Adding a strap to shoes

Hi All, As you know, I've added inserts to my wedge shoes (the one in my avatar is an example). The problem is that while I've been able to increase the height with success, I've also decreased the amount of shoe holding the back of my heel into the shoe. That is all well and fine, except I was wondering if it would be possible to maybe get some leather and glue it to the inside of the back heel and perhaps add a strap to the shoe. I am not real concerned about the looks as it would be under my pant leg. Has anyone done this before? Thanks, Scotty

Easily done but I suggest getting a shoe repairer to stitch it in if you can't do it yourself. Or even a piece of elastic across the instep.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

have you thought about using a "D" shape strap with a buckle on the small ends and a hole for the heel to pass through?. Wear it like an ankle strap, unseen under jeans ect., yet easily removed or used with more than one pair.

totter along into history

That is a good idea for pumps or shoes with a heel. The ones I am talking about are wedges.

Here is some pics of the shoes so you can see how the the inserts have modified the height.

The first pic is a side view. You can see the original heel. My finger is pointing to where the heel is now.

Posted Image

Here are two shots looking into the shoe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, you can see the shoes on my feet. Again, I am pointing to where my heel is.

Posted Image

As you can see, I am able to wear them very comfortably, however, I think having a strap would help hold my foot in better. They stay in pretty well as it is since the front has elastic bands, but for added security, I would like to add a strap.

Scotty

did you take another wedge sole and glue it to your shoe? (or how did you make it) a shoe fitters trick is to pull the insole (or socklining) up from the insole of your shoe, and find a cork or foam rubber "jimmie" that are usually found at shoe stores or shoe repair shops. (*don't glue it yet,*) just slide it under the socklining if you can, or just slide it into the shoe, and see if there is some resistance and the heel feels tighter, because it keeps your foot from sliding down into the shoe. (a thick piece of leather could also do the trick, but cork conforms to your foot better.) There are different thickness of the cork jimmies, also, so you might beg, borrow, or buy more than one pair....The reason we so don't glue it first, is the fact it is hard to dig that cork out again, if it doesn't work. One trick is to glue the cork jimmie to the insole while you have it out, then just slide the insole/socklining into the shoe. That way if it doesn't do the job, you can pull the cork jimmie off the insole better, ( or scrape it off easier) (another quick trick is a tongue pad just out of view under the front part of the shoe where shoe laces usually are.) about elastic straps, you can find Covered Gathered Elastic in many colors. I use that for quick fixes for the ladies who might have real small feet, and have to buy the wrong size larger to get the shoe they like. I can just sew it straight across like a tap dancers shoe, and many times it works, especially if the customer only needs the shoe for one occasion like a wedding, party, etc. If you need a buckle, then I have to do more fittings with the customer to to get the right angle, or length of elastic for the buckle, or length of strap. I always have the customer try the strap on before I punch the holes in the strap for the customer, and then finish the strapping. (measure twice, cut once!)

Hi Gene,

Posted this in another thread:

I have a solution that works pretty well. I've been tinkering with ways to add "height" and I think I have finally came up with something easy that works well.

Basically I got a woman's Triad insert (or something like it). I find the women's work best then the men's since the men's are bulkier and add more lift to the front of the foot, which is what you DON'T want.

Posted Image

Anyway, next I got a solid gel insert for just the heel (get one that has a little thickness and is solid, not real squishy). I can't find a pic of one online, but if you look most drug stores will carry both.

I then used SuperGlue to attach the gel insert to the back of the Triad insert (the triad will go on top). You can then put this into your shoe, and depending on how snug it fits, you can add some tape underneath (i found either double stick or duct tape work well) to hold it in place (if you use duct, do the trick of twisting it to make "double sided" tape"). Anyway, this won't give you a real high lift, but since it does add a little PLUS changes the arch of the fit, you do get a sensation of a higher heel and alot more comfort.

PM me if you have any other questions or need more details. I can try to take some pics later when I get a chance.

Scotty

------------------------------

Ok, here are a few pics.

First of all, here is how the shoe fits BEFORE the insert (I am pointing to where my heel is).

Posted Image

Here is the normal Triad insert with no modifications.

Posted Image

Here is a modified Triad insert with the Gel Heel glued on it.

Posted Image

The shoe with the modified insert placed inside.

Posted Image

And finally, you can see how the shoe fits with the new insert (I am pointing to where my heel is now).

Posted Image

-------------------------------

For the shoes in the avatar, I just added a few more Gel Heels in a row to give me more height.

Scotty

Superglue might do the trick but make sure it is totally dry before wearing them. Also beware that the heat and sweat from your foot could affect the adhesion though I doubt it.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Superglue might do the trick but make sure it is totally dry before wearing them. Also beware that the heat and sweat from your foot could affect the adhesion though I doubt it.

I will look into it and let you know what happens. Actually, I think I will use a wide piece of leather as the back part of the shoe is becomming weak since my foot now hits it alot. The wide leather will hopefully hold my foot inside the shoe so I stop stepping on the outter rim.

Scotty, another idea for the back piece is to glue a piece of leather in with the rough side out(against your heel). that will grab your heel better. You will have to rough up the smooth side enough so the glue will stick better. Don't use Super glue kinds for gluing in the back heel leather. Find a glue at the hardware store that is compatible for flexible objects. Barge Cement is a common over the counter glue... If you are still experimenting, use a household Rubber Cement, that way you can reposition the leather. Also some of those 3M spray adhesives that you can reposition items, but it isn't as heavy duty , unless you are going to reglue again. I just got an email from a company that makes heel adjustment pieces up to 2 inches! I will find out more, as soon as they send me a sample, they come in half inch increments Good luck

Hart88,

Actually, did some experimenting over the weekend and found something that worked out even better and won't need the strap.

I have this wooden insert I made a while ago (bought an oval disk from the hobby store a while ago, it's about an inch thick. Cut it in half and then carved/filed it until it fit in the shoes and had a nice angle on it). I've never been able to find a shoe/fit to make it work completely, so pushed it off for over the counter inserts stacked up.

Anyway, got the idea to try again with that one. I put it in the shoe (secured by duct tape so I can easily remove it if I wanted). Then I put a Dr Scholls tri-comfort (it has a plastic support in it) followed by a Profoot Miracle (custom molding insoles). Both are available at any drug store.

They felt great, but the inserts kept moving and when I took my foot out, they back kept coming up.

This weekend, was playing with Christmas lights again and needed to use the stapler. I got this idea. I first stapled the tri-comfort to the wooden insert, and then used two staples on the ProFoot insert. The only thing I had to do after that is use some tape over the staples and they stay great and fit wonderful.

I did a measure to see how much I increased the height. The non-modified shoe has a 3" heel with a 1" platform, so the effective heel is only 2" (no wonder they feel like flats!). With the inserts, my heel is now 4.5" (an increase by 1.5"!) with a 1" platform, giving me a 3.5" effective heel (much nicer). Also, I measured a .75" lip so that combined with the stretchy shoe makes them fit and feel perfect:)

Not sure I would try this on every shoe, but for this (Steve Madden Snatch) it works and feels great!:D

Scotty

Dr Scholls Triad

Posted Image

ProFoot Miracle

Posted Image