In Her Shoes

It features Cameron Diaz, Toni Collette and Shirley MacLaine. Diaz and Collette play sisters, Diaz a partyanimal who can't hold down a job and Collette an attorney. Shirley MacLaine plays their grandmother who lives in a retirement community in Florida. The very first shot is a close-up of Diaz in black stilettos. Collette has a whole closet full of shoes (nothing like Imelda Marcos) and Diaz is known to borrow a pair here and there. I don't want to give everything away, so I'll stop here.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

Posted Image

Found a little article relating to this film thats heel related from dailyitem.com

In her shoes: Movie costume designer recruits the high-heel Dream Team

NEW YORK AP — Women might have many rocky relationships in their lives, even in their closets. Skinny jeans, thong underwear, wavy hair and tans are great when they're good but can turn into enemies on a moment's notice. When it comes to shoes, though, the love affair sails smoothly.

Could there be any reaction other than adoration to a pair of jet-black, super-shiny Stella McCartney patent leather pumps with scalloped edges that teeter on 4 1/2-inch heels?

"Once the high heel was invented — it began appearing at the end of the 16th century or early 17th century, women become pretty interested in transformative powers of high heels. ... They say 'status,' 'sexuality,' 'sexual appeal' and 'femininity' all at once," says Elizabeth Semmelhack, curator of the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto.

Those McCartney patent pumps are the first thing the audience sees in the new movie "In Her Shoes" and they represent the thing that women who like high-heel shoes — and that's a lot of women — have in common: They're an instant lift when it comes to one's place in the world.

"Shoes are historically and traditionally caught up with sexuality. What kind of shoe you wear is an identifying mark of a woman," says Sophie de Rakoff, the film's costume designer.

Toni Collette's film character, a mediocre-looking Rose Feller, sums up women's attraction to the all-important accessory with, "I guess, when I feel sad, I like to treat myself to something. Clothes never look good, food just makes me fatter ... shoes always fit."

"That's universal thinking among women," says de Rakoff. "And a good pair of shoes can tip a look one way, and a bad pair can go the other way. If you don't have $2,000 to spend on a Lanvin dress, you can spend $300 on great shoes. You can wear them more often and they don't date as quickly."

Rose collects shoes because they're part of the fantasy life she wants to lead. She's successful and can afford a closet full of the most stylish stilettos. Unfortunately she has nowhere to wear them.

Her flaky, irresponsible and beautiful sister Maggie, played by Cameron Diaz, has lots of places to parade around in her sister's shoes. But you can be sure she has none of her own, except a beat-up pair of canvas sneakers.

Knowing that Rose was the character buying all the shoes gave de Rakoff, whose other credits include "Legally Blonde" and "Just Like Heaven," the opportunity to recruit a Dream Team roster: Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin, Chanel, Delman, among others.

"It was important to pick well-established, well-recognized brands. They're the shoes that when you're walking around the department store you say, 'I wish I had $600 to buy those shoes.'"

Unfortunately, de Rakoff says, the budget didn't allow for the $250,000 she would've liked to spend on shoes.

That resulted in a mix of product placements, rented shoes from costume shops and even shoes from her own collection. "I have very small feet. Somehow Cameron managed to jam her feet in there, though. I'm a 7 and she has these long skinny feet. I was impressed," de Rakoff says with a laugh.

Any shoe that was important to the film, such as the black Jimmy Choo Jacey pump with grommets that symbolizes the sisters' relationship when its heel breaks, gets archived with the studio. "It was a shoe that worked for both girls in both their circumstances. It was groovy enough for Cameron to wear and good enough for Toni to wear to a wedding," de Rakoff explains.

For another important wedding shoe, this one to be worn by the bride, de Rakoff had half a dozen pairs made from a 1950s pattern so they would be historically correct as if passed down through generations. She couldn't use actual '50s shoes because women's feet tended to be smaller then and they wouldn't have fit either of the movie's stars. She copied all the details, from the peeptoe front to the slingback strap. "It wasn't a super-skinny stiletto. They wore heels thicker then, and it was a 3-inch heel not a 4-inch. And it had to be satin. Satin has been used for bridal shoes forever," she says.

Most decades-old high-heeled shoes would be perfectly appropriate at any cocktail party today, says the Bata Museum's Semmelhack, who just put together the exhibit "Icon of Elegance: Influential Shoe Designers of the 20th Century."

When Roger Vivier created the stiletto in the early '50s, he created an instant design classic. Only during the '60s did young women revolt against high heels. Instead, they wore schoolgirl-style shoes with chunky heels and Mary-Jane straps, Semmelhack says, "but by the disco era, everyone was wearing stilettos again."

They owe their continuing popularity to the statement they make.

"You can be transformed from a soccer mom to a diva with a pair of Christian Louboutins, even if you're in the same T-shirt and jeans," Semmelhack says.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...