I had a digital camera for Christmas - that's not a rant

Hi!

If you got a genuine Windows installed (that's what I suppose ;o) ) then try to get their Antispyware-Tool set up as well (use Windows Update). It searches for malicious software on your machine and will eventually remove it. Furthermore try to install a firewall (like ZoneAlarm) and a virus-scan tool (e.g. Antivir - I use this for four years now and it's just great; it's free of charge).

Let us know how things evolve...

CU!

-Mike

I don't think twain drivers are necessary to download files from an Olympus to the computer, since Olympus cameras appears as simple "Removable Mass Storage Device" to Windows 2000.

Since you've called Olympus help desk I'm sure they explained everything that is possible to find out where is your camera appearing to the operational system. Your USB port is surelly not working. Maybe a driver or a missing internal connection.

Your internet is slower then before? Windows 2000 is fat and eats a lot of memory! 500MB is the minimum necessary to be confortable in it, that's the cause. Broadband will not solve your problems I'm sure.

A new computer can be the solution but a computer repair store can fix it to you at a very low price. Try that!

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Flavio, okay, if this is true for the Olympus cam then it's one problem down on fogborkenvv's ToDo-list. Nevertheless, I own a Canon EOS 350D and it needs Twain-Drivers in order cooperate with Zoombrowser & Co under Win2k. That's why I pointed that out since I went from there. But now that I run WinXP I could use the WIA-Drivers and simply connect the Digicam to my machine via USB saving the files browsing the cam's folder structure in the explorer. Anyway, I don't do that because a card reader - which I use to save the pictures from the memory card - is much more handy in that case. Meanwhile you can recharge your cam's "battery". CU! -Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning, I'm back. Loading Windows 2000 was the death knell for my old computer, so I bit the bullet and took a trip out and bought a new lap top. Well it was my birthday last week - I was 50. It's up and running and the screen is big enough to see entire pictures, which saves all the scrolling across to read the text. Once again, thanks for all the advice and help posted here.

Laptops are SUCH a godsend! I wasn't sure how well I'd like them once I got one, but I was fortunate that our company gets a good discount with Dell, so I snagged one. It's an Inspiron 6000 and it even has a SD card reader built in, so you can just take the card from your camera, and slap it in the slot. No muss, no fuss. They are wonderful things, that's for sure!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Well it worked! Here's another pic. I've used my tenor viol as a prop. The viol was popular in eighteenth century France - goes well with cavalier boots.

Posted Image

I must say I'm very pleased with my new lap top, and a side benefit is that Mrs. F can use it to work from home, so the expense wasn't all frivolous.

Well it worked! Here's another pic. I've used my tenor viol as a prop. The viol was popular in eighteenth century France - goes well with cavalier boots.

Posted Image

I must say I'm very pleased with my new lap top, and a side benefit is that Mrs. F can use it to work from home, so the expense wasn't all frivolous.

Wow, those are some nice boots. Hope you can make it to the London heel meet in those!

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Lovely colour boots. Even more interesting instrument. Clearly not a 'cello. Is it a baryton? PS: Me being stupid and not reading that you said it was a viol. I thought I saw frets and made a guess.

Fogborkenvv:-) Glad to see that you have finally sorted out how to post pics. I'm still working on it. Fantastic boots---love them. Can you give us all of the details on them. I wouldn't mind a pair of them myself. The cello isn';t too shabby either. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Thank you for all your generous comments, they're my favourite boots I'm glad you liked them. I bought them in Office in Croydon and put a post about doing so in the thighboots in public thread. I'm getting a bit frustrated with my lack of tecky savvy. I tried to put a link to that thread and failed - then manage to loose the entire post I wrote! Anyway, I posted it on Jan 17th and its on page 43. Talking about tecky know how, will Norton internet security keep me safe? It keeps on telling me about cookies it's blocking - which is a good thing I suppose. The instrument is a tenor viol, mummy bear of the set - although there are ones that are smaller than baby and a big daddy. ~That makes five bears - a kind of extended family. The bass was the solo instrument of the set, I spent some time looking for old pictures, I found a cavalier type playing wearing knee high boots with cavalier tops, and the famous picture from Christopher Simpson's division viol, published in England mid 17th century - which shows the playing position, the man pictured is wearing shoes that would certainly be considered feminine by today's standards. Heels help with holding the instrument, especially if you've got short little legs like me. I've worn 2" block heels to a friend's house with no reaction - a more sensible approach than using a couple of telephone directories as a stool.

Posted Image

Nice boots, it's almost certainly a bass viol in the shape of a cello, I can't see how many pegs it's got.

Posted Image

This is the classic mid-seventeenth century English picture, from an instruction book. Included mainly for the shoes.

Norton internet security has told me they've blocked an attempt by a cookie from Next Direct to infiltrate my computer. Is this something I should worry about? Perhaps the less you know the better - but I'm still wondering why my old one ground to a halt and hoping that this new one keeps going. I'm putting this here, because a lot of knowledgeable people answered my initial query.

That's odd, I can see them! I did move them, it didn't seem to make any difference to what I can see here.

How about this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm having a fun time playing with my camera, I'll be posting more pictures soon.