The Adventures of kneehighs...

kneehighs

The following article found in Smithsonian Magazine When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink is probably the single best historically documented resource I've ever found that proves the concept of clothing as masculine or feminine is absolutely socially constructed.

I reordered some of the photos the article includes so they appear in strict chronological order, beginning with a photo from 1870 and ending with a Boy Paper Doll from 1920.  The second photo is a photo of FDR taken in NYC approximately around 1884.

This is article provides conclusive evidence that gender which revolves around clothing is totally socially constructed.

post-287-0-43503400-1384055973_thumb.jpe

post-287-0-50191100-1384055999_thumb.jpe

post-287-0-96288600-1384056013_thumb.jpe

post-287-0-95738700-1384056024_thumb.jpe

post-287-0-64128200-1384056035_thumb.jpe

post-287-0-20259100-1384056046_thumb.jpe

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Good find, Kneehighs! Thanks for bringing the article to our attention. It ought to be standard required reading for anybody looking at us heelers in disdain. "Odd" is in the eye of the beholder. What's odd to us now was socially accepted convention in the past. It applies not only to children's clothing, the subject of the article, but to men wearing high heels, stockings, tights, skirts, powedered wigs, satin, jewelry, cosmetics, brightly colored fabrics, and lace, all of which were once worn proudly by men.

Steve

What I find interesting, Kneehighs, is the attribution to the advertising industry, of which I'm a part: The rise of consumerism directed at children making them "the subjects of persuasive and sophisticated advertising that tends to reinforce social conventions. So they think, for example, that what makes someone female is long hair and a dress." Conventions become standardized when media is ubiquitous. Some independent thinking, outside conventional media norms, by parents (and society) would help. 

Hey there, kneehighs! That was an absolutely fascinating piece which made for fascinating, insightful reading.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

So normally I hate these adventure posts, but it looks like kneehighs posts are interesting.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlearts/2013/10/15/fashion-the-french-revolution-and-a-masculinity-in-continual-crisis/

Food for thought, its rather covered in feminist phrasing as a forewarning but worth a quick read. I never really thought of the effects of the french revolution upon western dress. Or at least the impact it had.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So in part because of my efforts at personal branding as of late, it's come to my attention how important EMOTIONAL BRANDING is.  In fact, I'd argue that EMOTIONAL BRANDING is more important than any other kind of branding, since emotions quickly bypass the logical noise inherent in an oversaturated marketplace.

Emotional Branding is a concept that starts with Carl Jung's emotional archetypes.  There are 12 emotional archetypes.  Each provides emotions that are universally desired.  In marketing, Nike activates the HERO archetype.  This requires a contrast between Villain and Hero. The villain in Nike's case is the weaker self, the self that wants to procrastinate, the self that doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning.  The Hero is built around constant repitition of "just do it now" or "be empowered".

This branding can also extend to an additional option of how to explain our desire to wear heels.   In addition to other proven methods, we can use the Rebel Archetype to explain our desire to wear heels.  You could virtually paraphrase word-for-word this quote from Apple, which taps into the Rebel Archetype.

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Gotta run, but just some thoughts to spark your minds.

• Like 1

So in part because of my efforts at personal branding as of late, it's come to my attention how important EMOTIONAL BRANDING is.  In fact, I'd argue that EMOTIONAL BRANDING is more important than any other kind of branding, since emotions quickly bypass the logical noise inherent in an oversaturated marketplace.

Emotional Branding is a concept that starts with Carl Jung's emotional archetypes.  There are 12 emotional archetypes.  Each provides emotions that are universally desired.  In marketing, Nike activates the HERO archetype.  This requires a contrast between Villain and Hero. The villain in Nike's case is the weaker self, the self that wants to procrastinate, the self that doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning.  The Hero is built around constant repitition of "just do it now" or "be empowered".

This branding can also extend to an additional option of how to explain our desire to wear heels.   In addition to other proven methods, we can use the Rebel Archetype to explain our desire to wear heels.  You could virtually paraphrase word-for-word this quote from Apple, which taps into the Rebel Archetype.

Gotta run, but just some thoughts to spark your minds.

Love it!

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Just as a matter of personal pride, I hate fitting into any category.  But, using an expression appropriate for this forum, if the shoe fits, wear it.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Just as a matter of personal pride, I hate fitting into any category.  But, using an expression appropriate for this forum, if the shoe fits, wear it.

TBG

Hey I hear you!  But even that comment in it of itself typifies the Rebel archetype...reinforcing how effective it might work for you  :rocker:

• 2 weeks later...

KH, thank you for putting the right words where they belong !

Old threads like "would you continue wearing heels if they became mainstream for men ?" tried to provide a validation to this assumption. Yet it definetely lacked the good vocabulary at the time.

Another definition that could fit to me, is I am adventurous, but I do not want to engage too much. So I need a joyful, light hearted, real life, easy to set up adventure that does not hurt anybody.

Video games are boring. And movies I have seen enough. I am too old for gettiong sensations on bikes or snowboards without threatening my health too much. Not bold enough to engage in the army. I don't want to give up my familly.  Yes I know there are numerous other possible activities. Fishing, etc. Heels, why not.

• 1 month later...

From a more scientific bent:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2014/06/06/yanss-podcast-25-how-the-clothes-you-wear-change-your-perceptions-and-behaviors-with-hajo-adam/

While it doesn't touch on anything like what we talk incessantly about here, it does bring up interesting questions regarding clothing in general.

Also apparently I need to buy a lab coat if I want to screw up less.

From a more scientific bent:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2014/06/06/yanss-podcast-25-how-the-clothes-you-wear-change-your-perceptions-and-behaviors-with-hajo-adam/

While it doesn't touch on anything like what we talk incessantly about here, it does bring up interesting questions regarding clothing in general.

Also apparently I need to buy a lab coat if I want to screw up less.

Very cool.  The relevant discussion doesn't start until 22 minutes in.

Very cool.  The relevant discussion doesn't start until 22 minutes in.

Whoops my bad, forgot it took a bit to spin up. I tend to listen while running or going to work so I tend to forget about those little details.

Whoops my bad, forgot it took a bit to spin up. I tend to listen while running or going to work so I tend to forget about those little details.

No big deal.  I was notifying others to save them the time.  It was very interesting listening. 

Kneehighs,

Good articles. That the media are even talking about men adapting women's apparel is a very encouraging sign of what the future holds in store. I'm elated that fashion freedom may indeed be a two-way street someday.

Steve

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/20/clothes-aren-t-for-men-and-women-anymore-they-re-just-for-people.html

Best quote from the above link is from Valerie Steele:

“Clothing, fashion and adornment distinguish—they identify who you are. And one of the primary things we’ve identified, that we’ve wanted to identify, is our gender,” Valerie Steele, director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology, says. “But now, for a number of men and women, gender has become something that’s not so important for them to emphasize in their clothing. They feel there needs to be something that people can wear just as people.”

Our culture has reached what Time magazine recently called A Transgender Tipping Point.

We are now in the age of gender tolerance.

Go forth and wear what you want.

This is a very encouraging milestone in our progress as a civilization, which has for too long emphasized sameness and fitting into the pigeonhole determined by your sex instead of letting you decide where on the gender spectrum you prefer to be and what you want to wear, and more importantly, developing tolerance for your decision. The handwriting was on the wall 15 years ago when I started www.actisvkin.com and the trend has been gaining momentum ever since. Guys, we're just ahead of our time - pioneers, if you will (and remember, the pioneers were the ones with arrows in their backs!).

Steve

• 1 year later...

POLARIZING OUTFITS FOR ATTRACTION

So here's an idea.  Attraction is often based on polarity.  How about co-creating polarity with our outfits with our dates to create attraction?  

If the girl wears a traditionally feminine outfit, then agree to wear a traditionally masculine outfit with heels.  If she wears lace and chiffon,  then wear a studded leather jacket, tight jeans, motorcycle accessories, studded belt, and strapped/buckled heels. 

Co-coordinate outfits with polarity.  

Definitely, something to try in the New Year if the occassion arises.

• Like 2

It's ironic that women can dress in men's wear with heels fashionably, but when men wear heels with men's wear then they are considered cross dressers. To change public opinion or attitudes so that men will be fashionably correct is for more men to openly wear their choice of heels and the attire that fits their tastes. If that delves into a socially regarded feminine look, then remind them that women aren't changing into men from what they wear.   

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

For entertainment sake.  A screenshot of a recent instagram private message with a beautiful Northern European.  We were talking about Gucci heels.

Edited by kneehighs

most women and girls for some strange reason, prefer to be in the company of guys who wear what they wear, too them we are there fashion item, and they seem too act more comfortable around us heel wearing guys, they never seem comfortable with guys who are very manly, they never approach them, but if you are a guy who wears what they wear on there feet, there all over you like bees on honey.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rick24 said:

but if you are a guy who wears what they wear on there feet, there all over you like bees on honey

Ah the things you learn at hhplace... A safe way to get a buzz on without drugs or alcohol.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.