Slides vs. Mules

Spikes

I imagine that this question has been answered before, but today i was oogling over some fabulous 3.5 inch holiday party slides in a department store circular and it struck me, what is the difference between slides and mules? Are they one in the same or is there something that makes a slide different from a mule?

Looking to share my fetish with like-minded individuals. I love to wear classic opera pumps in public with 4-5 inch stiletto heels.

Slides are the American name and Mules the British/European term. Generally as Docs41 says slides do tend to be open toed but both styles are usually called Mules in the UK. Also, I have seen open toe mules called clogs. This is WRONG as a clog always has a wooden sole, closed toe and isn't always backless and could even be a boot.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Open toe and back shoes that don't have a wedge heel, I've always called slides. the shoes in docs41's avatar is an example. if it's a low flat heel i just simply call it a sandal. If the front is closed and has a low or mid height heel, I'll call it a mule. some of the first women's shoes I remember wearing were a pair of dark green mules with about a 2 inch heel that I absolutely ADORED. wooden bottom, closed off = clogs, I've never worn a pair of clogs =/

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde