Political Debates

Actually Sharia Law isn't actually as cruel as most people imagine. Yes amputation and execution are part of it but Saudi Arabia has executed fewer people in ten years than the US does in a year. Amputation is virtually unheard of because it is such a powerful deterrent.

Sharia is based on desert survival, for example if you are found stranded in the desert, anyone finding you is duty bound to help you to reach civilisation or accommodate you for 72 hours. It is up to you to leave when the 72 hours is up but this is where the legendary Arab hospitality comes from. Another aspect of Sharia is the fact that a man can take a number of wives depending on his status, this is to ensure that he has plenty of sons to support him in his old age. On the other hand if a woman commits adultery (and there have to be 6? witnesses) she would be beheaded so that you don't run into the situation where brothers and sisters are inadvertently marrying.

However, Sharia is outmoded in our world and most of their laws have been superceded with "better" ones but you can walk the streets in total safety in Saudi which you cannot say about the UK. My only criticism of Sharia Law is the fact that it is up to a cleric to decide guilt and you could be executed just because he doesn't like you.

It is worth remembering that the system of laws that were around in the time of Jesus (those he supported) included stoning, amputation, etc and was very similar to sharia. An establishment of "The Greatest Kingdom" will include a return to justice like this. After all, the only way you're going to illiminate suffering is if you make the punishment for causing it so severe that people won't consider the risk worth taking, the same goes for famine and poverty. Peace can only be achieved if you put absolute power in the hand of someone who is totally responsible and make it so that no one would dare to make war. I think that we are already a long way down the path to illiminating disease except that the drug companies are too greedy.

Au contraire. You are speaking in very secular, carnal terms, which is the only thing this present world understands. But God, through the pages of His word, says: "I will make a new covenant with them and My laws I will write in their hearts... I will remove the stoney heart from their flesh and give them a heart of understanding and renew their spirit within them." This not at all unlike what Gen. Douglas MacArthur said when he spoke of mankind having its last clear chance, that there must be a recrudescence of the spirit if the flesh is to be saved.:D

The new kingdom will not be based upon enforcement of the laws, but rather, a change of heart where everyone will earnestly desire to do right by his fellow man. :wink: In short, there will indeed be a recrudescence of the spirit and everyone will be duty-bound to do the right thing by the strongest chains of all - the "chains of the heart".

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Au contraire. You are speaking in very secular, carnal terms, which is the only thing this present world understands. But God, through the pages of His word, says: "I will make a new covenant with them and My laws I will write in their hearts... I will remove the stoney heart from their flesh and give them a heart of understanding and renew their spirit within them." This not at all unlike what Gen. Douglas MacArthur said when he spoke of mankind having its last clear chance, that there must be a recrudescence of the spirit if the flesh is to be saved.:D

The new kingdom will not be based upon enforcement of the laws, but rather, a change of heart where everyone will earnestly desire to do right by his fellow man. :wink: In short, there will indeed be a recrudescence of the spirit and everyone will be duty-bound to do the right thing by the strongest chains of all - the "chains of the heart".

I really think you should read the Q'Ran you will see that the foundations of the moslem faith is not too dissimilar from Christainity, it's these mad mullahs who are twisting it to suit their own agenda. The problem is is that many of their followers cannot see what's good for them much like some fanatical Christians I know! :-)

The main foundation of Sharia is the desire that every person should want live upright moral lives which is why the punishments are so severe.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I really think you should read the Q'Ran you will see that the foundations of the moslem faith is not too dissimilar from Christainity, it's these mad mullahs who are twisting it to suit their own agenda. The problem is is that many of their followers cannot see what's good for them much like some fanatical Christians I know! :-)

The main foundation of Sharia is the desire that every person should want live upright moral lives which is why the punishments are so severe.

While I will admit that I've never actually read the Q'Ran, I hope to do so in the not too distant future. However, my Teacher said, "By their fruits you shall know them." Therefore it is not entirely necessary for me to understand the tenents and doctrines of other faiths when all I have to do is observe the fruits they're producing. I tend to wholesale reject any faith whose main fruits are death and destruction, regardless of what their actual doctrines might be.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

You mean things like the Spanish Inquisition, the burning of members of other denominations at the stake just because they disagreed on the meaning of a tiny part of scripture. You mean where innocent people were starved to death because they would not embrace Christianity. You mean wars in which hundreds of thousands of people died... All this happened centuries ago but you must remember that all religions go through phases of development and the Moslems are in their Medieval period right now... BTW is this politics? I think it is. LOL.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You mean things like the Spanish Inquisition, the burning of members of other denominations at the stake just because they disagreed on the meaning of a tiny part of scripture. You mean where innocent people were starved to death because they would not embrace Christianity. You mean wars in which hundreds of thousands of people died...

All this happened centuries ago but you must remember that all religions go through phases of development and the Moslems are in their Medieval period right now...

BTW is this politics? I think it is.

LOL.

You said it. The scripture says, "By their fruits you shall know them." That still stands. Here in America it was a bunch of religious zealots and do-gooders who got the federal government to ban alcohol. The backlash was underground "speakeasies", and Al Capone style gangsterism. It was an age when the Thompson submachine gun became known as "the Chicago typewriter". Eventually the congress had to repeal prohibition.

Yet anyone with eyes to read could easily find where Christ's first recorded miracle was to convert about 180 gallons of water into wine. God save us all from radical zealots and do-gooders.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 weeks later...

Amen... or something like that.

- Peter the atheist

Amen is merely an ancient form of affirmation or expression meaning "so let it be", or "truth be spoken". It was actually used quite freely in everyday parlance at one time. You don't have to go around in religious garb with some holy book under yer arm to use it. I would personally like to see it regain usage again outside of religious circles.;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 month later...

You mean things like the Spanish Inquisition, the burning of members of other denominations at the stake just because they disagreed on the meaning of a tiny part of scripture. You mean where innocent people were starved to death because they would not embrace Christianity. You mean wars in which hundreds of thousands of people died...

BTW is this politics?...

Speaking of inquisitions, it seems to me that you Britts had a fair go at that yourselves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you folks spent about 100 years burning-down churches, burning people at the stake, throwing people into dungeons and all that sort of thing. Isn't that what happened to Tyndale, Locke, and Rutherford, to name a few?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Exactly my point. The moslems are doing just that, just look at the Shi'ite/Sunni clash in Iraq. Look at the way Martin Luther was treated shortly after his "objections" and nailing his 95 theses to the church door in Wittenburg. Aparently he was made to eat worms or something... LOL

Exactly my point. The moslems are doing just that, just look at the Shi'ite/Sunni clash in Iraq.

Look at the way Martin Luther was treated shortly after his "objections" and nailing his 95 theses to the church door in Wittenburg.

Aparently he was made to eat worms or something... LOL

You know, I never have understood the difference between the Shi'ites and the Sunnis. What is it: one reads the Q'ran from front to back while the other reads the Q'ran from back to front?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

It's all to do with succession of power after the prophet Muhammad's death. The Sunni is "purer" form where Muhammad is held in the highest importance whereas the the Shi'ites believe Muhammad's Uncle and his successors posessed devine blessing as well, or something like that. Q'ran is worth reading. It's similar to the bible. Some bits are interesting. Larger tracts I found quite heavy going, even boring.

It's all to do with succession of power after the prophet Muhammad's death.

The Sunni is "purer" form where Muhammad is held in the highest importance whereas the the Shi'ites believe Muhammad's Uncle and his successors posessed devine blessing as well, or something like that.

Q'ran is worth reading. It's similar to the bible. Some bits are interesting. Larger tracts I found quite heavy going, even boring.

Much like the bible I suppose.

The difference between the sects is much like the differences between say, Baptists and Roman Catholics or CofE vs Pentacostles