Walking down stairs gracefully in high heels

CeliaC

Walking down the stairs gracefully in HH?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Walking down the stairs gracefully in HH?

• I can do it blindfold with a tray of champagne glasses in each hand!
    • I can just about do it
    • I can, but for practical purposes I hold on to the banisters
    • I can't, I have tried and it's too wobbly for me
    • I haven't tried and/or didn't have the opportunity

Walking down stairs gracefully in high heels is perhaps the most difficult thing - not holding on to the banisters, the wall or your friend. How do you "perform"? WARNING: Kiddies, don't try this at home. Falling down the stairs isn't fun. I injured and hurt myself in the process (without HH on), so don't just try for the sake of a silly poll! And don't imperil the glassware and crockery of your Mom either! :D

I can walk downstairs fairly easily in heels, but I do go more slowly than in flats, and I rest one hand on the banister. I find it easier to turn slightly to the side and place my foot onto the stair diagonally so that I can get the balls of my feet onto the tread more easily. I have managed a flight of uneven stairs in the dark with my hands full while wearing 6" heeled platform boots, but wouldn't choose to repeat the experience! :D Chris

Whether or not I hold on depends on the height of the heels and the height of the stairs.. if its 3-4 steps I may not even bother when wearing ballet heels :D To come down from the 2nd floor of my current place I will hold on even in 4" heels since I kinda don't feel like tumbling down.

(formerly known as "JimC")

In 4 or 4 1/2" heels I just walk down. I have a pair of 5" heels with a chunkier heel and those are just fine too, but with 5"+ stilettos I hold on (lightly) to the banister unless I'm carrying something. Besides, one should never be in a hurry wearing heels, and it's more elegant/sophisticated to take your time :-)

just like chris,put your foot diagonally and your normally ok,going up is sometimes a problem on narrow stairs as you end up balancing on your toes,have only the once fell arse over elbow :D not good.luckily the ground,handrail and bottom step broke my fall! :cry:

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

Hmm, I frequently "run" down subway steps, but only in 3" stiletto boots. I'm sure those few that do notice my heels probably wonder, WTF, did I just see that? Then when they make it to the bottom of the stairs and peer their head around the corner at me for a double take, they go, "I did, I did just see that"

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

When I go the Art Museum I have to navigate one of several long stairways to and from the second floor. All the stairways start in major rooms that often have lots of people. I manage to go up and down the stairs wearing thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels. I do pay a little more attention to my steps, but I don't use the banister unless I'm really tired. I think I manage the journeys up and down the stairs with some grace. The last thing I want to do is catch a heel and stumble on an exposed stairway wearing 5” heels. It’s all part of the fun.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

We have 4 steps up to our place on which I have gone down on many occasion without the use of the handrail. Then, at times I use the handrail anyways. I always use the handrails on a strange pair of stairs or on a longer pair. I am extremely cautious getting on and off of the escalators in stores and use both handrails. I don't bounce very good, TEE! HEE! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have no problem going up and down a standard set of stairs in heels without hanging on, even the very narrow stairs going up to the projection booth at the movie theatre.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

i have gone up and down stairs a bunch of times,either wearing 8 inch platforms,or 5 or 5.5 inch heels....2 flights of stairs caring a laundry basket....usually having to do about 3 loads a weekend...what a blast it is to go up and down stairs,walking across the kitchen floor hearing the click click of the heels,then goin down and up the stairs,wondering if the neighbour upstairs can hear me walk.....

I usually can do it with the pairs of boots that I do have, which are 4-5inches on the heels (they are mostly platform styles, execept the pair that I'm wearing right now (dark tan knee high boots from NINE WEST with 4 inch BLADE HEELS,)with my skinny black tight pants(faded glory brand) tucked onto them, red t shirt- I do have some black ultra high platform sandals that are strangly "tricky' as it were to go DOWN stairs in, but on the UP direction they atually HELP me get up faster, if you can beleive it! :D (these are DEMONI brand by the way.

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

I'm impressed folks, lots of good heelers. I know the diagonal trick, but think it looks a bit shifty and is dodging the "challenge".

Any photos/vids of those having ticked the first option, wielding the silver salver? :D

... on and off of the escalators in stores...

Hmmm, they're tricky as the heel can get caught in the grooves of the step.

I voted i can but it depends when I try to do it.

Coming home late after party, might be a problem even in bare feet

True - and above all after the party just avoid people - with stilettos in particular - stepping on your hands :cry:

... but on the UP direction they atually HELP me get up faster ...

agree, UP is a breeze.

I can walk down a flight of stairs in my 5.75" stilettos, but find myself holding onto the banister. And yes, I do the diagonal foot placement. With my 5-inchers, I may try doing so without hanging on one of these days.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

OK...I voted I can just about do it...Which is really not correct as I usually walk down stairs without holding on to anything. Even in 5" ers!! I initially found stairs to be the biggest hurdle in wearing heels but with practce and experience, they're no big deal nowdays!! Even carrying a 45lb 3 year old :-)

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I thought I'd try walking down the stairs briskly in my 5-inch Jantes. Well, as luck would have it, I lost my balance, stumbled and ended up bending the heel in on my right shoe. It could have been worse, I suppose.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

• 1 year later...

I have about 10 steps I have to walk down to get to where i spend most of my time at home in my gym with my computor so I have had lots of practice walking down stairs mostly in 4" heels from stiletto to whatever. No prob.

real men wear heels

Great that you brought this thread back Johnie! I agree with the question from the first poster, downstairs is the most difficult thing to do in heels BUT holes in the walkway. I turned my ankles while in 5 inches the last time I was in the street in them and stepped in a hole without warning, what a shame. Wasn't hurt in the end, but it's dangerous. Downstairs is really a challenge. I can't do it without holding firmly (trying to pass confidence, of course).

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Hello Everybody,

I'm new, this is my first reply.

I can take stairs easily in 4".

With my ballets it's more difficult, and much slower... :wave:

Hi keek!:smile: Lucky you've ballets!

Well, walking down stairs is one of the most exciting thing while heeled!

Walking up is pretty easy. I put only the toe on the step, so that I can go faster and I don't risk to spoil the point of the shoes (especially the V-shaped).

Walking down is too cool. Never tried the diagonal-foot trick, with my last pair of pumps it'd be quite useless (the heel-to-toe distance is low). Never touched the handrail.

Ok, I'm not superfast while going down, but never wobbled and never esitated even if completely dark. I *could* handle "a tray of champagne glasses in each hand"!

I think I deserve the gold medal!

BTW: CeliaC is right, it's not a silly game. I remember, when I was just a kid, how many times I stumble on the stairs, marble stairs, terrible stublings, and I still can't realize how I never broke my legs/twisted my ankles/somwhow injuried.

PEOPLE, BE CAREFUL!

Can you see the real me, preacher? Can you see the real me, doctor? Can you see the real me, mother? Can you see the real me?

I go down the stairs very easily, but always will hold on the banister or slide hands on the wall if there is no banister because I was once a little over confident on 6inch wedge sandals and a long skirt comming down the stairs. The heel got couth in the skirt and down I went. Luckely I didn't break anything apart from my pride :smile: ..... Since then I always will hold on, specially going down. I can carry things up and down the stairs fairly easy but I am very slow, see the reason above. FL

FoxyLady

You should always hold the handrail coming down stairs regardless of your footwear. You don't want to become a statistic!

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_fal_on_and_fro_sta_and_ste-mortality-fall-stairs-steps

All of my company's offices has recently put "please hold the handrail" stickers in the staircases. A bit OTT but stair trips/falls is one of the most common and nasty domestic accidents.

Always High-Heel Responsibly

I normally don't have a problem walking down stairs. I do, however, use the hand rail whenever there is one. My problem is walking down ramps with heels over 4" high. If the ramp is steep, I find it really scarey.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.