Share your best Freestyle Fashion pictures here.

kneehighs

On 10/7/2015 at 5:17 AM, ANDROgenius said:

Hi folks,

as autumn has arrived here in Germany, I just wanted to share my look for today. A simple booties, skinny pants, long shirt, coat & scarf all in black look. 

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Love the booties with the coated skinny jeans only shoes that work.. Nice job it works well together not noticeable only because everything works together.

What booties are they?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2015 at 11:26 PM, freestyle75 said:

Ok guys... long time no new Freestyle pictures. I setup my photo home studio, consisting of two flashes + photo umbrellas on light tripods, my trusted Nikon D3 with remote flash commander and connected it to my Mac for tethered, self-timer shooting. The reason why I did these photos was because I am currently having a conversation with one of the forum's members on a jacket by Burberry I just bought, and which I am not too sure about. I like the material and details (it really feels nice and is made extremely well), but due to its peplum cut, it makes one appear much broader than usual. So I am torn whether I should keep it, although I like it quite a lot. It just doesn't seem to fit to the rest of what I am wearing.

As I had setup all that equipment, I thought: Why not do a couple of more pics? So, here they are. First the ones without the Burberry jacket, then the ones with it. I would really appreciate your comments, especially on that jacket.

First outfit: Inspred by Olivia Palermo. I am like the fat version of her, plus I just realized that the coated trousers I am wearing are quite a lot darker bordeaux red than hers.

01_fell_zpsmhe8uab7.jpg

Real rabbit fur vest by Sly 010, sweater by s.Oliver, trousers by s.Oliver, boots by Giampaolo Viozzi.

Outfit No. 2:

02_rock_zpsmsippjtz.jpg

Blouse by Esprit, Skirt by Dorothea Schumacher, leggings by Isabel Marant, Boots by Ch. Louboutin.

Outfit No. 3: How to wear a patent skirt halfway gracefully as a guy:

06_mini_zpsnxhumxwd.jpg

Striped sweater by Stefanel, skirt by Hallhuber, Leggings still by Isabel Marant, suede boots by Michael Kors. Idea: Offsetting the sexed-up patent leather skirt by natural materials. Don't go too high with the boots, and try to avoid knee-high or even overknee boots. Unless you are earning money with it, then it's ok ;)

Outfit No. 4: How a typical winter outfit could look like.

08_daunenjacke_zps3nnuby7o.jpg

Down jacket by Esprit (altered in the bust area by my tailor), turtleneck by s.Oliver, Satin-Skirt by Hallhuber, leggings by Isabel Marant, Boots by A.F. Vandevorst.

Now to the pictures with the Burberry jacket.

Outfit No. 5: Combining a skirt

03_burberry_rock_zpsycxxss7g.jpg

Jacket by Burberry, Turtleneck by s.Oliver, Skirt by Asos, Leggings by Isabel Marant, boots by Ch. Louboutin.

Outfit No. 6: Jeans.

04_jeans_zpssuogauit.jpg

Turtleneck by s.Oliver, Jeans by Tommy Hilfiger, booties by Prada.

Outfit No. 7: Glamour

05_satinhose_zpsnzcgiqd3.jpg

Satin blouse by Darling Harbor, Trousers by Paco Rabanne, booties (not visible) by Zara.

So... what do you think?

Absolutely love outfits 2, 3 and 5 :wink: fabulous skirts. I wish I could pull off that look. Just a simple grey pencil skirt and black tights today (just took my heels off) Not weather for going out as it's wet.

1451070888029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@hernaezjames Nice outfit :thumbsup:. I like that the shirt is a bit longer, which works great with tight jeans. You might want to consider to get it shortened though, while keeping the original hemline. Just one thing: On your 3rd and 4th picture, you are using your heel to sort of "lock" into an easy position using the metal bar. I did the same a couple of times which leads to scratch marks on the sole of the shoes (which is okay if you don't mind, but I only realized when I looked at the sole of my $$$ pairs of shoes. Since then I try to avoid using that "parking position").

Soooo.... the big question is: did you go out in that outfit? :cheeky:

---

Personally, I went out in a skirted outfit today to get a haircut at a big mall nearby. I really liked a skirt by the designer J.W. Anderson, which was very expensive and sold out everywhere - but which had a very simple design. Just before Christmas, I found a fabric store that had exactly the same material available (gray scuba jersey), so I sewed a copy of that skirt. As I don't have a model/skinny waist, the skirt doesn't "flare out" as much as the original, but the material is quite fluid and moves beautifully. After I had completed the skirt this week, I really wanted to take it for a "spin" this weekend. Question - as always - what shoes or boots go with this?

I tried several options. Biker boots, chunky Chelsea boots, wedges, ... and finally my cheapest pair of boots, the velvet (fabric) overknees with chunky heel from the fall/winter collection of H&M. Never wore them so far. When I put them on and had to pull on the material, I heard a light ripping noise, as if a seam was coming apart. Not good. Checked the boots, nothing visible. I don't know how you put on "pull on boots" without "pulling", so they will probably only last a few "wears"... :boo:

Here's are the outfit's parts:

jwa_01_zpscnnf93kd.jpg

Turtleneck shirt: s.Oliver (German brand), skirt: DIY, leggings: Isabel Marant, Bag: Proenza Schouler, Boots: H&M

jwa_02_zpsw50jqnsn.jpg

Don't ask me why, but for some odd reason, the shirt appears to be dark blue on that picture (or I need to get my eyes checked). In reality, it is black - just FYI.

With that outfit, I went to the local mall, parked my car, drove down the elevater from the park deck to the first floor, walked across the whole mall to the haircutter and got my hair cut. After that, I checked prices of stuff in an electronics store (online - as always - much cheaper), did some window browsing, ate something for lunch, and headed back to my car. Quite a few stares, mostly from men and very old people (60+). No one said anything. The girls at the haircutter already know my freestyle outfits, so they don't blink an eye when I visit them.

The outfit also works with sneakers + tights if you don't want to go for heeled boots. I even contemplated wearing sneakers today (I don't always wear heels), but with their coloring, they distracted too much from the skirt IMHO. I liked the black boots better, and also liked that they were high enough so you don't see where they end (under the skirt). 

I think the outfit looks great (almost) but (and I don't believe I'm writing this) I don't like the boots.  For my taste the heel is just too chunky on a thigh boot.   I'd rather see a flat heel or narrow high heel then the chunky one.

1 hour ago, freestyle75 said:

I don't know how you put on "pull on boots" without "pulling"

I do it by partially turning the shaft inside out, sliding the top down to the ankle, and then repeat the process pulling the now top of the shaft down to the ankle.  After sliding the boot on I then unfold the shaft up my leg and, with a little pull, everything is in place.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I'm bothered by the horizontal stripes of the shirt not flowing with the vertical folds of the skirt. The juxtaposition hurts my eyes. I like both pieces but not together. I would suggest a simpler skirt or pants (solid, no pattern), or solid color top. The boots bother me less, but because they are chunky and informal, I don't like them paired with a more formal skirt. I would rather see different boots or see you in pants/jeans.

That's my 2 cents but the only thing that's really important is that the wearer likes the outfit, it's comfortable, and he's confident.

Steve

hernaezjames: That's a nice and casual outfit. What brand of pumps were you wearing?

freestyle75: Cool skirt there! I'm not much for stripes, but that top worked with your skirt. Like Thighbootguy, the clunky heels on your boots didn't move the needle for me, but hey, as long as you enjoyed being in your outfit, that's the important thing.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hi everyone,

thanks for all of your replies. I also like the critiques very much, as only by these comments it is possible to improve.

First of all, I have to state one thing about the skirt: Due to the material (scuba, similar to neoprene), it is not formal at all, but rather casual. It might look formal on the photo (as you cannot really judge the material from the photo), but this is not the average office skirt with pleats - which is also what I like about it.

@Thighbootguy: I only have very few pairs of thigh-high boots (that's your domain :cheeky:), so I had tried two knee-high boots, both of which I didn't like in that combination. As the skirt itself is quite casual and also "young" (meaning that you would see skirts like these normally on Asos or similar sites), I wanted to pair something with it that would also underline the sort of "youthfulness". Hence the chunky heels. An alternative would have been ankle boots with a (less) chunky heel, but then again, I had never worn the overknees, and in front of the mirror they looked great in that combination. But I get your point.

@Steve63130: I have never thought about this, but I get your point. To be honest, the sweater was sort of a compromise. The original outfit combination uses a sweater which is similar to what you describe with the skirt: It's not striped, but solid color blocks. I tried to get this sweater - not available in my size. So I tried multiple sweaters in my stock before reaching the final striped one:

sweaters_zpsh6kko5kz.jpg

What bothered me most was that most of my sweaters (even the ones from the female department) were just too long. Even rolling the hem inside to visually shorten the sweaters didn't work, as (when you moved) they would "unroll" and extend to the original length again. That's why I finally settled with the striped turtleneck, which is fitted (great), length-wise ok (could be shorter) and from the stripe perspective didn't bother me.

The ideal sweater however would be the original one. As I still do have scuba material, I intend to sew my own one and put my name on it using embroidery. Picture on the left: original, picture on the right: visualization of how my own sweater will look like (probably the seamlines between the gray and black area will just be straight instead of slightly bent, as this would require changing the sewing pattern, and most sewing patterns just use a straight raglan sleeve seamline):

sweater_zpshjveg8cl.jpg

I won't be able to do the white neckline (don't have fabric for that), but the scuba jersey is black on the inside and gray on the outside, so it should be possible to create this sweater. Now I only have to find a sewing pattern for raglan sweaters...

@JeffB: LOL... okay, the chunky boots are now crossed off my list to combine with that skirt... :happy:

1 hour ago, freestyle75 said:

I wanted to pair something with it that would also underline the sort of "youthfulness"

I am NOT a fashion authority and have often commented that I really don't understand "fashion" so take this with that caveat.  I read the boots with chunky heels as more masculine than feminine youthful.  Try pairing them with something other than a skirt.  (Skinny jeans and the sweater (#2 above) with the hoodie.)

By the way, the graphics you are treating us to are great.  I really appreciate the effort involved in generating those images.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

28 minutes ago, Thighbootguy said:

By the way, the graphics you are treating us to are great.  I really appreciate the effort involved in generating those images.

Thanks! I had setup my "studio in a box" as I call it (if you fold everything together, it requires less space than you would usually find in a typical movers box) to take snapshots of my clothes, as I only have photos of about 50% of the pieces I own. Once I do have a full catalogue, it helps me to put together outfits much quicker - plus I don't forget about items that might be stored in a box...

shooting_zps8ojxlsro.jpg

Typical home studio setup: Old & reliable work horse Nikon D3 + 85 mm/1.4 + SU 800 remote flash commander, Manfrotto 141RC / 055 tripod, connected to Macbook with Lightroom for tethered shooting. I am using an app under MacOS that also allows timer-shooting, so I can do the selfies of me that I post here. The other cable is the power supply for the camera, as shooting for hours otherwise drains the battery. Proxistar photo background fabric + two tripods to hold it. Manfrotto 5001B Nano black light stand (foldable to very small size) + clamps + Nikon SB800 and SB 900 flashes fired remotely. Flash umbrellas by Westcott, collapsible to super small pack size.

And for those who wonder what's standing left of the background drop, that's a waterrower which I use way too rarely (can be stored upright).

• Like 2

Wow, that's a serious photo studio! I agree with TBG (as I usually do) that we appreciate the effort that went into showing us your outfit images. My comment on the skirt is that it's not so much the material that makes it formal looking but the pleats. That's not a ratty old garment you bum around in. It looks really nice.

Steve

That's an impressive studio you have there, freestyle. My setup, if you can call it that, is a 14 year old Canon point and shoot with a ten second timer on a thirty dollar tripod in my dining room. No wonder you've turned out such good pictures.

@freestyle75 thanks :) i will try get pants shortened soon. I would yes that i did went out with that outfit but it was just a short trip out. 

@JeffB pumps are from mango. Fell in love with the first time i saw it since it was very similar with CL so kate pumps with a bit less heel height.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, hernaezjames said:

Sharing my oufit :)

Sorry for the poor photos, i wish i have a full lenght mirror to take a good shot.

20160108_223513.jpg

20160108_223547.jpg

20160108_223223.jpg

20160108_223242.jpg

20160108_223302.jpg

20160108_223337.jpg

20160108_223322.jpg

Fab pics!!! Those gorgeous shoes look great with those jeans!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just browsed back to my posting from January 10th, where I did show you a pleated skirt that I had sewn, but was a bit lost as to which top to combine with it. The designer combined this skirt together with a cropped raglan sweater, which I liked very much... so I made one. I even ordered white cotton collar rib fabric, so I could copy the original down to that detail. How long did it take to work on this? Probably around 20 hours or so. The embroidery took the longest with around 3 hours to complete, as I switched my sewing machine to slow mode - the slower it makes the stitches, the better the quality of the result. I used a download pattern, which did not fit at first, so I made some changes to it, which took most of the time. As this is also the first time I am using a collar rib fabric that I sewed with my serger, this also took a little longer than just sewing it on (youtube was very helpful in DIY-videos on sewing collars). Well... I don't want to bother you with all the sewing stuff.

Anyway... I now have a 100% fitting sweater for that pleated skirt. Here are some pics that I just took with my iPhone & selfie-stick, as I just finished the sweater.

sweater_comparison_zpssiyefx8o.jpg

Left: original (knitted fabric), Middle: How I envisioned it how It could look like using the materials I had at home at that time, Right: Final sweater on me, not exactly a photo model, but hey... ;)

IMG_1549_zpsbg50vgvh.jpg

And here a bigger picture of the sweater. The original pattern is almost square / rectangular, so I took in the sides of the fabric a little, so it looks a little more fitted. The fabric itself is the same as the skirt, Scuba Jersey.

As I just finished it, I haven't had a chance to wear it. But I intend to do so next weekend!

• Like 2

On 1/31/2016 at 4:23 PM, freestyle75 said:

Hi everyone,

I just browsed back to my posting from January 10th, where I did show you a pleated skirt that I had sewn, but was a bit lost as to which top to combine with it. The designer combined this skirt together with a cropped raglan sweater, which I liked very much... so I made one. I even ordered white cotton collar rib fabric, so I could copy the original down to that detail. How long did it take to work on this? Probably around 20 hours or so. The embroidery took the longest with around 3 hours to complete, as I switched my sewing machine to slow mode - the slower it makes the stitches, the better the quality of the result. I used a download pattern, which did not fit at first, so I made some changes to it, which took most of the time. As this is also the first time I am using a collar rib fabric that I sewed with my serger, this also took a little longer than just sewing it on (youtube was very helpful in DIY-videos on sewing collars). Well... I don't want to bother you with all the sewing stuff.

Anyway... I now have a 100% fitting sweater for that pleated skirt. Here are some pics that I just took with my iPhone & selfie-stick, as I just finished the sweater.

sweater_comparison_zpssiyefx8o.jpg

Left: original (knitted fabric), Middle: How I envisioned it how It could look like using the materials I had at home at that time, Right: Final sweater on me, not exactly a photo model, but hey... ;)

IMG_1549_zpsbg50vgvh.jpg

And here a bigger picture of the sweater. The original pattern is almost square / rectangular, so I took in the sides of the fabric a little, so it looks a little more fitted. The fabric itself is the same as the skirt, Scuba Jersey.

As I just finished it, I haven't had a chance to wear it. But I intend to do so next weekend!

Wow.  That's quite an accomplishment considering all the time it took to finish.  Looks good!

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Schnubab said:

Playing around trying to find something I like with my first ever pair of booties:oops:

f2.thumb.jpg.849a62d0ae04c7adad52e773d42

Not a bad first choice in booties.  Consider wearing boot cut jeans that don't have a rolled up cuff.  The rolled up cuff, being a lighter color, gives a lot of contrast and contrast is eye catching.  However, the skinny jeans do show off the booties so what happens if you wear the booties over the jeans (no cuff)?

Hey TBG, the jeans are a little thick around my ankles so I wanted to avoid tucking them in as they appeared almost 'forced' in, but I do want to try it with a better fitting pair of jeans.

Peter1, they are a pair of Steve Madden Akademi booties.

'

5 hours ago, Schnubab said:

Hey TBG, the jeans are a little thick around my ankles so I wanted to avoid tucking them in as they appeared almost 'forced' in, but I do want to try it with a better fitting pair of jeans.

Peter1, they are a pair of Steve Madden Akademi booties.

'

Were those men's jeans you wore in that picture? Perhaps you might consider women's jeans instead as they would give you a slimmer, sleeker profile to pair with your booties.

16 hours ago, JeffB said:

Were those men's jeans you wore in that picture? Perhaps you might consider women's jeans instead as they would give you a slimmer, sleeker profile to pair with your booties.

Hiya JeffB, there were a pair of men's slim fit jeans. I do have a few skinny women's jeans but I again struggle with them not being a tight fit around my ankles :(

Hiya JeffB, there were a pair of men's slim fit jeans. I do have a few skinny women's jeans but I again struggle with them not being a tight fit around my ankles :(

@Schnubab

Consider "denim tights leggings" (google that for sources).  I wear these all the time.  They look like jeans but are really tights with images of pockets and distresses denim printed on the tights.  They are super comfortable and really are skin tight.

GEDC0195.jpg.a94d2ca16de6828fd8ce95e2b5f

• 1 month later...

Well... long time no posting in this thread... so I thought I should shoot a few more photos. Again I set up my home studio, this time not paying too much attention to the lighting, so some of the pictures are a bit "too warm" from a colour temperature perspective. Hope you don't mind.

Outfit #1: Cashmere trench and Marlene trousers

The winter season is almost done, temperatures are already in the 60s (F) range here - still I wanted to share two outfits that I like very much. Unfortunately it is getting too warm to wear them. Outfit number one is my favorite petrol coloured trench.

burberry_petrol_zpsth5kvusy.jpg

Burberry Sandringam Cashmere trenchcoat (same as worn by Jennifer Lawrence. I got it first though :) ). Gray turtleneck by some mail order company, marlene trousers by German company Hallhuber, booties by Prada, bag "PS13" by Proenza Schouler.

Outfit #2: Same as no. 1, but with an offwhite-coat, also by Burberry. Got it during winter sale.

Normally I would wear that coat with a matching scarf, but it was too warm during the photo shooting to put that on as well ;)

burberry_white_zpsarsqysdg.jpg

Outfit #3: Biker.

I have always tried to incorporate some sort of biker jacket in one of my outfits (as they say, every fashionista should own a biker jacket), but it just doesn't look that cool to me. At least in plain leather - I've ordered a similar jacket by Balenciaga in suede which should arrive next week - I am curious whether that looks better. In addition, in the righthand picture it looks like I am pregnant or got a big beer gut, neither of which I have. Still I should lose some weight when I see these two pictures :(

biker_look_zpslstgzdi8.jpg

Biker jacket by "Be Edgy" (Zalando), T-Shirt by Karl Lagerfeld, Jeans by Dr. Denim, Booties by Yves Saint Laurent (again, a winter sale item :D ).

Outfit #4: My take on the 70s for a summer outfit. Probably not even really close to the 70s, but how I would imagine something refined with flared jeans.

flared_white_zpsuo4qpynj.jpg

Blouse by Burberry (doesn't have any bust darts, so it works for men), flared jeans by s.Oliver, sandals by Gianvito Rossi (summer season 2016), bag "PS1" by Proenza Schouler.

Outfit #5: Flared leather pants as an evening combo

If you remember "Men in Black II", there was this evil alien (Serleena) that dressed up in a hot leather outfit. In that movie, she was wearing flared leather trousers, which I have been looking for ever since. This summer, Danish designer Malene Birger had flared leather trousers in her collection, so I had to buy them.

malene_birger_zpslk4lbq3u.jpg

Flared leather pants by Malene Birger, Blouse from Diane von Fürstenberg (again, no bust darts), suede platform boots by Vicini (the highest ones I got - I am still considering whether I should shorten the trousers just a little, would be more versatile), "M" leather clutch made by myself.

So... what do you think? :cool:

• Like 5