Are high heel women masochists?

All the ready made high heel shoes are implements of torture, not because their heels are too high, but because their design does not make sense. One would expect female members of the High Heel Meeting Place to discuss comfortable high heel shoe design and modification, but they never mention these topics. When someone says "my feet are killing me" the standard response is "you must get used to it." Are these women masochists? :lol:;)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hay Blond, where did you get that avatar? Better yet whos ass is that? I sure hope it's yours! ;)

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Getting back to the original question.. I think there are a number of reasons Firstly, the style is driven by fashion – which is not a choice for the majority of us, after all if I go down any high street and look in the shoe shops, every shop is selling identical items, and even within each shop, the choice is limited, sure there are 100’s of shoe “styles” – but in reality there is not a wide actual choice, for example at the moment they are ALL pointy toe, they ALL have a choice of 2-3 buckle types… The shoes are “designed” as fashion items not items to actually wear! – A few years back, I remember a “Watchdog” report (TV) where a number of girls had bought stiletto shoes, and in each case the heel had broke off, challenging the shop the reporter was told – these shoes are designed as fashion styles, not designed for continual wear! - QED! :lol: The second point is that there is a large variance in feet, yet we purchase based only on one dimension – the length, as a child every time I was taken for shoes, the assistant measured length, and width and provided shoes to suit, by the time I was a teenager “that was only for kids”. I think a lot of issues come from a poor choice of shoe by the wearer – for example I have a low ankle, and as a child every pair of shoes had to have the side cut down & re-stitched so it would not rub the skin, - court shoes with heels don’t cause this because the slope of the foot provides clearance! (See I am even anatomically designed for high heels! :lol: ) – To this day, if I wear “flats” such as my safety shoes, I have this problem. Court shoes are extremely comfortable for me, but if I choose “strappy” shoes I have to be really careful as the straps can hurt after time – yet another pair – seemingly identical are fine, - just small differences cause such a change – yet I have friends who find the opposite courts are a torture for them. ;) The third point is in the way shoes are purchased – we look at the style and then try the fit for 10 seconds! - Hardly an exhaustive test for suitability. In addition many shoes are bought mail order – given the wide variety of feet the chances of a good fit are small here! :lol: Another point – more for the men here, is that female shoe styles are designed with the smaller fit in mind, designed for say a size 4-5, so as shoe sizes spread away from this the design becomes somewhat inappropriate – for example some of my “larger” friends both in terms of shoe size and figure steer away from high heels, due to the extra weight which is concentrated in local areas of the foot, due to the combination of shoe slope, and their larger size – so I think for a larger male with larger feet it is less comfortable from a smaller female with smaller feet. I think the final point is that many of the shoes on sale today are just plain C**P! - Cheep and badly designed! – I have had some, generally bought mail order which are unusable! In each case the heel does not form a right angle with the floor – instead it slopes inward – so feels really bad, and of course breaks easily. High heels can be well made, but only if you are prepared to buy expensive well designed shoes, unfortunatly one may never realise this, if the only options are the C**P in the shops. :D:lol: As a point, I think badly made shoes are just for cheapness, for example, above I mentioned the heel forming an inward angle rather than a right angle and providing support, I think this is caused because they stock say a 4” heel with the top slope suitable for a size 5 shoe, in which case the angle is correct and the shoe supports the foot well, however for say size 6 shoe, they will not stock the correct heel instead they will use the smaller size, hence it slopes inward, in well made shoes they would either stock a wider range of heels, or use the larger size (say from a size 7) and cut the leather differently, and provide additional curve to the shoe such that it supports the foot correctly. Sorry for the long post, but in summary I think the problems are caused by a combination of: Style driven by fashion almost eliminating function. Limited choices of fit available – Adult shoes are a compromise (unlike kid’s shoes) Poor choice of purchasing – we do not really check the suitability. Unsuitable design – a one design fits all sizes is not correct. Poor quality – economies in design and manufacture result in unsuitable shoes. All of these can be cured of course the problem is the cost! – I tend to find a shoe design, which suits, in quality, style and fit; then stock-up! BB

Firstly, the style is driven by fashion – which is not a choice for the majority of us, after all if I go down any high street and look in the shoe shops, every shop is selling identical items, and even within each shop, the choice is limited, sure there are 100’s of shoe “styles” – but in reality there is not a wide actual choice, for example at the moment they are ALL pointy toe, they ALL have a choice of 2-3 buckle types…

There are only two fashion features that influence comfort and safety: ankle straps and very thick soles. Ankle straps improve comfort and safety. Very thick soles (platform shoes) are dangerous. You can easily find ready made shoes that have ankle straps and thin soles.

Women like pointed shoes. Men hate them no matter who wears them.

The shoes are “designed” as fashion items not items to actually wear! – A few years back, I remember a “Watchdog” report (TV) where a number of girls had bought stiletto shoes, and in each case the heel had broke off, challenging the shop the reporter was told – these shoes are designed as fashion styles, not designed for continual wear! - QED! :D

The second point is that there is a large variance in feet, yet we purchase based only on one dimension – the length, as a child every time I was taken for shoes, the assistant measured length, and width and provided shoes to suit, by the time I was a teenager “that was only for kids”.

There is no demand for comfortable, durable, good quality high heel shoes. Women who buy high heel shoes do not care how the shoes are made or what materials they are made of. (The same trend is in politics - cheap yet fashionable politicians rule the world.) ;)

Court shoes are extremely comfortable for me, but if I choose “strappy” shoes I have to be really careful as the straps can hurt after time – yet another pair – seemingly identical are fine, - just small differences cause such a change – yet I have friends who find the opposite courts are a torture for them. :lol:

Cobblers can stretch the toeboxes and the straps for a small fee.

Shoemakers can make perfect shoes for you if you know how good shoes are made.

There are only two fashion features that influence comfort and safety: ankle straps and very thick soles. Ankle straps improve comfort and safety.

Can't see the point here - ankle straps on court shoes are extremely uncomfortable for me, and why safer? - A correctly fitting shoe does not slip off - but if the heel gets caught (in a paving gap for example) it does allow the foot to slip out a bit, with a strap I have seen one girl nearly cripple herself as she was wrenched back by the foot when the heel got caught - are these the only two fashion features affecting safety/comfort - I doubt it - surely a broad heel is safer and more comfortable than a stiletto (although I prefer the stiletto)!

None of my friends like the pointed shoe, they are awful to wear, yet on here a number of men have commented the pointed shoe is sexy.

Women who buy high heel shoes do not care how the shoes are made or what materials they are made of.

I don't agree with this, most of my friends either buy expensive leather well made shoes (although I think I am the only one who buys custom made), or limit their choice to the better designed end, the problem is that a pair of shoes cost £10 or less, but a pair of well made costs over £100, and true custom is in the £200 mark - that's over a weeks pay for someone working in a shop like McDonalds etc. so for most people it's not a matter of not caring, more a matter of no being able to afford them.

And of course if you are limited to the budget end of the market - it's difficult to understand what the quality end really means.

Cobblers can stretch the toeboxes and the straps for a small fee.

Not always the case - most cobblers will not touch the C**P shoes from the cheaper end of the market as they know any attempt at stretching will tear the pu material, or the stitching apart! In addition, for me no amount of strap stretching will cure a badly positioned strap.

I agree that one may buy very good quality shoes that are comfortable and will last for years – for a price, and of course one may buy true custom made which are the best and are of course the most expensive.

I tend to buy reasonable quality for shoes I will wear infrequently, expensive ones for general wear, and custom made (standard-last) for the ones I wear all day every day.

I have yet to buy custom-lasts, for me with my choice of style (standard court) the standard-last made shoes are fine.

BB

Can't see the point here - ankle straps on court shoes are extremely uncomfortable for me, and why safer? - A correctly fitting shoe does not slip off - but if the heel gets caught (in a paving gap for example) it does allow the foot to slip out a bit, with a strap I have seen one girl nearly cripple herself as she was wrenched back by the foot when the heel got caught - are these the only two fashion features affecting safety/comfort - I doubt it - surely a broad heel is safer and more comfortable than a stiletto (although I prefer the stiletto)!

A comfortable shoe fits loosely, so that your toes are not squeezed. If there is no ankle strap, the pump/court shoe falls off unless you hold it with your toes above ground, which is not comfortable. I agree that platform shoe and ankle strap is a dangerous combination, but I cannot imagine how the ankle strap makes the shoe dangerous when the sole is thin. I broke a 6" heel on stairs - the ankle strap did no harm. The fact that ankle straps are extremely uncomfortable for you is unusual and maybe related to your low ankles. Well designed ankle straps fit loosely, so they cannot cause discomfort.

None of my friends like the pointed shoe, they are awful to wear, yet on here a number of men have commented the pointed shoe is sexy.

I quoted a survey published in New York Times.

Women who buy high heel shoes do not care how the shoes are made or what materials they are made of.

I don't agree with this, most of my friends either buy expensive leather well made shoes (although I think I am the only one who buys custom made), or limit their choice to the better designed end, the problem is that a pair of shoes cost £10 or less, but a pair of well made costs over £100, and true custom is in the £200 mark - that's over a weeks pay for someone working in a shop like McDonalds etc. so for most people it's not a matter of not caring, more a matter of no being able to afford them.

How do they know that the shoes are well made? Is there a specification sheet in the shoe box, or is it just the expensive appearance?

In addition, for me no amount of strap stretching will cure a badly positioned strap.

I agree.

I agree that one may buy very good quality shoes that are comfortable and will last for years – for a price, and of course one may buy true custom made which are the best and are of course the most expensive.

If you are going to order custom made shoes, discuss all technical details before the shoes are made to make sure that you will get the quality you deserve.

I have yet to buy custom-lasts, for me with my choice of style (standard court) the standard-last made shoes are fine.

This is good news, but if I were you, I would research the inserts under the ball of the foot. Ready made inserts help a little. Custom made, relatively rigid inserts help a lot and last much longer.

I prefer a small platform to a thin sole, as the molded platform shoe is rigid and does not twist, allowing the heel to cant over to one side even when the sole is flat on the ground. The taller platform shoes are much more common in the larger sizes (in sandals) and more comfortable. But, they are not very stable on soft or uneven surfaces, as I know from experience.

How do they know that the shoes are well made? Is there a specification sheet in the shoe box, or is it just the expensive appearance?

err.. perhaps they look at the construction, the stiching, how stable the heel is, how soft the leather is? ;)

people have eyes and brains, you know...

To date, ready made womens high heeled boots are the most confortable footwear I have ever worn, so I'm not knocking them.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

It's fashion, fashion, fashion...the shoes have to look nice in the window, and feel good for the 10 seconds they are on. I make the mistake all the time. **I need a pair of heels for an event **I find a pair that goes well with the outfit I bought **They fit well when I triy them on **I wear them for the first time to the event for the evening **1/2 way through the evening my feet are killing me **I deal with it cause I have to now that I am there **I take them off on going home in the car (maybe walking to the car) **I put them in closet **They stay there until I might need them for another event sounds dumb but I do it all the time!...hehe

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

I must be different as I find that ready made high heeled shoes and high heeled boots are quite comfortable when I get the proper fit. I have worn them for decades and still do and I have no problems wearing them for long hours quite comfortably. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I must be different as I find that ready made high heeled shoes and high heeled boots are quite comfortable when I get the proper fit. I have worn them for decades and still do and I have no problems wearing them for long hours quite comfortably.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

It's the modern attitude, quantity over quality.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Keep in mind: Except for the exceptional woman (like our lovely ladies here), most wear them because they "have" to (formal wear, business wear, etc). Any guy wearing heels is because he WANTS to wear them and takes any discomfort in stride (pun intended). Scotty

It gave me an idea: - If men could be socially accepted as heel wearers as women wear pants; - Women could be free to wear what they want at their feet; - Lower heels or flats for the women who want to; - EVERYBODY WOULD BE HAPPY!!! Down to the dress code! What a campaign!!! Heels for all! Flavio.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

You mention some very good points! I'll take them in turn:

Getting back to the original question..

I think there are a number of reasons

Firstly, the style is driven by fashion – which is not a choice for the majority of us, after all if I go down any high street and look in the shoe shops, every shop is selling identical items, and even within each shop, the choice is limited, sure there are 100’s of shoe “styles” – but in reality there is not a wide actual choice, for example at the moment they are ALL pointy toe, they ALL have a choice of 2-3 buckle types… The shoes are “designed” as fashion items not items to actually wear! – A few years back, I remember a “Watchdog” report (TV) where a number of girls had bought stiletto shoes, and in each case the heel had broke off, challenging the shop the reporter was told – these shoes are designed as fashion styles, not designed for continual wear! - QED! :lol:

Agreed. Choice exists only so long as both the fit and style of what an individual prefers is available. The most disturbing trend I see here is that you'll find a general shoe design that's "copied" throughout most manufacturers, but at the expense of the variety of selection. Then again, this is driven by the buyers. Shoe manufacturers are out there to make money, not to "drive the fashion industry."

The second point is that there is a large variance in feet, yet we purchase based only on one dimension – the length, as a child every time I was taken for shoes, the assistant measured length, and width and provided shoes to suit, by the time I was a teenager “that was only for kids”.

Agreed. Fortunately, there's a rapid growth in the custom clothing market, where one's body is measured and clothes are produced to match the body.

It's only a matter of time before shoe manufacturers adopt the same with respect to shoes. "Want that in a 13EEE? No problem. We'll have it delivered to your door in 2 weeks.

dr1819 I agree with you sentiments exactly, however in practice it’s more difficult, after all I need shoes to go to work etc. – so my choices are limited to what is in the high street shops, or if I can afford it – what I can buy from the better quality stores. Millions of girls shop every weekend looking for shoes for a wedding/holiday/party/etc. they cannot afford custom made so what’s the choice? Either they buy a design that’s not quite so comfortable, or well made, or even a design they don’t really like (but it’s the fashion) OR they go on their new date in a beautiful gown-less evening strap (something like that anyhow ;) ), a lovely handbag and make-up, hair especially done and a pair of comfortable training shoes! :lol: BB

Millions of girls shop every weekend looking for shoes for a wedding/holiday/party/etc. they cannot afford custom made so what’s the choice?

Either they buy a design that’s not quite so comfortable, or well made, or even a design they don’t really like (but it’s the fashion)

OR

they go on their new date in a beautiful gown-less evening strap (something like that anyhow ;) ), a lovely handbag and make-up, hair especially done and a pair of comfortable training shoes! :lol:

BB

If you cannot afford comfortable, sturdy high heel shoes, the only rational choice is buying comfortable, ready-made sport shoes. (My favorite brand of ready-made sport shoes is New Balance.) Good, custom made high heel shoes are as comfortable as good sport shoes. Their heels do not bend or break when you run in them. Women who claim that their ready-made high heel shoes are comfortable really mean that these shoes are much less comfortable than good sport shoes, but they are more comfortable than other high heel shoes that they bought before.

Although it is possible to find ready-made high heel shoes in the right length and width, these shoes do not have enough room in the toebox for custom-made insert under the ball of the foot, and their heels are usually flimsy. Cheap, wobbly high heel shoes maim your feet and your reputation. High heel shoes are really meant for those who can afford the custom-made shoes, and are smart enough to know how comfortable high heel shoes are made.

My definition of high heel shoes is the shoes that force the front/top surface of your feet into vertical position. If you wear ready-made low heel shoes, you may find ready-made low heel shoes that are comfortable after you place ready-made inserts under the balls of your feet.

My point is that so long as anyone, women or men, are willing to settle for shoes that aren't of good quality and fit, manufacturers will continue to make them. If you want manufacturers to change their standards, take the time to limit your purchases to shoes that are comfortable, well-made, stylish, and are a joy to wear. Your feet deserve nothing less!

Eww, thats just plain freaky. But in all reality pointed toe shoes are still biased toward your big toe. If you don't believe me put them on reversed (left on right and vice vera).

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.