Walking outside, or GRR what am I doing wrong?

KiraLA

I've tried going out in heels twice now, and both times I started slow on the sidewalk. I can walk perfectly fine in my house (both on carpet and tile) but when I get on the sidewalk I cannot walk right. Every time I step, I can feel the heel bending, but I'm paying close attention and I know I'm not putting my feet down any differently.

I really want to show off these new boots in public! Any suggestions?

Are they stilettos or block/blade heels?

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Every time I step, I can feel the heel bending

Perhaps you are an average guy which means that you are quite a lot heavier than a stiletto was field tested for. I don't wear stilettos outside but noticed a similar thing with blades. If you walk for a few 100 strides and are heavier than the average female, the shoe starts to give in and becomes a bit flexible thus giving the feeling you described. I'm now 7 kg lighter than I was during winter and I noticed that I can walk much further in the same boots before that phenomenon takes place.

It even happens a bit with my 8.5 cm block heel Bronx boots after being out for a long time.

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Hmmmmmmmm.... I weigh around 190lb and I don't seem to have that problem. Maybe you are placing more of your weight on the heel than you should have. Most of it should be on ball of the foot. Also it could be a sign of cheaply made shoes.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I think the weight would have someting to do with it. But probaly the most important thing is the quality of the shoes. Shure a lichter person can walk more easy in not so good produced shoes. But a bigger person like me just has to buy well build shoes in order to walk comfortly. This "problem" you don't notice at home because there you heve optimum curcomstances, flat surface and short distances. But outside it's a whole other ball game. At least thst's what I think about it. I habe walked outside in bad 2" and good 3" heels. The 3" where mutch more easy wo walk in.

I think it's been suggested somewhere else that you're less relaxed outside, and therefore you are walking differently. That could be enough to cause a problem. Also, and my pet theory, you tend to walk much further when you're walking outside, so different muscles get tired, making everything feel different. Either of those help?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

On 2002-06-01 09:26, Jeff wrote:

Are they stilettos or block/blade heels?

Well, first time was chunky heels, about 3.5" of height (1.5" platform 5" heel). Then this last time I had on 3" boots with heels that were narrow, though not as small as stilettos.

Someone else said weight should go on the balls of the feet... But I've watched women walk (a lot :smile: ) and they clearly put their heel down first, and that's what I'm trying to emulate.

On most shoes with a higher than 4.5" (size 8 UK/10 US 41 EUR) you could find that the heel is designed to flex. Also, it could be a cheap shoe with a weak shank- it isn't the heel bending it's the insole.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I agree with the Doc. I am "average" male weigth and with cheap shoes with thin soles, the shoe bends, making walking very uncomfortable. One advantage of platforms is that they thend to be stiffer (sorry for those of you that dislike platforms). When I go shopping for shoes the first thing I check is the bending of the shoe. If it is too flexible I just don't buy it as it will be uncomfortable for walking some distance.