One small step down the Kings Road

Heelson

For the benefit of non-UK Board members, the Kings Road is a semi-trendy mile-long road in south west London ... I personally remember it from the "punk" days (mid 70's) when its shops attracted a lot of the early punks. Anyway ... I spent a most enjoyable couple of hours last week wandering up and down Kings Road (and Sloane Street) in my 4.5" stiletto heeled black knee boots. OK, so most of the heel was hidden under long black jeans, but my heeled height, combined with a definite "clack clack clack" sound as I walked made me feel fairly "obvious". Did I get a second look? Not that I saw. Did I get any adverse comments? Not that I heard. Did the world turn upside down and throw me off? Not that I noticed. Did I have a great time? You bet. Went into a couple of the shoe shops down there - no reaction from the assistants. Its taken me a long time to go out in public as obviously as that trip. It was c5pm and the street was busy with both shoppers and plenty of cars driving by. For all those other readers of this board who are thinking "I could never do that" ... well, that's what I thought for many months. Now I wish that I'd taken that first small step a lot lot earlier! Am I going to become a full-time heel wearer? No - that's not practical given my job / life etc. But I will be walking up and down the Kings Road again a couple of nights next week. This is just too good not to do again and again and again :D:wink::wink::evil: Thanks to all here ... being able to read others' experiences has been a great help. H

Congrats, Heelson! It actually was as easy as we said wasn't it?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Heelson:-) And every time you street-heel, you will gain more confidence and have more fun doing it. You won't be able to wait till you can do it the next time. And again and again and again. Congrats! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

At the risk of getting boring ... I've just done it again!!

Walked from Sloane Square about 3/4 of the way down the Kings Road and then all the way back again too. Stopped off to have a look round a few shops - tempted in by some really neat looking boots, but frighted off by some really scary price tags!

Then stopped off at Waitrose and wandered around doing some shopping - I have to eat (and drink) you know.

All in these boots;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-Side-Laced-Knee-Boots-5-Heels-5_W0QQitemZ7730972463QQcategoryZ63889QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

(if that link doesn;t work, search ebay.COM for "unique side laced" and you'll see a picture of my boots - incidentally, Bob & Angie are a great eBay seller)

Now - ok - I was wearing them under black jeans and a long black leather coat ... but I think the coat got more second glances than the heels did!!

Yup, this really is as easy as all the streetheeling guys say it is.

So on the upside, :D:wink: that it is as easy, and that I'm doing it.

And on the downside, :wink::evil: for why didn't I do it earlier!!

Next I think I'll try a quick pint in one of the pubs.

Thanks all

H

Heelson:-) Congrats to you for being able to walk all that distance in 5" heels. You certainly are having a lot of fun street-heeling. Keep going and let us all in on your fun. That's a great pair of boots that you are breaking in out in public walking. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Heelson -

What a great looking pair of boots. Seems a shame to hide them under your jeans. Try seeing what they look like over your jeans. If you like the look, there is no reason not to go out and about. I'm not familar with London but it sounds like you have gone to an area that would not have a problem seeing your boots.

Wearing boots/heels is all about confidence. If you are comfortable with your look, and project that confidence, the rest of the world will buy it.

The hardest step is the first one.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi Lorilegs I know how you feel. I felt that way for a long way too. I'd only wear heels outside if I could be 99.99% certain that no-one would see me. That meant going out at night, in deserted places, and never going too far from my car so that I could always get back to it if anyone came along. That sort of behaviour looks pretty suspicious to anyone who does come along. And what other sort of people are hanging around deserted places in the dark? All in all, a high risk approach to heeling. Wearing them out in daylight, in busy streets, where lots of people will see them - if they notice - is a lot safer I decided. And a lot more fun I discovered. As TBG also says ... it's about confidence. So, I'm walking along and I'm wearing heels. So what? I'm happy, I'm comfortable, and I'm not nervously looking back at everyone who walks past to see if they're looking back at me. I don't care if they do! It's not a problem. Like I said in the first post, if anyone has noticed (and I'm sure that they have), they've not said anything to me, and the world in general doesn't seem to have changed very much as a result of me wearing heels. My own little piece of the world is a bit happier and a bit more relaxed though. So not a bad result. Take your heels, and wear them with confidence. Enjoy the feeling. And let us all know how it goes. H

Heelson, Very interesting. A while back, I went out to dinner with my wife's older sister just so I could wear my pumps out in public (it was the first and last time I wore thin heels in public). Anyway, the entire time eatting and in the resturant and even to/from the car, I was fine because I wasn't nervous or even thinking about how awkward it was. I even went to the men's room wearing them and was fine. The ONLY time I felt odd and got a strange look was coming back to the hotel and I stopped in a 711. It was quiet except for me and another car. I started feeling nervous and probably walked with less confidence. A girl in the passanger seat in the car next to me looked my way and I could see her pointing and laughing. My confidence was shot and I proceeded to walk quickly and less confindent into the 711, got what I wanted, paid and quickly got to my car. She was still there and proceeded to laugh and point more as I made my way to the car. So your right, the time I was confident I was fine, when I lost the confidence, I had major problems. Scotty

sscotty727, Certainly an unnerving experience at the 711. It is certainly the case that the more people there are around, the less you stand out from the crowd and so you can go about your business without feeling self-concious about your appearance. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

sscotty727 -

Stilettos require practice, practice, and more practice until you can walk absolutely confidently in them. Once you can, it won’t shake you that someone notices them and has a laugh at your expense. I’m sure the girl in the car picked up on you being uncomfortable and that feedback just emboldened her to try to make you more uncomfortable.

It sounded like you had an enjoyable dinner in your heels. If you did, and you enjoy the look you present, go for it. Don’t let a giggling girl put you off.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

TBG, It wasn't that I wasn't able to walk well in them, I was wearing them in the hotel room from the second I would get in in the evenings, sleeping in them, only to take them off just as I was getting ready to leave the room. I also didn't sit in them, I would walk back and forth in the room in them (fyi, I was staying in a Suite with a full kitchen, living room, bedroom, so I had room to walk around). Anyway, what shook me I think was the fact that it was alot more quiet (711 in the very late evening) and only me and the other car there. You could hear every step I took and with nothing else to look at, I was probably the main target. Earlier at the resturant, the parking lot was full, the place had a bar so music/talking dround out the heel sound, plus I was with my sister-in-law who knew what I was wearing and was fine with it. As far as wearing Stilletos in public again, I might sometime, but I am happy wearing block heels/wedge heels for various reasons (mostly work/family). The important thing is I DO actually wear heels on a daily basis no matter where I go. Even wore my wedge heels to the dr's office the last time I went:) Scotty

Congrats, Heelson on going out and about in your heels. Sounds like you had a great time. I really think that this forum is having a great impact on those that love to wear heels, but not in public. The stories here about people heeling for the first time are coming with ever increasing frequency. It's a great thing to see.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

All Sorry for the delay in replying but for some strange technical reason I can't log in from my desktop PC and can only sign in from my laptop??!! Replies to the various comments; sscotty727: I think your story is a strong recommendation for going out somewhere busy with more people around. Idiots like the one that you encountered tend to be a lot less brave when there are more people around ... they don't have the self-confidence to draw attention to themselves in a group of people (in case the group tell them to STFU). IT would have been interesting to see her reaction if you'd starting pointing and laughing at her ... my money says that she'd have shut up very quickly. You obviously have the confidence anyway ... I wouldn't wear my heels anyplace that I might bump into someone who knew me. Shafted: Well, I have a lot to thank the rest of the guys on this board for. I actually don't think it's "strange" anymore ... which goes a long way to giving me the confidence to just wear heels. So I'm wearing heels, so what. And I guess that the more people who start to share the belief that it's not strange, then the more people (male) will be out there wearing in heels ... the more that they'll (we'll) be seen ... and the less unusual it will become. Or am I just dreaming there? Secreto: As above, I can strongly recommend Kings Road. I guess Oxford St would be similar - way too may people around to notice anything at all! BTW: very neat boots - I'd not seen Shalimar Shoes before, but they're now on my "favourites" list. What's the quality / fit / sizing like? DawnHH: Thanks for being so supportive of everyone, and taking the time to post so many replies! H

Secreto, I'm of the same opinion, so its off upto Regents street and Oxford street on Wednesday to do my Christmas shopping. Will be wearing the shoes in my avatar with fresh heel tips. I expect I will have worn them down to the pin by the end of the day - again! Damn things just don't last, well on tarmac pavements (sidewalks) that is. This seems to wear them out rapidly. Maybe the paving stones in London will be kinder in them. BTW, if anyone is up in town on Wednesday and would like to meet up for lunch or whatever, drop me a PM. Heel shopping is not on the adgenda though. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Heelson, You are probably right. I should have smiled, looked right at her and lifted my pants and then winked. Wonder what she would have done then? Of course her BF just went into the store, so it could have created a riff if he thought I was hitting on her or something. Anyway, I was working away from my area so needless to say, I didn't really know anyone there. Not so sure I would be so brave in my own local area. Actually, I used to wear them out of the car on the way home when I got gas. I used to pick this one station that had many rows of single pumps (well, a pump on each side) but then there would be no one behind or in front of me, just at the sides. The sides would be blocked by either the gas pump or the car. Anyway, this one time the one I normally went to was over crowded so I couldn't get it and went to another gas station. The one I went to had two pumps in line, so I pulled up to the front pump, got out and proceeded to pump the gas. Looking down, I noticed the pants I was wearing wasn't as long as I expected (you could pretty much see the entire shoe!) and in the pump behind me this elderly couple pullled in. They even asked me something to which I quickly answered, finished and jumped back in the car. I don't think they even noticed, but I was too embarred at the time (also, it was a few blocks from my house). Anyway, I wear wedge heels and block heels ALL the time (I wear the ones in my avatar to work, got them on now). I know my co-workers can see the shoe but they have never said a word nor treat me in a non-respectful manner (well, we joke and tease, but I work with all guys and we tend to do that). Never been teased about my shoes nor have they even brought it up at all. Nice job on getting out on your own, you are cetainly more brave than me. I am still trying to talk the wife into wearing matching pumps (courts) to a movie one of these evenings. Plus if they hear clicking, everyone will assume it is just her;) Scotty

Scotty, To be truthful, most people won't notice what you're wearing. Just wear what you want, wether it's the chunky heels that you normally wear or stilettos. Most people just really don't care. And if they do notice, most of the time they won't say anything. I've found that for the most part, people respect others that are willing to think out of the box, as long as they project confidence. Hate to sound like I'm pushing, but it's the truth. But all in all, do what you are comfortable with. This is the important thing. As far as the girl in the car, just flaunt the fact that your wearing heels. You probably can wear higher heels than she can anyways. Even for whatever reason you don't have the confidence, act like you do. It can have an amzing effect.