I had a digital camera for Christmas - that's not a rant

The good news isMrs. F bought me a digital camera for Christmas. The bad news is that I can't get it to speak to my computer. It's got windows 98 on it which i'm told is now pre-historic. At one stage it had 98 second edition but it crashed and I borrowed some discs. Do any of you techies out there have any idea how I can get it to work without loading another edition of Windows?

Sad to say if your camera uses a USB port for downloads, Windows 98 is shaky at best with all the latest updates. There may be no way to get it to work without upgrading your operating system.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Hi,

Windows 98 is a little old and no longer supported.

Go to my computer then devices and see if there is any usb devices listied, if there are and you no longer use them, then delete them(only if you have a win98 disk) and reinstall the ports.

If not, load something else more up-to-date.

Nigel.

There is more to computers than microsoft though. as with our heels, we dont all have to comply with the norm.

www.opensuse.org

The angels have the phonebox.

Does your camera use a removable Compact Flash or Secure Digital or Memory Stick memory module? If so, you should be able to buy a card reader to plug into your computer. Unfortunately, most of those have USB connections, or plug into the PC Card slot on a laptop. I had one that worked through the parallel port, but it was slow at transferring the pictures. Try searching the web for memory card readers. You should be able to find something.

Even 98SE is pretty shaky unless you are using USB 2.0. Best bet is to upgrade your system, or go to your local shop and get a deal on a new one. New systems, if you shop smart, can get you a lot of bang for your buck. 98SE+USB=days and days of rage and flying computer parts IMHO.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Thanks for the advice. The frustrating thing is I had windows 98 SE, but when my machine crashed I borrowed some disks which happened to be windows 98. A whole new computer would be the answer, but I'll try to get a set of disks and see if that works first.

If you have a low end computer my sugestion to have the ultimate software technology without spending a penny in new hardware and expensive Microsoft operational systems is go to Linux. Linux is the OS of my choice at home, the distribution I use is called Ubuntu considered the best and widely used in 2005. Foruns like this use PHPBB wich is a technology designed in free and open source software too. All modern Linux distributions have full support to USB devices and digital cameras, with very good image treatment software. Here goes my 2 cents.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

no offense flavio, but as a longtime linux user myself (at one time for my desktop, now just on serveres and such) I would hardly consider it prudent advice to recommend someone make the jump from windows 98 to linux. The very fact that he's using 98 speaks volumes as to his technical savvy (no offense btw, but seriously, I wouldnt wish 98 on my worst enemy at this point) and familliarity with computers and operating systems in general. Although linux is a wonderful OS if you know what your're doing, for someone who isnt a computer expert, it can be a rediculous headache to say the least. Most people who grew up using an OS with a graphical user interface are absolutely overwhelmed when something on a linux computer stops working and they have to use a command line to enter commands and fix tghe problem manually. and having to download source and compile your own programs is out of the grasp of the common computer user. Although I know what I'm doing on a linux computer, the longest I was ever able to run it as my desktop was like 6 or 7 months....I grew up on windows and missed it too much. I would recommend you upgrade to windows XP, or at least windows2000.....dont worry about the hardware your running....the system requirements are merely recommendations, not actual requirements....as long as you have more than 128mb of ram (might even be 64, I forget), you can install and run XP on almost any PC. I have a 486 from the early 90's downstairs with XP on it right now.....it doesnt do all that much and I wouldnt dare us it to game or do much other than surf the net, but it most certainly works :D

I would recommend you upgrade to windows XP, or at least windows2000.....dont worry about the hardware your running....the system requirements are merely recommendations, not actual requirements....as long as you have more than 128mb of ram (might even be 64, I forget), you can install and run XP on almost any PC. I have a 486 from the early 90's downstairs with XP on it right now.....it doesnt do all that much and I wouldnt dare us it to game or do much other than surf the net, but it most certainly works :D

You're a brave soul, Terayon, for running XP on 64MB of RAM. I have one 1.47Ghz with 256MB of RAM, and I think that's the lowest I would run it on. 2000 may be a better alternative since it's not much higher than 98 as far as memory requirements go.

Flavio: I agree with Terayon on Linux. I have a friend at work who uses Ubuntu and Gentoo on his boxes, and he usually rolls them up from the kernel outwards when he can. Linux has a pretty steep learning curve unless you get one that holds your hand most of the way like Red Hat. Also, there are literally dozens of distributions available depending on your tastes over at www.distrowatch.com

Fogborkenv: I wish you luck on getting the discs you need. Let us know how it all pans out :-)

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I have tried Ubuntu and struggled, opensuse is dead easy to use and set up. I went to linux as I felt that windows was to much like hard work keeping it secure. I have never had to use a command line with suse, things have moved on you know. I would suggest trying the latest suse. but I know I will never agree with those of you windows fans.

The angels have the phonebox.

It is good to know that we have Windows and Linux users here in this very forum.

For sure it's a matter of personal preference, the forum is not for OS discussion, of course a beginner will have a lot of problems trying to find the best linux distro for his needed task. I use both linux and windows, several distros where tested in more then 5 years and at home I abandoned Windows there is more then one year and I'm in Ubuntu there is 6 month.

But I will never recomend someone to run Windows XP in a computer less then a Pentium III and 128MB and a 20GB HD. NEVER.

And if someone wants to get started in Linux, find a good friend to help in the first steps. As everybody did in Windows before. And today the knowledge of command line intructions is not so necessary for a home user as everything is available graphically, including the installation.

What I said was just a sugestion .

Another sugestion is trying Windows 98 SE with USB support or Me. all of then are very problematic and unsupported, but if a 98 is working fine the user can confortably try it and have USB working in his box.

The main problem with Windows 98 and USB is really not a problem with windows 98 itself, but due to the fact that Windows 98 came out at approximately the same time as USB, and the industry had not yet standardized the USB chipsets. So while Windows 98 would work with some chipsets it would not work with others. It's stabiliy really depends on what USB chipset is on your motherboard.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I've had no problem with a Sony CD-Mavica USB and Windows 98 and a Minolta Dimage Z1 and Windows 98. You may have to find a USB driver for Win98, it may take some looking on the Internet. Start with the CD that came with your camera, look for a Win98 directory on that CD. If that fails, try the camera manufacturers' web-site. I wholeheartedly agree with the posters praising Linux. I prefer Slackware myself and use it whenever possible. I have also used Turbo-Linux, Red Hat, Fedora Core 3, SuSE, and Debian -- they are all great. But, alas my work projects involve Windows so I have to wade through that muck all too often. But Linux -- and I love it fully -- is not for the faint-of-heart. Setting it up, configuring it, and getting everything to work can take some technical expertise most novices simply do not have. But once you get it going it is more stable and capable than any O.S. I have ever used. Plus, being an occasional programmer, I appreciate the full suite of development tools that come with Linux. I have decided that any attempt to stay on the "cutting edge" of computer technology is an exercise in futility because it changes so fast. If you have a system that does what you want it to do, stay with it regardless of how antiquated people say it is. If it isn't working for you, then upgrade -- but do so on your schedule, not Bill Gates's.

Have a happy time!

I agree with JMC, and use Slackware myself. Linux is a great system, far more stable than Windows, no viruses to worry about and very fast. It's hard going when you first start though, even for someone with some UNIX experience like I had. I'd suggest anyone try it as a dual boot setup, but having tried a few different versions including Suse and Mandrake, I've not had a setup where everything worked out of the box without needing to be tweaked. Chris

I did get a digital camera for myself before Christmas, but it won't talk to my web-tv set-up. Then my printer went caphlooey and now I'm looking for one that will be compatible wth the web-tv and can print me some good looking pics. I may have to get a card reader of some sort to put pics on the internet, and being computer challenged doesn't help any either. Don't hold me to it, but if there is any way of getting pics of Dawn HH through the web-tv, at least I'm working on it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

When I was at college 2 years ago, as a student aide in the computer lab, the beginning computer science class had the students first installing Linux, then windows 2000, as a dual boot system, on some very old "practice" computers, at the very low edge of operability for windows. The bare minimum system that we found that you could install a working version of windows 2000 on, was: Pentium 166 MHz w/48 MB RAM, or Pentium 133 MHz w/64 MB RAM, and 800 MB HDD And it took about 4 hours to install! For a dual boot system, you needed at least a 2 GB HDD.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, Thank you once again for your answers, the problem is I've had a bit of a problem understanding your advice. So far I've tried to load windows 98SE without success, but the antique computer is still working, which is a bonus. I think I'll have to go down to the computer shop and buy a brand new idiot proof one. You'll know I've cracked it when you start seeing pictures of me here!

Fogborkenvv:-) I'm like you and I am working on pics myself. I bought a digital camera just before Christmas, and I bought a printer yesterday that can print pics as my old printer couldn't print photos and went on the fritz. I also bought a little tripod for my camera and a card reader. Now, all I have to do is figure out how all of this is going to work together with my web-tv set-up. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

fogborkenvv

It's aways easier for the ones not well skilled with computers to buy a brand new configured computer with seller or manufacturer support to help you install external hardware like USB cameras. A good computer with Windows XP will work with your camera just pluging and copy your pictures to the HD. If you have money to this, it's the right choice.

Dawn HH

I'm sure your Web TV box will never work with card readers or USB cameras. If there is a USB port on it then you'll have some functionallity not concerned to all kinds of external hardware. Maybe it's just to plug the box to a computer, today's USB ports are designed to be a host or a client not both. The boxe's port should be a client, if it's present. Cameras are clients too, so there's no connection between two clients.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Siadwell here again. I've successfully loaded Windows 2000, but still no joy. I'm sure you'll be amazed by the depth of my ignorance. I think the problem is with my USB. Ok - there's a little square socket on the back of the computer that the wire from the camera fits into - the usb port right? There's something lacking though - is it softwear I can download, or do I need to buy a bit to add to the machine? I recognise a new computer doesn't cost that much at the moment, but we seem to be going through an expensive time at the moment, so if I can end up downloading pictures on this one I'd be very glad.

USB ports are standardized and the driver is the same for all models. Windows 2000 aways worked fine with USB with me. What can be going on is: - the USB connector is present but not connected to the mainboard; - the USB connector is in an expansion PCI board that, maybe, needs driver instalation; - the USB ports are damaged; - you plugged the camera and the camera needs instalation drivers. Sugestion: - RIGHT click in "My Computer" icon and then "Properties"'; - click in the tab "Hardware"; - click in "Device Manager"; - check if "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" is present in the hardware list. If yes the port can be dammaged or connector is not plugged in the mainboard or the camera is not working or something similar. If not: - the connector is just there but the port doesn't exist; - the port is not installed, try the "Add New Hardware" wizard selecting the kind of port you're trying to install. Maybe it can help you...

IMPORTANT OBSERVATION that I forgot in the last post: Aways plug your camera in the USB port with the computer ON and the Windows fully loaded and running. USB are aways hot pluggable and the hardware wizard will not detect your camera if it's plugged uppon startup. After the first time, your camera can be connected even if the computer is off.

Flavio, Thanks for your explanation. I've been bothering the Olympus helpdesk, and got that far. I downloaded another usb driver. The usb stuf is there in device manager, but the camera just isn't detecting it. I suppose if it's not connected up it's a matter of taking the cover off and looking inside. I think the first advice of a trip to a computer shop for a new computer is going to be the simplest. I suppose if I'm having this much trouble connecting a camera I should forget broad band?

Hi! The thing that should happen is that you will be seeing the camera's storage media folder structure somewhere in the folder structure shown in the explorer on the left pane (press the 'Folder'-button in the main menu if the folder-view is not there). There should be an icon representing your camera. The bad thing is for this to work you need so called WIA-drivers (should have been on the CD that came with your camera) which is only available for WinMe- and WinXP-system structure and is (explicitely) not thought to work with Win2k. There you need TWAIN-drivers along with some utility software that should be on the support-CD as well. The only alternative to circumvent all that WIA and TWAIN stuff would be to get an external USB card reader to work with your computer. In order to accomplish that just follow the advices given earlier by flavio. I.e., check if there's really a USB-socket behind the 'square opening' on the backside of your computer and check if it is connected to the mainboard. It's no prerequisite that the socket is connected to the mainboard in order to have the USB-stuff listed in the device manager but to eventually operate the USB-device it IS! One more thing: It's not important if you connect USB2.0 and USB1.1 in the first place - they will communicate but only at the speed USB1.1 supports at max. For high volume data transfer you have to use a USB2.0 host and a USB2.0 device in order to accomplish your data transfer in a reasonable amount of time. For 128MB of data via a USB1.1 connection you need to wait roughly 2 minutes. Imagine, you filled, say, 3 cards of 1GB each with your camera... - see what I'm getting at? If you need to get some new hardware just do it but the right way. CU! -Mike

Thanks Flavio & Mike, I've looked in device manager, and spent some time talking to the olympus helpdesk, which wasn't very appropriately named! I suppose they did their best. The really bad news is that since I've downloaded Windows 2000 the internet has become really flakey. I downloaded a Twain driver - but when I was looking for a download for a usb driver what happened was that a thing that looks for bargains on the internet - zango or something like that installed itself on the computer and it refuses to uninstall. What happens is that this thing is working in the background and nothing will open. My presence on this forum will be very limited until I've sorted it out. I was looking at some nice laptops in Dixons, that's the way to go I think, take it on the train to work and watch a dvd, but I've got to save my pennies for that. Rob