50's fashion

Debbie(HK)

My particular favourite in vintage fashions is the 50's era, swirling circle skirts, seamed nylons, stilettos and especially the undies! I have a huge collection of both. For me. the look of a seamed stocking compliments a stiletto heel. :smile:

This is a platform free shoe zone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has any one still got real life 50s - I have a pair of boots - only about 2 inch heel but nicely tapered to a fine metal tip and very pointy toe, comfortable but a bit low, showing wear but can still wear them occasionally - but have to admit they are 60s

• 9 months later...

Tahira, Naughty one, ... Here am I sitting trying to catch up with the latest "IN"-posts, and you almost make me drool on my pants, just five minutes out of the spin dryer(?) after the washing machine has done its part. I almost should..., -Nah you would probably just find something even worse the next time... :lol: TallSwede

• 2 weeks later...

Swede, I'm glad you love my posting, I adore vintage stockings besides my heels I have. But if I would live in the 50's imagine those sexy garters and cubanhose wearing like Dita does. By away do you know who is Dita? if not let me know.

• 2 months later...

My particular favourite in vintage fashions is the 50's era, swirling circle skirts, seamed nylons, stilettos and especially the undies! I have a huge collection of both. For me. the look of a seamed stocking compliments a stiletto heel. :wink:

I too love 50's fashion. I became interested in straight skirts when I was 13 in the fifties. Straight skirts were calf-lenght then and were not slit for ease of movement, slit skirts were considered to be tarty and not the sort of thing that resectable ladies wore. most straight skirts had a small kick pleat at the back to make them easer to walk in, but they were still very limiting.

Because they were so limiting the 50's straight skirts were very controversial and unpopular with some women. I used to read the fashion pages of my mothers magazines to see if there were any articals about these skirts.

There were occasionaly articals about the problems of coping with everyday chores in straight skirts.

Fashion editers would give advice on how to get on a bus or into a car, and things to avoid doing if you are wearing a tight skirt.

It all seems very amusing now, but in the fifties it was serious stuff as women did not have the option of trousers and had to do everything in skirts.

Skirted-UK

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

What a coincidence, I'm also from the fifties and am also a great fan of long straight skirts which I now wear about 50% of the time. I also prefer them to be tight and restrictive and have the habit of sewing most slits closed, or having the seamstress install an extra zipper and take them in altogether, especially at the knees. The zipper at the bottom allows me to adjust the restriction according to what has to be done. If I have to step up a large step (bus etc) or run to cross a street, I open the zipper a bit more and close it again when walking normally. I'm wearing those since years and my way of walk is completely different know with my knees always close together, even in pants. Even getting in and out of cars I do differently, whatever I wear. While most people find these skirts uncomfortable I like the challenge and the feeling and never got tired of it. I'm glad they are back into fashion now and don't care if they only marketed for girls. I can now buy them in any store while 20 years ago I needed a seamstress to have them made because the style had completely vanished. I also like the mermaid style long skirts that are becoming popular. Skintight at the knees and widening below. The stretchy materials allow so much more styles as before.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 9 months later...

Tahira:-) I well remember those Frederick's of Hollywood ads with the almost 5" heels. Well at least, there was some truth in advertising being practiced during that era. I have had several pairs of heels through the years from Frederick's of Hollywood as I began dealing with that company while still in the service many years ago. And I always wore cuban heel hose with them as that was the fashion of the day at that time. As the fashions changed for the ladies through the years, I changed fashions with them as this was what the out-and-about women wore to work and back. Debbie(HK):-) And my costumnes included the undies that you like so well that the women of the 50's wore daily. Skirted-UK:-) I have a dark brown straight skirt---just below the knee length---that has two kick pleats in the front---over both knees. I love how it feels when sitting and standing and I have been told several times that I wear it well and that it looks great on me and it is extremely comfortable when paired with a very pretty, sexy, fluffy blouse and black patent heels, and makes my legs and feet look and feel very sexy underneath it. If I could find another similar skirt like it, I would purchase it in a New York Minute. I had so much fun during the 50's and 60's dating the girls wearing those fashions, and wearing those fashions my-self. :D:D:D Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Dawn, Tall Suede, Paul and High. :P , it's too bad that Fredericks don't design those vintage heels anymore. I used to wear those lovely white dorsay in 5" from FH , and also I had some lovely slingback shoes from them. I miss them a lot. :P

Tahira:-) I miss them a lot too. I really enjoyed wearing those 50's, 60's fashions back then and they made you feel so very sexy and stylish. Mickey and I just finished watching a movie on TV called "Down With Love" which was full of early 60's fashions, fantastic outfits, really great music, and scene after scene full of pointed toe stiletto heeled pumps. UM-UMMMMM! They were so comfortable to wear and so fabulous looking on your feet. Too bad that they don't make them anymore. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 1 month later...

Tahira:-) Please forgive me for not answering your question to me on the pic of that pair of shoes that you posted on Jul 17. I just now looked into the Vintage Fashions thread after not checking here for quite a while. I would prefer those shoes in black and without the platform. I think that they would be very stylish in that mode and could be used with a lot more outfits than the silver version. You have a liking for silver shoes and you really like them in that form, no doubt. I'm not a platform person, but evidently you are. Enjoy them to no end. Again, sorry for not replying sooner as I assure you it was an oversight on my part. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 11 months later...
:evil: I love how women used to dress back then! That's one of the reasons why I love to check out the old movies from my local public library! I love what Liz Taylor wore in "Butterfield 8" and what Lana Turner wore in "A Perfect Life" You can't beat those kinds of clothes and Liz and Lana were some of the best at it! And I can't forget, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" either! I the scene where Liz is straighten her stocking seams in front of Paul Newman while she's in her slip is sheer "timeless!" And not to mention that she's in heels the whole time!. . . . . jay_nyca1

You sure can't beat those 50's films for glamour! I look out for the classics on DVD, i'm starting a collection. Someone gave me a Sophia Loren DVD set for Xmas, that women takes my breath away!!

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

:evil: Yeah, Sophia Loren and Gina Lollabridgitta were just two of my favorite Italian glamour queens from the 50's! Back then they really could dress from head to toe! I love watching their old movies on DVD from that post WWII era!. . . . And for you slip loving fans, you really must see "The Rose Tattoo" with Burt Lancaster and Anna Magnani! She's wearing a nice black silk slip and heels in most of the movie. I thought that I'd throw that in!. . . . jay_nyca1

See Gina Lollobrigitta in the Steve McQueen film, "Never so Few" its just been released by Warner Bros as a Steve McQueen DVD set. In the film Gina wears some stuning fifties outfits, one of the best is a fitted silk sheath dress in dark blue and gold. you won't be able to take your eyes off her. Talk about wow factor!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I certainly know what you mean. I, like you, get a big kick out of looking at those old 50's flicks. But then, I also WORE those styles of clothes back during the 50's, both male and female. Mickey tells me that I'm stuck back in the 50's even in my male atire. So what! No on would know me if I didn't dress like the 50's. Cheers--- Dawn HH