How old are ballet heels

BalletLover

As a long term ballet heel fan, I was just wondering if anybody knows the how many years they have been around. The earliest pictorial evidence I can find is the 1940's / 50's.

The left hand picture appears to be from the 40's from the design of her other shoe.

The middle has what seems an old design.

In the right hand picture third, the shoes have a home made look to them and the dress is from the 40's

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I have read of an act in a music hall in 1924 where a girl danced in ballet shoes with 9" heels, but this has not been confirmed.

Acording to www.bootlovers.com (issue 11, march 2002) the oldest known pair of boots that could be called ballet boots are from Austria, made in the 19th century.

Posted Image

Picture was used from their site, as they got the picture from a book.

They do have an excelent historical writeup in that issue, and many older photo's

Have fun

Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 6 years later...

Is she screaming in agony there? The oldest reference I know of of 8" heels was made in a journal from the 1890s. Of course the Victorians invented fetish so I wouldn't be surprised. Moreover, John Lobb and Sons had a pair of 18th century 5" thigh boots in their window for many, many years.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Has anyone seen the whole set of pictures of Michele Nichols (Lt. Uhura) in Ballet boots? Who was making these shoes back then?

http://coilhouse.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/uhuraboots01.jpg

http://coilhouse.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/uhuraboots02.jpg

I have a copy of Regent Shoe's (London) 1958 catalogue which includes what they called tip-toe shoes. A pair of Oxford ballet shoes cost £14, 14s, 0p or the equivalent of £279 allowing for inflation today.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a copy of Regent Shoe's (London) 1958 catalogue which includes what they called tip-toe shoes. A pair of Oxford ballet shoes cost £14, 14s, 0p or the equivalent of £279 allowing for inflation today.

Richy thanks!

1) That is quite a price surge:-)

2) Doas anybody know who was the inventor of Ballet boots in the form as we know today? I guess the developement was there as long as high heels were arrousing to someone. Obviously the increased hight of the heel led to an increase in stimulus and ballets are the logical consequence of it.

But doas anyone know names of shoemakers or designersd having this idea first?