Heels and Dance/Ballet

sscotty727

I saw something today and wondered if anyone else has experience with this or what your thoughts are. My daughter (4 yrs old) is taking dance class. While I was sitting outside the class today waiting for her to finish, I saw this girl (had to be between 10 and 12). Anyway, she was talking around on her toes as if she was wearing very high heels (almost like invisable heels). A thought struck me, I wonder if dance (ballet) would be great for training the foot (and legs) to wear heels. I mean you stretch your feet, toes, legs, practice going up and down on your toes. She looked like she could easily wear higher heels. Has anyone else either done this or seen it? What are your thoughts on it? Scotty

I have heard that ballet is good for heel wearing, but not neccessarily the other way around.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Ballet boots are not so called for nothing... :D In fact there was a time when LSB wouldn't sell you them unless you were a ballet dancer.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Yeah, that is true about the ballet boots, but this girl wasn't walking on her toes, she was walking with her foot arched as if she were wearing a 4 or 5 inch heel. And she was walking all over the place with her foot locked into the position. I was impressed to say the least.

she must do very well in her 'pointe' class! I wish I would have stuck with it longer than 2 years when I was younger, instead of switching to baton lessons to be a majorette which didn't last too much longer...hehe

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

Hallo, this all gets to a story of "Highluc" about a "balletschool" where dancers practising in walking in the "poined down" of there feet. learing walking from low heeled shoes to ballet heeled shoes, included a lot of pictures. Another story is "The Heritage" about a male dance want to take over the balletschool but he had to be fully skilled to dance on his toes and be helped by real ballet heels shoes to get is ankle used of the vertical arch of his feet. It's teh same set-up included some pictures form 2 inch heels util balletheel style. Both are put nicely together and with the pictures lights up the text. practish your high heels A3

I agree with BobHH. I have seen ballet dancers in the studio where I take dance class and when They take off their shoes and I see their feet. YUCK!! No more sandals for them. You can take different forms of dance that would help with wearing heels, and you would not kill your feet. Jazz dance is great, but even tap dance which I do can help with heels infact, You can even tap dance in heels. I do

Actually, it is a dance/ballet studio, but I don't think she is doing ballet, just general dance (maybe jazz?). As I said, she wasn't walking on her tippy toes, she was walking around as if she was wearing 5 inch high heels. And she seems to be walking around pretty well like that. She also lowered her heel and raised it up with absolutely no problems.

One of the exercises my dance partner has me doing is raising my heels up off the floor slowly, holding them up (on my toes), then lowering slowly. It was hard at first, but now is easier. She has suggested that I dance in high heels to get used to the foot angle, but I haven't tried it. My problem was that I tended to sag when I was supposed to be up on my toes, but it is better after the raising and lowering exercises. She said she didn't like feet, and thought hers were sort of ugly. They aren't, though she has sort of bunions on her toes from ballet. I told her she had pretty feet a number of times, and she may be starting to believe me, or at least accept it.

• 1 year later...

I did ballet/ pointe when I was younger and I definitly think it helped my heel wearing. Doing ballet you develop very strong feet and high arches and flexible ankles, though it def makes your feet non pretty in the process. Now that I dont do ballet anymore but live in heels, I do think that my ballet experience helped train my feet for my later heel training. Jen

Yes, I do walk in these