The Adventures of kneehighs...

kneehighs

Actually, it's one thing to respond positively to a guy wearing heels while in a crowded social setting but entirely different to maintain the positive attitude beyond the initial meeting (after the guy moves on or the club closes, so to speak).

Agreed. And the answer is yes, 2 or 3 cases of which I've written about here and more which I haven't written about. Not to toot my own horn, but my charisma in conversation through which I connect to them pretty much sustains their interest regardless of the context (bar, first date, second date).

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 3 weeks later...

Today Pam and I met for dinner at Cafe Orlin in the East Village. The first time we met admirer5577 here, all three of us fell in love with our beautiful blonde server, the food, and the neighborhood. We had a chat over a glass of wine, an arugula salad with shaved Parmesan cheese, and a burger.

After we left Cafe Orlin, we headed to the Wine Bar on East 4th and 2d Avenue. This is where Pam got brave. There were two girls sitting at the wine bar facing the window whom Pam approached under the guise that he was doing some research for a Latin Fashion magazine about women's reactions to men in heels. (EDIT: so not necessary :smile: ) Then he pointed out my stiletto pumps and wanted to see what their reactions were.

It was 50/50. One girl did not like it. The other girl was open to it. I phrased one question like this, "If you were to meet a guy for a first date and just meet him for dinner, you know like we do here in the city, where you just sit down and get to know each other...and if you were to sit and talk to him for 3 or 4 hours over dinner and then walk somewhere else and THEN discover that he was wearing heels, what would your reaction be?" She responded that she would find it exciting.

EDIT: she also asked how the heels made me feel, adding that wearing heels made her feel sexy.

Hmm, shame they had previous plans to visit with other girl friends for dinner as the one who was excited about men in heels mentioned a few times that she was single.

From there Pam and I made our way to the Starbucks close to Saint Marks Place. Naturally Pam had to strike up a conversation with the barista about her thoughts of men in heels. Turns out she is an aspiring designer and totally open to the idea. She said it all depends on how BROAD men want to make their fashion choices.

From there we crossed the street and went to the Starbucks close to 6 train stop. We sat down near a group of 4 girls and Pam yet again wanted to play his, "we are doing research for a fashion magazine" when suddenly one girl at the head of the table happened to glance down at the ground a catch a good look of my stiletto pumps. Within a second she was covering her mouth with her hand and sneaking some kind of conversation with her friends in...making sidelong glances our way. With a few more minutes, the 4 girls got up to leave. But before they left they all went to the bathroom, stayed in line for about 1 minute (long enough to get a good view of my stiletto pumps), then finally left the Starbucks for good. Both Pam and I concluded that these girls were likely 18-21, college aged, and probably from different parts of the country besides NYC.

Overall, it was a great night and just a shadow of the things to come while we party the night away in London in Feb. You can find a picture of my outfit: black Nine West 4" stiletto pumps, Hugo Boss distressed jeans, red Zara jacket layered over a black GAP hoodie, and grey scarf tied into an interesting knot.

We sat down near a group of 4 girls and Pam yet again wanted to play his, "we are doing research for a fashion magazine" when suddenly one girl at the head of the table happened to glance down at the ground a catch a good look of my stiletto pumps. Within a second she was covering her mouth with her hand and sneaking some kind of conversation with her friends in...making sidelong glances our way. With a few more minutes, the 4 girls got up to leave. But before they left they all went to the bathroom, stayed in line for about 1 minute (long enough to get a good view of my stiletto pumps).

From what I gather, or I prefer saying what I can guess is that situations like these can cause an uncomfortable feeling. That also depends on how well your own mood is during the day. But what I did gather from your essay was that you proudly shown your footwear, despite the type of folk that surrounds your stay. I can't quite understand the selection of the girls' opinions and how they'd feel when spotting a rare sight like us. In moments like this, I would dyingly wish they had 'balls' to walk up to us and impulsively start a conversation about our heels.

I constantly see it happen. When traveling by train, or just walking on the sidewalks. I get spotted and it are the youngsters (girls most likely) that start whispering to eachother about my footwear. Rather than collecting the nerve to start a chat with me, they just go like "Oh look at that!!".

But I have compensating moments too. There are people with guts. One guy just stated out "RESPECT!!" One single word for one pleasant compliment.

I just don't know if cultural opinions are ripe for globalization. The only key it needs is the canceling of silence between the people. Trains used to be very noise, if not by the sound of the running engine, the least it would come from the people within.

Aside all that, I just know that we can't give up doing what we like most. Coming this far, and entering new ages every season, gives me enough courage to show the world something new. Keep it up, I tell ya!

If all is lost as it may seem,

in a cruel endless game,

I'd rather live to redeem,

than to die in shame!

you know, thats all its really about I think: RESPECT! they do NOT seem to know HOW to show RESPECT to others if they are dressed "differently" then themselves, & yes when they DO show it (via compliments) it shows their GUTS (read integerity)to "break away" from them crowd to DO so! @ least thats MY take on it.

• 2 months later...

It's been quite a while since I've updated this thread, but fear not, a trip to London is coming soon. Here are a couple of shots I took today at Fashion Week. The first is candid. The second woman actually posed for me.

post-486-133522853084_thumb.jpg

post-486-133522853092_thumb.jpg

nice pics. The very attractive woman that posed for you is wearing a nice pair of classic black pumps. Her dress, however, looks like she is a little ample around the waist ("preggy"?)or she's wearing an old fashioned hoop skirt.......(you know, like those skirts that the women wore in "Gone with the wind")

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Good eye Bubba. She's wearing a hoop skirt and hoop coat. I could have put a better picture where she was looking directly at the lens of my DSLR and smiling, but for the purposes here, the latter pic is good enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of updating this thread with a positive story, I thought I'd share a potentially negative experience I encountered while in London. After the British Fashion Council Party on Thursday, me, Heel-D, and our posse of Swedish super model friends made way to a London club called Amika. I was wearing black round toe 4" Nine West pumps, black skinny pants, a Georgette Silk Twill tuxedo top by Marc by Marc Jacobs, and a blazer. Getting past the door men at ground level was no problem. Getting past the door men in the second level downstairs was no problem either. In fact, going in and out of the club, provided that I was with a girl was uneventful. Until, I went back in alone. At which point the bouncer at ground level didn't exhibit a problem with my dress, but the one at the second level downstairs did. Since I was without my usual female company, he got brave and stopped me. I showed him my wrist band. He shined his flashlight on my wrist band. Then he shined his flashlight right onto my shoes. He asked, "Did you nick those?" To which I replied, "No, I bought them." Then he asked, "Why are you wearing women's shoes?" To that I said, "Because I want to, why is there a problem?" I took a few steps back to increase the space between us. I sensed he was harassing me. Soon, two women came in line from behind me and he told them "he's wearing women's shoes" as he shined the flashlight on my pumps. They didn't stop for even a second and continued to walk into the bar. I calmly stood my ground. So in confident tone of voice I said, "I would love for the press to get a hold of this story" and I looked him right in the eye. Then he said, "just go in". I stood motionless, intending to intimidate this guy right back. I asked, "What's your name?" He replied, "it doesn't matter, just go in." I dropped the issue and returned inside. Now did I whine and cry that I would never wear heels again? No. Will it stop me from wearing heels again? No way. Will it stop me from going back to that business? Hell yes. No way I'm going to spend money in an establishment that employs ignoramuses like that guy. Had I known the exact statutory citations for the applicable British Human Rights Laws and time to draw up a complaint, I would have sent it to the management to scare them. Strange thing I found myself in a situation where I didn't know how to enforce my legal rights. Moral of the story: keep heeling. I am even more confident now that I can handle the worst that is thrown at me.

Well done, kneehighs! Well done! I thought you handled that situation in just the right way. You stood your ground and refused to be intimidated without raising an unholy stink which would've done nobody any good. I agree that such a negative situation like what you encountered could possibly traumatize the less self-assured among us, causing them to retreat to the safety of their closets, never to emerge from again, if not purge their heels altogether. But by voting with your wallet, that goon cost his employer any future business. In the end, that's the best revenge. Good work, my friend. This was just the sort of cautionary tale that illustrates the problems we as high heeled men still face today.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Bravo to you, Kneehighs! Just goes to show that even the worst rectal-cranial inverted twits can't stop us from wearing what we love. You were 1000% in the right standing up to him, and perhaps it deflated his ego down to human standards when he realized he couldn't rattle your cage. You always have style and good taste in your clothes, and if someone can't handle it, then tough noogies.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

You should of jabbed him with your stiletto...haha Good stuff man, way to stand your ground! I've had a similar experience where someone out of the crowd tries to me a macho guy and point out that I'm wearing shoes or whatever. Every single time it just turns into everyone else going "sweet shoes" and they go on with their business.

hell kneehighs, I would have told him that is none of his god damn bussiness why I'm wearing "womens shoes" & that I didnt ask him in the 1st. place what he though of it, & I WOULD have complained to the managment right there & THEN, VERY loudly!!! (what the hell do these places need to hire MORONS for, with NO requirements for BRAINS & PROFESSIONALISM, is WAY WAY beyond MY thinking!!!??) good boy, always stand up for your rights, esp. in face of IDIOTS, which seem to be hired for these jobs for their bulky muscles & nothing else needed!;)

Congratulations, KH! ;) Your handling of the situation was spot on perfect. One other thing I would have done (or would do if I ever found myself in a similar situation) -- After I entered past him into the establishment, I would have gone directly to the manager and explained the situation to him. My purpose would be nothing other than to alert the management with a friendly warning of the potential legal problem his establishment might be facing if his employees presisted in harassing customers to the degree that you experienced. I would also explain, as an indication of my appreciation of my treatment at the hands of his employee, that he had gotten the last of my money and that I would try my best to let other people know of the kind of treatment they should expect when they thought of going to his establishment.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Way to go Kneehighs! You da man!!!!! I agree totally with Bubba and Demonia. I would have went straight to the management and let them know in a very calm and professional way that they had gotten the last of my money and a lot of people are going to hear about how they treat you like a criminal and try to embarrass you in front of others because the doorman didn't agree with what you were wearing. You do, in my opinion, have great taste in dress. BTW, what is the name of that forbidden place? Good work standing your ground!

real men wear heels

Thanks guys. Approaching management about the issue while it happened would have been interesting, but I didn't feel like pressing the matter any further, really. Had I known the precise statutes within British Law that address this issue, and if those statutes apply to non-British citizens, I would have pressed the issue further. That's my style. If that had happened in NYC, I could have had an unnofficial legal complaint dropped at their doorstep within hours (just to scare them into some sort of cheap settlement <free night out etc>). Gives me something to look into for the next London trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Kneehighs, that was so cool on your part. And I especially mean the way you kept your cool in the entire situation. I like the way you difused the situation, kept your composure, and didn't push the envelope. I can't remember anyone ever approaching me face-to-face like that and being derogatory. I will use your experience as a lesson in case this happens. Thank you for sharing this with us.;)

• 4 weeks later...

Last night was an interesting evening. After having dinner and drinks with a couple of girl friends at Soho Park in Nolita, I felt like it was time for some fun in the Old Meat Packing District again. This area has pretty much worn out it's hip status as it's become a terminally trendy area now, a veritable mecca of nightlife for everyone except locals. But I went expecting to have a good time. And a good time I had too.

I wore my black 4" Nine West stiletto pumps, no socks, black skinny jeans from Urban Outfitters, black Calvin Klein glossy blazer, and peach Marc by Marc Jacobs Silk Georgette twill top. My pumps were in full view.

I settled on Buddakan, a restaurant/lounge on the corner of 9th Avenue and 16th. The first thing I noticed is that 90% of the crowd was in the 25-35 age bracket and most of the guys were wearing blazers. Right away I liked the professionally upwardly mobile clientelle, immediately felt safe and settled onto a bar stool.

After a drink, I started to converse with a couple of girls from Victoria, Canada, a blonde and a brunette. We wound up talking for about 3 hours touching on topics from politics to fashion to dating to travel. Even after 3 hours of talking with these girls, no mention of my stiletto pumps was made. To be honest, I don't think they noticed--that is until I made it an issue.

Right before we decided to leave to explore a new club, I said to the blonde, "Okay, but first, before we go, I need to change my shoes since mine are the same as yours (simultaneously I held out my pump against her pump)". Naturally, she was surprised. Her first question was, "What size are they?" to which I replied, "the same size as yours (she was 5'11" without heels)".

"Mine are size 9"

"Oh, mine are 11. Nine West"

"really, so are mine"

After taking our shoes off and comparing them, it turned out we were both wearing the exact same model of Nine West pumps, just in different sizes. My dream had come true: to be out for a night on the town with an attractive lady while we both wore the exact same pumps. And I didn't even have to buy her a pair either! I started having second thoughts about whether I should change my shoes, so I said, "I dunno. You think I should change or leave them on?" The blonde replied, "Leave them on if you can." :roll:

When her friend got back from the restroom, she had to tell her friend about my pumps. Her friend really acted like it was no big deal. Over all, neither girl gushed with praise for my pumps, nor did they criticize them. We didn't dwell on the topic of my shoes for much longer than approximately one minute and before long, we were off to another club. It was a very nonchalant experience and a wonderful evening full of good conversation, massive flirting, and enjoyable camaraderie that finally came to a close around 5 am. The blonde wound up giving me her contact information so we can get together Sunday night too.

Congratulations my friend! Read your stories are the best way to remember how good was my times when I was single. Be married is very good, of course, but those moments when single where enjoiable. Unfortunatelly I didn't have the courage to wear my heels at the street at that time, but it's another conversation...

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

As always Kneehighs another inspirational tale. You not only get out there in high heels, you do it with style and seem to get a good reaction from everyone you meet. Thanks for taking the time to share these tales with us all.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

• 3 weeks later...

Whew, I should be at work right now but I called in sick today, since i had to recover from last nights festivities. I met up with a beautiful 5'11" blonde at her condo in the village and we talked from 5 at night till 2 in the morning. Some wine was included. Some clothes swapping was included as well. For starters, she was totally cool with guys in heels. Twice she said she would date guys who wear heels. Her words were, "of course I would!" It's too bad she was a size 9.5 though, as she was excitedly pulling out her shoe collection for me to try on. Everything from Chanel's to Anna Sui's to Miu Miu's....sadly, they were too small for me. Interestingly enough, she has a male best friend who she swaps shoes with on a regular basis! He wears heels all the time apparently. We did wind up swapping other clothes though. We stood at her closet and one by one pulled out her tops that would look okay on me...this black silk and satin oversized shirt that was amazing....this white oversized shirt with deconstructed hems that I now have in my closet...this amazing avant garde sweater that drops to my thighs and hugs my waist amazingly....three tunics that caused both of us to lust with joy as they fit perfectly. So even though our shoe size is different, our other clothing size is the same! And you can bet I'll be in touch again. And yes, I wore heels....black booties with skinny jeans. EDIT: she even tried on my heels and walked around in them. They were too big for her, but she still loved them.

That is just about the coolest adventure I have ever heard from a man in heels! Kneehighs, YOU R DA MAN! Must be more to this great adventure that your not telling us though. Like the end of the story, or the new beginning? So is there maybe something possible here that might be some what of a future with this fantasy woman?

real men wear heels