The Adventures of kneehighs...

kneehighs

23 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

They're all getting their asses kicked in 🇺🇦 

I lived in UA up until the war started. Stayed in bomb shelters, walked 12 km to the border, lived through multiple air raid sirens, felt the rumble of explosions under my feet, heard explosions, abandoned a substantial portion of my belongings in my flat.  Have friends serving in the UA military, friends who can't sleep at night b/c of the drone attacks and air raid sirens, etc.

My visit to Russia is quite an eye opener. In Moscow for example, it feels free, beautiful, and creative. I didn't see a single soldier, a single military vehicle, or a car check point.   Whereas in the small town I landed in today, they have "Z" sign propaganda literally everywhere (from the airport tarmac, to passengers wearing "Z" memorabilia). It's quite surreal.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:15 PM, Shyheels said:

I’ve never been to Moscow but I’ve been to St Petersburg and that certainly was a lovely city. 

Yes, same sentiment here. I'll be making a stop in St. Petersburg after I'm done visiting my GF's family in a small town.  Can't wait to be honest

Edited by kneehighs

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 4 weeks later...

On 12.07.2023 at 17:02, kneehighs said:

Moja wizyta w Rosji otwiera oczy. Na przykład w Moskwie czuje się wolność, piękno i kreatywność. Nie widziałem ani jednego żołnierza, ani jednego pojazdu wojskowego, ani punktu kontroli samochodów. Natomiast w małym miasteczku, w którym dzisiaj wylądowałem, propagandę znaku „Z” mają dosłownie wszędzie (od płyty lotniska, po pasażerów noszących pamiątki „Z”). To dość surrealistyczne.

It is only in Moscow. Try to go somewhere from there to a small town or village and you will see the real Russia. In Poland, there are chargers on buses - nothing unusual.

Kneehighs, do you have any feelings about who should win this war?

Clearly Ukraine should triumph and Putin should be eliminated. Not likely the outcome but life is not fair. Russian people don't know any better, we get that. But despots like Putin need to die. 

On 8/5/2023 at 9:16 PM, Kasiioro said:

It is only in Moscow. Try to go somewhere from there to a small town or village and you will see the real Russia. In Poland, there are chargers on buses - nothing unusual.

Yes, the quality of life in Moscow imho gets a 9/10.  As written above, I did go to small towns (Pskov, Izborsk, Tambov) and even used an outhouse in the countryside, like a real Russian lol.  It is quite a contrast from life in Moscow. 

And USB chargers on buses is unusual for me. They didn't have USB chargers on buses in NYC or Budapest for instance.

On 8/6/2023 at 4:31 AM, Jkrenzer said:

Kneehighs, do you have any feelings about who should win this war?

Clearly Ukraine should triumph and Putin should be eliminated. Not likely the outcome but life is not fair. Russian people don't know any better, we get that. But despots like Putin need to die. 

You know, I lost a tremendous amount in Kyiv due to the special operation.  Seeing both sides now, I can clearly say that the actions of the government in RU is very distinct from the sentiment of the people.  They just can't speak up here because the government will punish them.  Here a musician was fined 1,000 euros for social media posts discrediting the military.  So the actions of the government is literally like a parallel universe that the people don't live in.  They can't speak their honest opinions because the punishment is so severe. 

For me, the win comes from whatever it takes to stop murdering innocent people.  It's difficult for me to say who is really the guilty party, because I have such an open mind for both sides.  And I don't think I'll ever truly know the truth.  Was it NATO expansion or was it planned Russian imperialism via Dugin's Foundations of Geopolitics?  Is it US bioweapons labs or is it a Biden cover up?  It's just so complex. I just want the killings to stop.

Edited by kneehighs

• 1 month later...

Fascinating to read my old posts here from back in 2006-2007.  Literally 17 years ago.

Like I idolized Europe back then. As if European living was some sort of status symbol.  🤯

GEEZ.   My game is so much better now too. Funny I say that now as I have a serious GF. She'll most likely be my wife.

After my travels since, I still firmly believe the USA is the best country in the world to offer economic opportunity and political freedom.

However, it's become prohibitively expensive (in major coastal cities I mean) and the food quality is terrible.  In the US, Whole Foods is a privilege. In Europe, the same food is the norm.  For a lot less $$.

The best solution is to make income/grow net worth in $USD and live in Europe, imho.

My plan was to  buy coastal land when it was cheap.  Up over 200% in 9 years. 

Grow your own organic food.  Retire triple dipping.

The key word is when.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, Shyheels said:

My plan is to step off-grid, draw up the drawbridge, live frugally  and let the world ride its own race

You've mentioned that before.  That would be quite a peaceful life, tbh.  What country will you be doing that in?  Only place I could see myself doing that is Spain, Italy, Greece, or France.

On 9/9/2023 at 5:40 AM, Cali said:

My plan was to  buy coastal land when it was cheap.  Up over 200% in 9 years. 

Grow your own organic food.  Retire triple dipping.

The key word is when.

I think the crypto industry has spoiled me. 200% in 9 years seems like eternity to me.  Bitcoin mining stocks are up 234% on average since January 2023.

Anyway, I know. your mentioning that in a different context with different priorities. California weather is absolutely gorgeous.  Arguably the best in the US. Hope you make it happen sometime!

• Like 1