Just what the hell is it about TALL ?

Why are humans programmed to regard tall people as more desirable ? It pisses me off being 5'9" and being regarded as somehow less of a person. I was thinking a while back of the time I was invited to a yachting friend's wedding. Nigel knew me as this character who single hands 32 foot sailing boats, repairs leaking toilets in force 8 gales without throwing up, can hoick out anchors which bigger guys can't, a half-decent navigator, a bon viveur in some respects, can cook and likes his wine. Some of this aura had preceeded my arrival at his reception (his parents had never met me). I was introduced as 'this is Xaphod' and got the comment 'oh, I thought you would be taller !' GRRRRRR Xa

Hell im 6'6" tall and built like the side of a house,pretty much everyone figures im some sort of thug or that im gonna mug them by the way they react if i walk towards or behind them because of my size (just wanting to pass them without shoulder barging my way through them!) Me im just a 'gentle giant' but no one seems to see that...Xaph you got it easy trust me! SW-W

Found this interesting article on CBSnews.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/28/opinion/garver/main614227.shtml

I especially like the last line, even being 6'4" and well put together - one glance at me and you wouldn't think I was into heels, unless I happened to be in my heels :D

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Why are humans programmed to regard tall people as more desirable ?

It pisses me off being 5'9" and being regarded as somehow less of a person.

I was thinking a while back of the time I was invited to a yachting friend's wedding. Nigel knew me as this character who single hands 32 foot sailing boats, repairs leaking toilets in force 8 gales without throwing up, can hoick out anchors which bigger guys can't, a half-decent navigator, a bon viveur in some respects, can cook and likes his wine. Some of this aura had preceeded my arrival at his reception (his parents had never met me).

I was introduced as 'this is Xaphod' and got the comment 'oh, I thought you would be taller !'

GRRRRRR

Xa

Gosh, I thought you were at least 6 foot! Another one of my illusions shattered. :D

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

Yeh, well it gets worse. I was 5'9 in my youth. At 65 I am 5'7, and that makes it all the worse, because when I eyeball a woman to estimate how tall she is in heels or otherwise, I'm still thinking I'm 5'9". That's why there are so many taller women now it seems. Tex

Hell im 6'6" tall and built like the side of a house,pretty much everyone figures im some sort of thug or that im gonna mug them by the way they react if i walk towards or behind them because of my size (just wanting to pass them without shoulder barging my way through them!) Me im just a 'gentle giant' but no one seems to see that...Xaph you got it easy trust me!

SW-W

Yes, I guess that can be difficult. I've had various friends built like yourself, big guys, handy for lifting out gateposts, but absolutely civilised despite appearances. OK, I suffer from everybodys primeval prejudices, but experience soon allows me to see the real person underneath

Found this interesting article on CBSnews.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/28/opinion/garver/main614227.shtml

I especially like the last line, even being 6'4" and well put together - one glance at me and you wouldn't think I was into heels, unless I happened to be in my heels :D

Ah, I now understand ..... my success in an Engineering career was nothing to do with the fact that I might have been reasonably good at it and more to do with the fact that I wore 3" lifts for most of the time.

Xa

O.K., O.K.,---so I'm short and dumpy at 5' 4.5"---so who cares! That may be the average "woman's" height, but let's face it---being that was the genes that my parents passed on to me---I have learned to live with it. I like that phrase, "Shoes of mass elevation" as wearing heels sure does help in the height department. But, I have always looked at it this way--If the U.S.A. was ever really attacked severly---I wouldn't have to dig as deep of a foxhole for myself---TEE! HEE! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I wasn't always so tall. In fact, my lack of height (I was 5'4" in 8th grade; I grew a full foot in 3 and a half years) was another inspiration for liking heels; my favorite aunt was only 4'11" and LIVED in heels. Naturally, as she was my favorite aunt, I was always over at her house when I was younger (from age 7 to about 10) and, of course, always wanted to wear those great heels she had - a perfect fit for much of that time span. Eventually, my feet grew and I didn't get taller, and I was always visiting my grandmother, whose shoes (she wore heels quite a bit too) fit me perfectly. Now I'm a giant, and I wear my own heels anyway :D but I'd have like to have stopped growing at around 5'9", which was the last time I could remember being able to properly fit a size 11.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I'm 5'7" and I was really fortunate to date a young lady who was 6'0" and didn't take off her 4"ers when we went out. I also dated a lady who is 4'10" and lives in heels. It actually hurts her to wear flat shoes of go barefoot.

I wish I could have stayed somewhere around 5' 7-9" instead of shooting up to 6'2". Gads....not only does it make it harder to find heels (due to large feet), but when I do wear them, I stand out even more (not that it would stop me). Plus sometimes people ask me in stores to reach stuff that's way up there, and although I don't mind doing it, it sort of makes me feel self-conscious at the same time. Too bad they haven't developed "bone-shortening" surgery to fix this sort of thing :D hee hee hee........

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking a while back of the time I was invited to a yachting friend's wedding. Nigel knew me as this character who single hands 32 foot sailing boats, repairs leaking toilets in force 8 gales without throwing up, can hoick out anchors which bigger guys can't, a half-decent navigator, a bon viveur in some respects, can cook and likes his wine. Some of this aura had preceeded my arrival at his reception (his parents had never met me).

I was introduced as 'this is Xaphod' and got the comment 'oh, I thought you would be taller !'

GRRRRRR

Xa

Hi Xaphod,

are you flipped out completely? I've just converted your body height into metric measures - to get an impression as a guy from the "continent". That must be something like 1.75 m. That's nearly the average male body height.

Myself I'm 6' 3'' (1.90 m). My foot size is EU 44/45 (UK 10/11). Well matching to my body height :cry: I have read often complaints of tall guys who dislike their big feet. I like my feet even if it's really hard to find fashionable high heels in my size. And you should accept your body height in the same manner. You have on heels the optimal height. Me on heels - that is an everlasting problem with door frames ... :D

nice greetings

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

... Plus sometimes people ask me in stores to reach stuff that's way up there, and although I don't mind doing it, it sort of makes me feel self-conscious at the same time. ...

At 5'10'' I don't consider myself altitudinally challenged - still - with my heels on it's nice to be able to reach that last teacup in the top kitchen cupboard or wipe the tops of the cupboards without a stepladder.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Did you ever notice how kids always seem to want the biggest presents or get the biggest packages? It seems to me that we learn from early childhood that bigger is somehow better. Of course, after you've been around a while you learn that such is not necessarily the case. Still, some notions die hard. Well, I've now got a medical condition that has caused my spine to collapse and I do still have trouble remembering that I'm no longer 5'10". In fact, I still remember my shock when someone recently asked my height (probably for some government form) and I honestly told 'em I didn't know. So out came the tape measure and they read off 66". YEOW! I never would have guessed! So the bottom line here is that unless I wear some tall heels with some really thick plats, I'm not going to get back to my original height. But at least no one's called me "shorty" lately.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

HAHAHA!!!!!!! I got you all beat. I was a wopping 5'6" in my youth and now at 52 and a body builder, I'm 5'5"1/2. I have had girlfriends from 5'11' to my now very beautiful 4'10" baby doll who by the way enjoys shoes as much as I do. I like who I am and if you can't be yourself, then who can you be.

real men wear heels

One thing I've noticed is that most of us who're taller do not regard taller people as having anything more "special" about them than shorter people. Although I'm considered an inch above average for my sex/age, I've usually had friends who were about 2" or more shorter than I was, but one of my best friends is 6'4". When it comes to friendship, size really doesn't matter.

One thing I've noticed is that most of us who're taller do not regard taller people as having anything more "special" about them than shorter people. Although I'm considered an inch above average for my sex/age, I've usually had friends who were about 2" or more shorter than I was, but one of my best friends is 6'4".

Somehow my brother (who's no shorty) managed to marry into a family of really big guys. Most of 'em stand around 2 meters tall and even the gals are often over 6' (bare footed). At least they're family now.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

There was something on tv a couple of years ago about an 18 yearold girl having surgery on her legs to remove pieces of bone and have them reset, simply because she felt too self conscious about her height. There was no valid medical reason - i think she increased her height by about 2 inches, and there have been other cases where people reduce they're height by a couple of inches. Although its a very long and painful proces, they insert those metal braces into your leg, and you have to tighten them yourself over a long period of time....ouch! So that's pretty extreme. Sorry if someone has already talked about this, but i thought you might be interested. Personally, i think the fact that everyone has different body types/height/skin colour etc is what makes them beautiful.

I believe cosmetic (or any) surgury used to repair below-average features (birth defects, gross acne, major trauma) are fine and normal. But I believe costmetic surgury used to improve average features into above average features is vanity at it's highest, and a reflection of a deep inner problem with security.

But hey, that's just my opinion, so before you pull out your flame-throwers, all I ask is that you examine why.

GRRRRRR

Xa

There's an old axiom that it is not the size of the man in the fight, but the size of the fight in the man that counts. :D

A big man would either dismiss such a comment as ignorant or maybe shoot back with something like, "I was expecting your yacht to be bigger." Or perhaps, "So sorry, but my butler took my big car to deliver some groceries to my mum, so I had to leave part of me behind in order to fit in the smaller car." :evil:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 months later...

HAHAHA!!!!!!! I got you all beat. I was a wopping 5'6" in my youth and now at 52 and a body builder, I'm 5'5"1/2. I have had girlfriends from 5'11' to my now very beautiful 4'10" baby doll who by the way enjoys shoes as much as I do. I like who I am and if you can't be yourself, then who can you be.

Out with the old, in with the new.LOL New GF is 5'3" and has more fun with heels than me and loves me to wear them when we go out, says I look very sexy in heels. YES!Any who in some ways, sizs really doesn't matter. Thats my own personal experience.

real men wear heels

Out with the old, in with the new.LOL New GF is 5'3" and has more fun with heels than me and loves me to wear them when we go out, says I look very sexy in heels. YES!Any who in some ways, sizs really doesn't matter. Thats my own personal experience.

I had a 5'3" girlfriend, once, for about 8 months in college. She was by far the sexiest partner I've ever had!

i'm 5'9". never felt short.. though I joke about it some times.. love my height. feel it's perfect! i can fit in most any cars comfortably and drive... as if the cars were made just for me!! and being i love to drive.. it's all gravy. my lady is 5'2.5" she seems to always feel short. but when you look at her... she carries herself such that most assume she's at least 5'5" without heels and a good 5'7" with her 4.5 inchers. only when you get next to her you realize she's not that tall. i have no idea how she does it. either way.. i grew up with the addage.. short people make better lovers. i have no way of proving it though. one of my brothers is nearly 6'. he likes it.. but finds sometimes it's a bit much in smaller cars (he loves to drive too). and most women to him are too short.. so now he's going exclusively after tall ones. oh well. what matters to me.. whomever you are.. be comfy in your own skin. you can't change it. and if your'e a tall gal.. dont' use that as an excuse not to wear heels. one of my pet-peeves with tall gals. RPM

i'm 190cm tall( i dono how mutch its on feets) for my country its realy tall, but of cuz realy its just normal, amny woman like to ahve tall man;) i saw man as like to me or even tall witch realy short gals to they side... you know its look realy funny...

every human has they own choices...