London heelmeet Sat 19th Nov

xaphod

Hells Bells, folks - I've been shafted by Ryan Air. Well before my flight, I showed with my passport, the same one I've used to travel to well over a dozen countries over the last 16 years (including the U.K.) only to discover that even though it's accepted everywhere else, including Germany, the U.K., and the U.S.A., and by at least eight different airlines I can remember, it's not accepted on THEIR airline. Ryan Air. And they wanted to keep the money. I argued (even very politely!) until I was blue in the face, but they were adament, so I walked outside, called Heelfan, through whom I'd coordinated a hotel, and broke the news. Then, I walked back inside, called my bank on my cell phone, and explained the situation to the chief supervisor who at one point threatened to call security. I told him if he did that Ryan Air would loose my and at least several other people's business forever. He relented, and when the bank rep asked to speak with him and he refused, the bank rep said, "that's good enough for me. Wait a minute..." A minute later he said "it's done. We've reversed the charge." I thanked them, and the supervisor asked me what was up. When I told him the charge had been reversed, he became livid and said, "you can't do that!" I said, "I didn't do anything. You failed you fulfill your contactual obligations and my bank reversed the charges because of it." He stormed off and I left, threatening something about calling security and I left. I checked with other airlines for a flight early Saturday, but couldn't find anything at this late date anywhere close to the earlier flight I'd booked. But I did find several flights, including one with British Airways, which were only about $15 more expensive than Ryan Air's flight. Hell, that's peanuts compared to what I went through this evening!!! I other words, please accept my apologies for not being able to make it. This is the first time I've ever encountered an airline that refused credentials acceptable for worldwide travel in all NATO countries and nearly 200 more besides. Sounds like a scam job, to me!

I've been giving it some thought and perhaps they [Ryanair] were worried that some terrorist would try to blow up the plane to try to get at you! Absolutely illogical and stupid I know but it's the only feasible reason I can think of unless the flight was overbooked so used it as an excuse to bump you and keep the fare. There is nothing on their website to indicate that your passport would be invalid.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What's different between the dr1819 photo in the passport and the dr1819 that was at Ryan Air at the airport? Anything?

There are actually three types of passports issued by the U.S. government. Two are certified for leisure travel, but I was using the leisure-travel passport (issued to governmental employees or contractors) with which they weren't familiar. It looks nearly identical, but they've decided they will take the one and not the other.

The U.K. takes all three, as does Germany, all of the EU, all NATO countries, and many other non-NATO countries.

So the problem had absolutely nothing to do with entry/exit requirements of host nations, but rests solely with Ryan Air.

I've since talked with a friend of mine who flew for several German airlines for many years, and he expressed his grave concerns about Ryan Air's safety, primarily because they load their aircraft to the max. Evidently they schedule the pax, but with a 12 kilo limit. If you go over that, you pay through through the nose because you're bumping their precious "next day air" contracted cargo.

Which brings up another good point - heard all the stuff in the news today about the lax security of cargo aboard aircraft? Not pax's baggage, but contracted cargo accepted by the airline (for freight shipping fees, of course) to increase the aircraft's profitability.

Evidently, this is one of Ryan Air's chief tactics, and it results in them taking off at max gross weight all the time, which in an emergency condition can lead to som serious handling/control issues.

Late Friday night I found another fare for just $50 more, so in the future I'll steer WELL CLEAR of Ryan Air and just go to Frankfurt, instead.

Time to say a few words about our heelmeet. Seven of us appeared at Starbucks, dr1819 phoning heelfan with woes of disasterous service by Ryan Air. I know of seven of us who will now think twice about using this bunch of ******s. Daz and Si rendezvous worked out fine (a week after Si's dry run !). Calv got here on the train. Heelfan appeared in flats ! ..... he had dropped a lump of concrete on his foot, so was hobbling. Firefox and Dr Shoe made it too. We set off down Oxford St, the pace dictated by hobbling Heelfan and Dr S who had lots of money burning a hole in his pocket ..... how many pairs did you buy in the end ???? By late lunch we had acquired another two (J & L visiting from Canada), but not yet reached half-way. It was quite a shock, we hadn't seen J for a couple of years, or his wife, L, for whom this was a first. Ironically, I remembered the conversation we had in Birmingham the last time we met which allowed me to get the face into context. L made a pleasant addition to the crew, 'leavening the bread' and telling of their exploits in Canada. We had most of our conversations in shop foyers while Dr S negotiated for shoes. As a change we did a quick hike down South Molton St to Kurt Geiger (from where I had bought my boots the previous year). L was like a kid in an expensive candy store with the likes of Hobbs, LK Bennet and Browns all within a few yards, but J didn't have to get his wallet out beyond more coffee at yet another Starbucks. Time was becoming late, so various people went their separate ways, leaving me and Calv to wander around Selfridges and then repare to the Reef Bar on Waterloo Station. (Calv had a fixed-time rail ticket at 2130). a

Yes, a most successful and enjoyable Heel-Meet (except for me with injured foot in the dreaded flatties!). Dr. Shoe gave me a ring yesterday to say how much he enjoyed it - buying great boots and enjoying the company and nice lunch etc. The two surprise members who joined the group were Red Mountain and Mrs. Red Mountain. Red Mountain had been to Canada to do a filmmaking course, and for one of his subjects chose (yes, you've guessed it!): Men in High Heels! He gave out two discs of the film to other members of the Heel-Meet, so I look forward to seeing it next in line. Firefox took a number of photos during the Heel-Meet. I hope we will see him doing his own report here and posting some of the shots. Oh, and a passer-by in Oxford Street was overheard saying into his mobile phone "You'll never guess what I've just seen - a MAN IN HIGH HEELS!". Probably alluding to Xaphod who, as usual was blazing the trail in a great pair of boots with 5" slim (almost stiletto) heels. Well, a very good nine-member Heel-meet of the usual "hard core" of us, but our only sadness was how much enjoyment many of you other members were missing by being absent. Don't be faint-hearted everyone - come and join us on future Heel-Meets. The next UK one will probably be after Christmas now - at Peachy Shoes, Bristol hosted by proprietress Melanie (my daughter) in her 5.5" heels. Xaphod has already frozen sufficient of his garden's damsons to bake another damson pie for the buffet! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

xaphond, Heelfan, and daz - Thank you for sharing with me the details of your meet! It's wonderful that you had a little something to leaven the dough, too. Perhaps a few more girlfriends or SOs could tag along next time. Heelfan - I'm very sorry to hear about your foot! I enjoyed our conversation on the phone, as trying a time as it was, and your words of sympathy. I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet any of you in person, but am looking forward to the next time when I can make it, probably (need to confirm this, though) either 22 or 29 of April 06. Cheers!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet any of you in person, but am looking forward to the next time when I can make it, probably (need to confirm this, though) either 22 or 29 of April 06.

Cheers!

I'll put a mental postit in the back of my head for those dates.

Oh, forgot to say about Waterloo station ....

.... Saturday was the rugby match (football for US) between England and the All-Blacks (New Zealand). Waterloo was full of rugby fans catching the train to Twickenham and the bar had quite a few beefy guys drinking beer when Calv and I stopped off for a pint in the evening. There were a few nudges and glances at my skirt and heels, but not a single stupid comment. Compare that reaction with what would be expcected from a bar full of football (soccer) fans.

Xa

Actually, I didn't spend as much on boots as folk think, £160 or so and only bought 3 pairs though I would have bought more if they had fit! I really enjoyed travelling down in my snakeskin stiletto knee boots and now regret not wearing them outside my jeans or with the cuffs rolled up. It was a shame that Heelfan had to leave us so early.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firefox has got a good collection of shots from that Nov 05 London Heel-Meet, and he has promised to post them here. I'm also eagerly awaiting the pics. However, he's a very busy chap what with moderating three sites and a busy day job and all his other evening pursuits (whist and volleyball clubs etc.). Still, perhaps if we all ask you very nicely again FF? . . . . . . . Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

• 1 year later...

Yes, a most successful and enjoyable Heel-Meet (except for me with injured foot in the dreaded flatties!).

Dr. Shoe gave me a ring yesterday to say how much he enjoyed it - buying great boots and enjoying the company and nice lunch etc.

The two surprise members who joined the group were Red Mountain and Mrs. Red Mountain. Red Mountain had been to Canada to do a filmmaking course, and for one of his subjects chose (yes, you've guessed it!): Men in High Heels! He gave out two discs of the film to other members of the Heel-Meet, so I look forward to seeing it next in line.

....snip....

Cheers, Heelfan

Does anyone here know Red Mountain? Or how to get in touch with him?

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.