Ouch!

Jaiden

Question

I just recieved a new pair of 5" oxford heels and they fit great except that it is quite painful to stand in them. There's a sharp pain on the back side of the ball of my foot. It feels like my feet don't fit the contour of the arch. My heels fit in the heel cup good and then there's a gap between the middle of of my foot and the arch of the shoe, and then the balls of my feet hit the toe box ahead of where the shoe flattens out. Does anyone have any idea how I can make this feel better?

http://www.pierresilber.com/5oxford.html

8 answers to this question

Jaiden:-) The only suggestion that I may have...... There are pads available that are placed into the shoe that support the ball of the foot and would keep it from sliding forward a bit and your arch should fit the arch of the shoe a bit better. Then again...a 5" heel may be too high for the shape of your foot, or you may have an extremely high arch. With a little more information...maybe we could help you a bit more. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I just recieved a new pair of 5" oxford heels and they fit great except that it is quite painful to stand in them. There's a sharp pain on the back side of the ball of my foot. It feels like my feet don't fit the contour of the arch. My heels fit in the heel cup good and then there's a gap between the middle of of my foot and the arch of the shoe, and then the balls of my feet hit the toe box ahead of where the shoe flattens out. Does anyone have any idea how I can make this feel better?

http://www.pierresilber.com/5oxford.html

Welcome to the world of women's shoes. I don't know why I wear them and put myself through this pain, but it just seems to be something I have to do.

Once I got accostumed to high heels I don't feel any more pain wearing them. What I have to say is if a shoe is well made, you should not feel any pain. Custom shoes are the best if they are well made, they follow the shape of your arches and that's ok. What I saw in the shoes you bought, if I'm right, is that they are man made materials in China (for example, the trademark "The Highest Heel"). Those shoes are not so well made, however, they are strong shoes and don't get ugly after sometime wearing them. The sugestion, if this is the case, is to wear them the most you can, walking around, they should feel better after some days. Other thingh is if the heel height is too high for you, in this case try to wear something lower to get accostumed and go trying your oxfords sometimes. Ooops, I was wondering, those oxfords are nice to watch, I hope I need a pair of those in my collection! Congratulations! Heels for all! Flavio.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

There is always a gap between the arch of the shoe and the footbed, this is normal and the shoes would be uncomfortable if this didn't happen. It sounds as if this is your first serious heels and I feel that you should have started with 4" or 4.5".

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wouldn't say that I'm a 'heel connisure' (however that's spelled) but I've worn a pair or two before. I have a pair of 3" stiletto boots that I've worn out and spent hours at a time in standing at bars, and in line at various events. I also have a pair of 7" stiletto sandals with 2" platforms that are uncomfortable but not painful. 5" is a high heel but being a size 14, the angle isn't that steep.

3/4-length supports might help, but sadly, those shoes are built to "barely" fit anyone's foot, and not well at that. My advice is to go up a size and wear a thick sock, or find a real shoe with a lower heel, a rounder toe, and a real arch support. You can find many heels fitting this description in sizes to 13 and higher at Zappos. Good hunting!

Try a Dr. Scholl's or equivalent arch support in the shoe. You can get them in any drug store or supermarket, usually. I have them in my boots, and they help quite a bit. That's one reason I like the higher heeled platform shoes, as they have a molded shape and tend to have more arch support.