My new email address

• 4 weeks later...

WOW - someone else on gmail! I have invites available as well if anyone wants them. I like gmail - but don't know many others on it. - I find it a pity you need to log on to the site - I prefer accounts where you can just use outlook direct to the pop server. If it wasn't for that I would use it all the time for my email. BB

I have seen e-mail addresses posted on Web sites as: "someone AT somenetwork DOT whatever" -- instead of the more familiar: "someone@somenetwork.whatever" -- presumably to foil spammers. Does this work? And would it work here? Of course, it will probably be about another fifteen minutes before the spammers modify their data mining packages to recognize the obfuscated e-mail addresses. :D

Have a happy time!

Yes jmc, it works! Spammers want their life easy, otherwise they would not be spammers. Data mining applications search the web following link to link exactly the way google and yahoo search engines do. Everytime that kind of program find an "@" in a page it looks for the words in the end and starts to ping and check if the server exists. If the ping is replyied it's a server and the words before the "@" should be the user. Well done, it's an e-mail address. Too easily it will be added to a large list. Of course you can change the way that program will look, for example, if it finds an "AT" BUT it's a lot more difficult since there's no standard for writing manually like an e-mail address has. You can write "meATsomewhereDOTcom" or "me AT somewhere DOT com" or in another language like portuguese "me ARROBA somewhere PONTO com" and a data mining like that is almost possible but too difficult for lazy people like spammers since there are infinite possibilities. Spammers sucks, just to fix.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.