really have a problem is walking down steep ramps wearing heels. Especially when there isn't anything to hold on to.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

An old poll I see but fun none the less Amanda I like your standards- getting staff to carry the drinks is far better than running around yourself, seriously a party is for fun not to be a drudge! stairs @ 4" - easy but I'm not going blindfolded but I can do the tray thing, above 4" does get more difficult especially the higher the lift. Going down is the real test, as for graceful - Dunno? I think I've seen worse (non drunk) than me. Also I don't plan to play in pencil skirts. Al

You're doing very competently Johnie.

Gracefully.....lol, you need to work on that.

I always turn my feet more sideways on the stairs when descending.

But then you're all man and I'm sure have no need to exhibit grace.

However, maximum points for competency there without a doubt.