At the office

Terry

We had our office Christmas lunch today, at a restaurant near the office. Not everybody could come, but there were eight of us...seven women and myself. So it was inevitable that someone would start talking about shoes. I didn't say much...just a few 'must be hard to walk in all day' kind of things. After lunch, me and three of them went back to the office (boss, receptionsist, copy room person). Since heels were still fresh in their minds, I joked with a couple of them that maybe I should get some, to make me taller (I'm 5'5"). Then I went to the lunch room. I had seen a pair that one girl leaves there, black suede with a 3 or 4 inch block heel, kind of a rounded toe, so I put them on (they were 9 1/2 or 10...I'm a 9), went back to where the others were. The boss, at her desk, didn't notice. Also, the copy person, even though I'm 3 or 4 inches shorter than her but now our eyes were level with each other, didn't notice. My pants didn't hide them much, most of the heel was visible, but I had black pants, black socks, and the shoes were black. Then, the receptionist, at her desk, which is farther away, noticed, and said 'OMG, Terry' and started to laugh. I showed them the shoes, lifting up my pant leg a bit, then walked around a bit. They laughed, looked interested. I said I could probably wear a pair some day and bet that none of the clients would notice, since they hadn't. The copy person said wedge heels are more comfortable. I left them on for a while, while we talked, then took them off. Later I went to the copy room...I knew the copy person had a pair there...so, I picked one up and said 'here's those wedge heels that I need' and she said 'don't stretch my shoes' but they were size 9 so knew they would fit, so I just said that I have small feet for a guy, and pretended to gently try them on. I said look, they are just my size, so put the other one on and walked around. They had about a 3 inch wedge heel, were black leather, with a rounded toe. She said probably no one would notice. I don't think I ever would wear any at the office....most of our clients are rather conservative, so you don't want anybody upset. But it was a fun afternoon.

What a great way to break the ice, Terry! It's great that the gals at the office had such an open response to you wearing their shoes. Since you said you were wearing all black, I agree that most would probably not notice unless it was something way out of the ordinary. If you wore styles that co-ordinated with your outfits, then I think it would go over quite well. After all.....JeffB already pioneered that movement, and seemed to have made excellent progress. Once you get more into it, it may get even easier. It's all about your comfort level though, so do what you feel comfortable with.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Terry, Best you go shopping - real quick! :D Way to go. I've been wearing 3.5" block heeled ankle boots (aka booties) at work now for the last 2 months and no one has noticed or commented. The key is getting the whole trouser (pants) and shoe look right. If it looks co-ordinated, it doesn't stand out. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Way to go, Terry. Maybe you should start out easy like JeffB did. Now everyone expects him to be wearing heels at the office, and he has come a long way since. He is now street-heeling in heeled shoes and boots. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!