Walking down stairs gracefully in high heels

CeliaC

Walking down the stairs gracefully in HH?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Walking down the stairs gracefully in HH?

• I can do it blindfold with a tray of champagne glasses in each hand!
    • I can just about do it
    • I can, but for practical purposes I hold on to the banisters
    • I can't, I have tried and it's too wobbly for me
    • I haven't tried and/or didn't have the opportunity

You're doing very competently Johnie.

Gracefully.....lol, you need to work on that.

I always turn my feet more sideways on the stairs when descending.

But then you're all man and I'm sure have no need to exhibit grace.

However, maximum points for competency there without a doubt.

TU Amanda. Yes that was not very gracefull. I'll do another with a little more grace. A girl I work with told me the same thing, that she always turns her feet a little sideways. As you said, I am a man and thats just how i walk. LOL.

real men wear heels

I can do stairs in 4" heels, but I will at least keep my hand in contact with the railing. No need to take chances, as I likely could fall down stairs in my stocking feet! It is interesting that at first, I would catch the trailing foot heel on the edge of the stair. Now I guess I just make sure to pick that foot up a bit, and it doesn't happen.

I can do stairs in 4" heels, but I will at least keep my hand in contact with the railing. No need to take chances, as I likely could fall down stairs in my stocking feet! It is interesting that at first, I would catch the trailing foot heel on the edge of the stair. Now I guess I just make sure to pick that foot up a bit, and it doesn't happen.

I am the same. I have a hand close to the railing for safety. But once I cross that 4 inch height, I am feel my grip tightening. Just need more practice in the 4.5 and 5 inchers.

Proudly standing in my patent High Heels

Age brings caution and I hold the hand rail even in my carpet slippers which are not very graceful! Walking down ramps is a problem in heels but I find that digging in the heel helps, but that is not graceful either. Opera lovers will remember the last scene in Capriccio by Richard Strauss where the Countess walks down a long staircase in a crinoline, carrying a glass of Champagne, without touching the balustrade. That is really graceful !!

I agree Barbara anything that is loose or alive often have a mind of their own and not just on stairs. Breaking a foot from a wayward clog whilst crossing the road is no fun as the pain goes though the roof whilst passing out:mecry: Al

• 2 weeks later...

I can do it with a cautionary mind in most heels and or boots. Ballet boots could be another question since I have never tried them. However last fall while wearing a pair thigh boots with a 4" heel which were still stiff in the knee I descended the stairs at home and on the last step caught the heel on a stair tread and went down like a sack of hammers onto the floor. I did not injure myself nor the boots but scolded the dog for pushing me, since she was the only one who saw it. Kidding!! about the scolding but wow it was quite spectacular to see how fast I went down. But now I am back to easy up and downs. Mtnsofheels

• 10 months later...

I have no problems walking down stairs wearing 4 inch stiletto sandals without holding onto the bannister. I had to select the second choice instead of the first choice, since I don't think I can carry a tray of champagne glasses in each hand blindfolded down the stairs with any pair of shoes!

Going down stairs in heels, I forget about grace and anyone else, especially when carrying things. Being safe is more important. So far, I've been able to do all right. Negotiating ramps? It may not look right, but walking backwards down the incline is an option.

• 1 month later...

depends on the heelheight I think. Dazzlingextreme 6" heels or higher, or even higher than that with a platform is something to do carefully step by step and without holding onto something it is really challenging to most I think?

depends on the heelheight I think. Dazzlingextreme 6" heels or higher, or even higher than that with a platform is something to do carefully step by step and without holding onto something it is really challenging to most I think?

The main two things that I really don't look forward to doing when wearing shoes with heels of 4 inches or higher, is walking down stairs and walking down hill -- a ramp, or steep incline. They worry the heck out of me, especially outdoors when they might be wet.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 year later...

The few times i've had the opportunity to go up and down stairs with heels on, i did it a few times in a row to know what it felt like and to know how i needed to position my feet. Mostly for going down. But i still use the banister for safety sake.

A few weeks ago I had on 5.5 in heels and was walking downstairs to the garage of the building I live in when a neighbor's puppy started charging up the stairs. I didn't fall or step on it but it did require a bit more care when taking those few steps. I stopped to play with the puppy for a bit and have a quick conversation with my neighbor and that was that. I agree with the previous posts...walking up stairs in heels is A LOT easier.

I just had my most successful trip down a flight of stairs. Gee, that sounds weird. Well, having worn my boots most evenings recently, and the bathroom being upstairs, I've had to make a few trips, and today (as silly as it might sound), I felt stable enough to hold only one rail. Very soon, as a whole, I will walk better in heels than my Mrs!

When I rebuilt my staircase, I changed its pitch. Its a 14inch plank surface with a 6 inch rise. It lengthened the staircase, but its very easy to navigate now.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

This can be a risky business,'specially for part time wearers.Depends on the size of the step and its material.All my heels are 4.5 - 5" and the soles are smooth plastic,so slipping is a real possibility.I would use the handrails if they are available,just to be safe.Ramps can also be tricky if they are slippery and the angle is abit steep,going up or down can be "exciting".Lets be careful out there.:unsure:

I actually have to navagate a narrow and steep staircase to the projection room at the theatre, sometimes with a box of film weighting up to 100 pounds and I do it in heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I actually have to navagate a narrow and steep staircase to the projection room at the theatre, sometimes with a box of film weighting up to 100 pounds and I do it in heels.

It is all a matter of practice and having a good sense of equilibrium.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.