Invasion of the Uggs!

JeffB

We had some snow in my neck of the woods on Friday, prompting no fewer than three of my co-workers to show up at the office wearing the ever dreaded Ugg boots. AAIIEEEEE!!! They were all younger workers as I'm sure none of the more mature ladies would be caught dead wearing those things. One wore black, another tan and the third----lilac! Oh, the humanity!!!!

:D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Besides being UGGly, since they're supposed to be fashionable, women tend to wear them all day. And, being suede they end up dirty and even less attractive after a couple weeks. For truly bad weather I'd rather they wear something like the below, and change into some nice indoor heels when they arrive at the office.

Posted Image

(These are men's and I own a pair! They're great for tramping about the woods on a snowy day like today.)

I saw a woman today on Broadway outside of Barnes and Noble wearing what I used to wear when I was ten.

Moon boots!

She must have been in her 30's.

But then I held myself back.

"By what standard can I fairly judge her if I don't want others juding me for wearing heels? If thats what makes her happy, then all the power to her."

Lots of uggs here in the city too. But alot of women are tucking their knee high boots into jeans in response to the cold weather.

JeffB--when are you coming up to nyc? Im sure you could make arrangements out of Philly with a train and find cheap accomodations in the city. We could rally the troops here (pam, crotchiboots, me, gary0618, and possibly a few others and have a heel meet).

Come on, you can't say no forever Jeff! :D

p.s. Philadelphia's 30th Street Station (30th and Market streets) is a major stop on the Amtrak (PHONE: 215/824-1600 or 800/872-7245, www.amtrak.com) Northeast Corridor line. The 90-minute Philadelphia to New York trip is $49 one-way.

So that would be $98 for the train, or you could drive to Jersey and park your car somewhere safe in Jersey City (and avoid the traffic) and take the Jersey Path train from Jersey City to Manhattan.

p.s.s. You can also travel by train between Philadelphia and New York City on the cheap by taking the SEPTA (PHONE: 215/580-7800, www.septa.org) commuter line R7 to Trenton, New Jersey.

There, transfer to a New Jersey Transit (PHONE: 215/569-3752, www.njtransit.state.nj.us) commuter line to Manhattan. Ask for the excursion rate. The trip takes an extra 30 minutes, but costs about $12.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Yes, yes, yes, the Uggs are in full effect. I went to a nice club out here, there was an absence of Uggs entirely except for one or two girls. Mostly boots, with a pair of pumps here and there. It's a nice change from being around campus all day, where Uggs reign supreme as girls try to navigate thru snow to class. Though I'll NEVER sell my soul for some Uggs or anything familiar, I can't say I'm not intrigued to go see what the hype is... I hear payless carries a knockoff

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Jeff doesn't like Uggs. Although practical, Uggs are not the most aesthetically pleasing winter footwear.

Question for Jeff. What do you think would be a better alternative shoe or boot for winter conditions?

Well, for pratical wearing in winter conditions, I'd go for Timberland boots, the plain kind, mind you, not the spiked heeled J.Lo variant. As for Moon Boots, they certainly have their uses when the goal is warmth and waterproof protection over style. Can't argue that, not at this time of year. But Uggs? ICK!!!

To Kneehighs: I do know how to get to NYC, and I've done so on more than a few occasions. It's not like I can so "no" forever, but family obligations keep me busy on weekends when I'm not working on weekdays, but I hope to make it up there eventually.

While I certainly agree Uggs are just that UGGLY, I gotta say the real uggs (not Knock-offs) do keep feet warm and dry...... My daughters friends have knock-offs that after 3 weeks are comming apart at the seams. I also agree that they should be removed indoors for more sensable shoes (5"heels) Stan

To Kneehighs: I do know how to get to NYC, and I've done so on more than a few occasions. It's not like I can so "no" forever, but family obligations keep me busy on weekends when I'm not working on weekdays, but I hope to make it up there eventually.

I figured you would already know how to get here, just trying to be of service with some info from the New York Times I recently read.

If iron sharpens iron and one man sharpens another, then we may very well have the entire city of new york in heels after you leave. I respect your personal obligations as I have my own to cater to as well.

When you do come around to making it to nyc, please let me know. When like minds meet, who knows what can be achieved? Maybe Edison, Ford, or Firestone's memoirs could tell us.

Anyhow, I hope in my eagerness to meet you, i didn't become over eager and offend. If I did, please accept my apologies.

Maybe Uggs do have a place for trudging through snow, but for day to day use? Not!

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Anyhow, I hope in my eagerness to meet you, i didn't become over eager and offend. If I did, please accept my apologies.

No, no! Not at all! I do hope I can make it up to NYC and meet with you one of the these days. I'm sure we'd have a darn good time!

In the meantime, I didn't see any Uggs on Sunday, but I spent most of the day inside watching football. But it's back to work today, so who knows what I'll see on the streets!

:wink:

Uggg! I was at a party one block from the high rise Howard Stern lives in (near Lincoln Center) and the first girl that came to the door was drop dead gorgeous. She was wearing a black halter neck dress, long blonde hair curled and very sexy, a scent that would make any man lust all night long, and she just looked extremely hot. Every cell in my body was sizzling. Then when I looked at her shoes, she was she was she was wearing UGGS. then the first thing she said ,"Im not wearing my heels, but these are keeping me warm." sigh...as long as she was comfortable, then I'm cool with it. But the UGGS didn't even match her outfit.

Seems the ugglys are not so insight here anymore, instead we see a lot of flat-short boots (like ugg's) with a lot of big fur on them. They look better then the ugglys, but still suck big time. These boots are known as 'Mukluks'.

My username changes every now and then on here. God knows why.

I was at Payless the other day picking up some guy shoes, and I overheard a guy talking to his girlfriend about these gastly boots they had hanging up. She liked them and said they look like Uggs, her boyfriend said "These are worse than Uggs! I really wish you'd stop wearing those f*cking things." I just thought to myself "Thank you!" So, not only us heel wearers think this :D. Oh yeah, that same day I saw a woman dressed very professionally, kinda that sexy secretary look. I mean, she was hot. I was curious to see what heels she was wearing with this outfit, and low and behold, it was Ugg boots. I went limp in every sense.

getting around in chicago a bit, i've seen my quota of sharply dressed women untriumphantly wearing UGGs. the shoe salesman in me wants to just come out on the spot and help these poor ladies out...

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde