speed lacing and zipping

I see so many pairs of boots that are VERY beautiful until I see a zipper on the inside. I know the discussion has come up before about zippers in conjunction with speed laces and how it's basically and oxymoron. I was wondering if there is anyway to get a zipper taken out of a pair of boots or would it be better to just buy a pair that was custom made without the zipper. That is on the assumption that one cannot find a pair already made without the zipper. A prime example would be the granny boots on another topic. They are BEAUTIFUL...except for that damn zipper.

• 2 weeks later...

an Idea... could you find some leather to match the shaft of the boot/ and have a shoe repairer cover the zipper to keep you from using it, or thinking about using it? HUMMnn It would take a bit of work, mainly to match the leather or have it dyed. I have never thought about it until now, I will go back under my rock, and hear what happens. I know it would take some craftsman ship, but It will depend upon what you expect.

• 2 weeks later...

bbloverEric i have a pair of lace up thigh boots that don't have a zipper, and for me they are the boots that get used the least because of the sheer amount of time it takes to get into and out of them. i have the same issue with a pair of ankle length boots i have. it is a pain not having a zipper!. believe me once u try a pair of boots without a zipper u will know wot i mean. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

Nhoj, do your boots have ski hooks or D-rings / eyelets? I have a pair of knee boots with D-rings that I don't wear that often because it takes so long to get into them. Shame really, I love them once they're on! Chris (edited for typo)

chris my boots have a few eyelets at the bottum and then hook all the way to the top where there is a final pair of eyelets, and like u i love them once on, but it is just getting them on, and then off again when u wont to. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

Nhoj62:-) Now you know why I never buy lace-up boots. I prefer to stick to boots with zippers. I have one pair of over-the-knee stretch boots that are pull-ups and it takes a while to get them on, but not as long as the lace-ups. Give me zippers anytime. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Well, now I see the whole picture. I guess I should actually wear some before I complain about them. They still don't look as good to me but maybe my view will change when I can get my own. I wonder if there is a good way to hide the zippers without much problem.

I agree with you that laced boots look better without zips, which is why I looked for a pair without. I've not tried wearing boots with ski hooks though, they'd probably be faster to lace up than D rings.

I used to have a pair of these:

Posted Image

which were too tight for may calf. The only way to get into them was to undo the top three buckles, loosen the lacing, unzip the boot and insert foot, zip up, lace them as tightly as possible, then buckle the straps. It was more like a form of bondage than footwear!

Chris

Dawn, you're right. The annoying thing is that they would have been fine if the straps were just a little longer, one more hole for the buckle and they'd have fitted nicely. In a way it was nice to wear a pair that fitted so tightly, but they just got uncomfortable after half an hour or so. Chris