Open toed shoes and nail polish

Laurieheels

Okay, question time, or is it survey time. Maybe it is a bit of both. I really like dark red nail polish for my toes when I am wearing sandals. But is there any ideas on proper colour schemes for toes when matching them with shoes? I'm usually in black so it's not an issue, and red looks appropriately tart like when wearing leopard prints. What does everyone else do?

Most girls and women around here wear an unobtrusive color on their fingernails, or more frequently, nothing at all, but wear really wild colors on their toes--bright purple, metalic green or blue. Red is quite unusual. _________________ Hi-Heeled Boots, Bodysuits, and Back-Zipper Pants R wikkid-kool (on me, or U)! <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-05-30 11:25 ]</font>

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I also experiment with colors, but always make fingernails and toenails match. If i wear black or red, my nails will be red or black, usually for the evening outings it happens, but during the day, if i wear pastel colours, when it's really hot for instance, then i also match my toenailcolors usually pinkish or even yellow or light-purple.

Normally I don't match with toe nails and finger nails. Mainly because work destroys my fingernails so much that it's easiest to keep clear and pink on them. I do remember a time when I always had black polish on my toe nails... even when I wasn't looking gothy. Obviously it was with black sandals, only.

Dark or mid purple. I think it goes well with black and I don't really fancy any other colour. I don't wear open shoes that much so it doesn't matter really I suppose, but I do wear open toe wedges/mules in the summer sometimes.

• 1 month later...

rather than match nail colors, i prefer to have them complement each other. i'll often put something neutral (silver) or classic (metallic red) on my toes. i change the polish on them much less often than my fingers, which i do a couple times a week to match what ever mood i feel. i'm young, and tend to dress in a darker, alternative style, so it's expected that my nails follow suit. i'll wear silver, red, hot pink, blue, purple, black.. sometimes i'll do a stripe or an X. i've even got some neon green polish. i file my nails into a retro rounded point. nails are a great way to experiment with funky color, without being too obvious or committed. the only thing i really hate to do is go out without ANY polish. i feel that it makes a girl look that much more polished and complete.

The X idea is intersting, same with the stripe. I like them. I often use the idea of a french manicure but play with it, red nails with silver tips, for example. A heavy coat for the tips can actually preserve the look of the nails for an extra day or two. So I really like tipping the ends with a different colour. I have yet to try it for my toe nails, maybe I will one day soon. I am thinking of adding Viking runes one day, just for fun, but that is a bit much for work, I think...

• 5 months later...

The X idea is intersting, same with the stripe. I like them. I often use the idea of a french manicure but play with it, red nails with silver tips, for example.

A heavy coat for the tips can actually preserve the look of the nails for an extra day or two. So I really like tipping the ends with a different colour.

I have yet to try it for my toe nails, maybe I will one day soon.

I am thinking of adding Viking runes one day, just for fun, but that is a bit much for work, I think...

Lauriheels: six months later...what happened with your idea?

For Viking Runes? I don't get enough time for that! Work is rough on my nails and of late, I haven't done anything more than clear polish to try and preserve them. I would need some good words to put on my nails, anyway, or at least, pick the right runes to convey the right meanings. I mean, they can't all be about strength, can they?

-Being a man, I do not know how much my vote counts for here... :lol: -Still, I'd like to add my thoughts to this discussion as it is one of my personal favourite topics. I adore long, I.E. ~1cm (0.5") (finger) nails (well kept, and with nail polish also well looked after). My wife got extensions (tips) for our wedding, and she complained about a lot of daily inconveniences due to them, so I am determined to try them out myself before I ask her to wear real long nails again. My own nails seem to (perhaps) follow the season. Most often they are able to grow to about 5mm ~1/4" before they *snap* off. I have tried a lot of "Nail strenghterners" (without Formaldehyde), but the common result is that the nail cracks "mirrorly" I.E the nail gets a "cutout" like if you folded the tip backwards. Or in other words, the outer edges most often stay in place, while the top(tip) becomes concave after the break. So a lot of reshaping is needed and a lot of time is lost while trying to get a nice looking nail. The autumn 2002 was *THE* big exception! I had a complete set of natural nails longer than 7mm (~1/4"), but had to go to a job interview I did not wanted to fail because of those, so I polished them down to a short length again... Since then I have not again been able to get them to be more than 3-4mm (~1/8") before "snapping" off or getting (the more usual problem) a tear on a side which very soon goes across the whole nail and byebye's the leftovers. -I'll try to keep to the subject from now on... :( I think that toe and finger nails should be coordinated!!!!!!!!!! -At least have no or clear polish on the fingers then... OK! Shout me out or whatever... I can only tell you what *I* would like to see on other people. This is; 1. Long (well formed) fingernails (about 1cm 1/2") 2. Well kept nail polish (on all visible finger and/or toe nails). 3. Nail polish color (sorry GB for the lacking "u"...) matching the dress worn. 4. -Really not needed, but anyhow, for your own sake please think about which nails are visible or not (at least up here in Sweden, where the feet normally are well covered about half of the year...), and consider if the toe and finger nails are *somewhat* coordinated... -I mean, why go through all the trouble of painting if the result is a pure fiasco??? -Perhaps I am a very odd individual, but I still DO believe that all visible nails (on a living human; Got you, or did I miss something?) should match the worn clothing (or the lack thereoff whenever it happens). To conclude my latest filibuster speach; -Please, for the pleasure of others, *DO* consider the coordination of your nail polish. Just so *you* know that, there are actually living humans who really notice (just) *you* during the whole day!!! (This message is *NOT* intended to a specific individual on earth. It is just my private considerations put in text) TallSwede

I suggest Right and Left, but put them on the opposite feet!

I am going to be quite confused if I do that! I know my right and left, and then I'll look down, and notice the runes are opposite.

Besides, left is four letters, and what would I use for a fifth letter?

Ha!

Why not use the Chinese characters for left and right, respectively? Or if you're really stuck on Runes, use their wicca divination meanings. :(:lol:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Why not use the Chinese characters for left and right, respectively? Or if you're really stuck on Runes, use their wicca divination meanings. :(:lol:

Because being a Dane, I would like to use something that has more of a connection to my family's past. Self expression of what one is about through one's appearance, I guess.

Hi, I usually like to wear a dark red nail polish on my toes when wearing my open toe sandals, but a friend asked me to try something different. He asked me to do a French pedicure to match my French manicure. It looked quite pretty, and I got numerous comments on my pretty feet and toenails that night out. I've done it several occasions since. You have to let your nails grow out a bit so you can have a nice white edge. :lol:

Perhaps I misunderstood BabeinHeels, But having "long" toenails is *not* convenient when wearing "closed toe footwear". -I can vouch for this. -As a matter of fact, I would like to have a try with long foot nails which, of course, would limit me to a small selection of footwear (during the summer in Sweden) (-Hey; the Stiletto boots; Deal or No deal? :lol: ) I normally wear (decently looked after) painted toenails all year around, so I am quite interested in this subject. Wearing any sort of "confining" footwear *DO* require you to be extra conscious about the nails on your feet, as this might otherwise be an unsuspected dilemma... TallSwede

The answer, Tallswede, is to wear shoes with pointier toes. This leaves more room in the toe box, and the longer nails do not get in the way! The only drawback I can find with long nails is that they can tear through stockings a bit easier. Even with run resistant toe.

Hi TallSwede, Yes, it is difficult to wear a closed toe heel with long toenails, but the topic was toenails in sandals. However, I did wear a pair of 7" clear ankle boots last night with my french pedicure. Showed through the vinyl very nicely. You just have to make sure your heels are very well fit to your foot to let your nails grow out a bit. XO Babe

Hi BabeinHeels, I am trying to do my best to grow "real" long nails (on my fingers) but they apparently like to snap off (most often as an inverse halfmoon i.e. the outer corners stay put, but the middle part goes away). For the moment I have about 3-4mm ~1/4" length overall(?) but my left hand has managed to keep its little finger nail at about twice that length (probably due to pure luck). Trying to get back on the topic, I and Mano, who posts here at times, have chatted a little about the subject of having long toenails. We agreed upon the necessity to have sandals which allowed all the toes to see the light of day, and that the plat at the front of the shoe to be tall enough to shield the nails while taking a (normal) step. -Well, I am completely contended if I can get a set of decent looking finger nails at about 1/2" length, so I am not trying to make any asprirations on getting long toe nails for the moment. -One problem at a time... :lol: TallSwede

When I remember, I use Healthy Hoof Intensive Protien Treatment on my finger nails. Okay, so it claims to be something horse trainers use, now marketed for people. I have seen my nails get a little bit better over the past few weeks. They still peel, and after that they break, but it is not every nail now, just one at random here and there. So rubbing this cream into the cuticles has helped me a bit. I will keep everyone updated on the results as the months go by.

I would never wear high heel sandals without a professional pedicure and ten perfectly polished red toenails. I am a guy that started wearing blue and violet nail polish on my toes several years ago. The women that I work with either wear no nail polish on their fingernails or they wear a French Manicure. All of them wear red polish on their toenails. They told me that if I am going to wear nail polish on my toes that it should be bright red polish. After all, since I get professional pedicures, I want everyone to notice my toenails and red is the best color for getting noticed. I usually wear open toe high heel sandals to work and get many compliments from women on my choice of sandals and red nail polish. Red has become a natural color for my toenails. My favorite color is OPI I'm not Really a Waitress. It is a very pretty bright iridescent red. Tahira, I love your sandals and your nail polish. What color is the nail polish? Jamie :lol: Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Hi all,

I like all colours on my toenails really, I guess I like to try and match them to he sandals I'm wearing.... although I would say reds were my favourite and especially on men for some reason. Here are just a few examples of how I co-ordinate my own:

Posted Image

http://www.paragraphics.co.uk/~jules/images/GoldFrenchP4

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Love to you all

Julietta xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer