My Latest Outing In Heels

JeffB

Well, on Saturday, I journeyed to the mall in my long jeans and my near 4 inch heeled black Payless "Maya" ankle boots for an outing. The mall in question was quite large and was packed with people, everyone from little kids to senior citizens, and I made a point of traversing the entire place, yet no one batted an eyelash or said anything to me for the almost six hours (interspersed with a movie) I was there.

I know people could see and hear the heels when I walked, yet nothing at all happened, not even when I sat down at a bench and purposely crossed my legs so passersby could see the boots. Still nothing. To tell you the truth, I was disappointed at that, but then, that only served to reinforce my opinion that people are often too wrapped up in their own affairs to notcie the obvious, not even when it stares you right in the face.

Still, the outing was enjoyable, and fun, and is something I will try again soon. But the next time, I'll wear those Maya boots which I also have in tan, something I'm sure will get noticed!

;)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Sounds like you had a good day, Jeff. I find myself doing similar activities in order to make my boots more obvious. I,ve come to exactly the same conclusion as you.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

JeffB-

Shafted-

I know exactly what you are talking about. Even my thigh boots get little reaction. However, I will still caution against becoming complacent. Carefully pick where you go heeling.

My observations of people put folks into several categories:

People too wrapped up in their own affairs to notice the obvious (JeffBs observation)

People that notice and don’t care

People that notice and wish they hadn’t

Giggly girls and insulting guys

I have mentioned in other posts, high heels are an attention getting device. Women understand that and that’s why they wear them. Us guys are just catching on and were here lamenting that it doesn’t work as well for us.

The next question is what kind of reaction are women trying to get by wearing high heels? Is that the same reaction us guys want when we wear heels? I don’t have an answer to either question and would welcome some discussion. The caution is, “Be careful of what you ask for”.

But after all the analysis, going out in heels is still fun.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

My observations of people put folks into several categories:

People too wrapped up in their own affairs to notice the obvious (JeffBs observation)

People that notice and don’t care

People that notice and wish they hadn’t

Giggly girls and insulting guys

Very intelligent observations, thighbootguy, and oh so right as I've encountered all four instances over the last few years. But I went into each outing expecting such reactions so they don't take me by surprise anymore. However, I don't wear heels to attract attention, I wear them simply because I love them, if someone of the opposite sex wishes to take some sort interest in me, so much the better, but that not why I do what I do. I'm in heels strictly for the enjoyment.

;)

Nice going, Jeff. It's surprising that even when you go out of your way not to hide your heels, people either don't notice or don't visibly react. Yesterday evening my wife and I went to our favorite pizza parlor for a night of Pepperoni Pizza (with extra sauce, green peppers, mushrooms, sweet onions and Italian sausage) a pitcher of beer and an appearance by one of the better local bluegrass bands. Just before we left the house, I decided to change my footwear from the navy blue Charles Jordan pumps (4” heels) that I wore the last couple of times we went there, to my J-Lo boots (4½” heels and pointed toes). While my wife wasn’t particularly concerned about the boots or heel height, she thought the color (Camel Tan) might be a little bold to wear in that crowd. I didn’t think they would be much more obvious than my pumps because I was wearing a pair of Levi Jeans long enough to cover all but the last couple of inches of the heels. We arrived just as the band was beginning to play their first set and a waitress led us through the dimmed dinning room to our favorite section, along the wall on the left side of the stage with a full view of the band. The waitress took our order, and while I was standing up to get something out of my pocket, she looked directly at my boots and asked me how long I had had them. My wife explained that she had bought them for me a couple of winters ago. The waitress then wanted to know if they were comfortable, how high the heels were and where she had purchased them. Although she looked directly at me while she was talking with us, she wasn’t really curious (or, if she was, she didn’t show it) about them being worn by a man. She appeared more interested in the details because she wanted to get a pair for herself. She told us that she had wanted a pair “for the longest time,” but she was going to college and didn’t have much money to spend on “secondary” things -- so she had been “putting off getting a pair.” I mentioned that she could find a pair on eBay if she looked at “Women’s Shoes” for sale and she probably would find several pair in her size (8½) at very reasonable prices. She asked me about shopping on line and bidding on eBay. And, after we talked for several minutes, she said that she would look through the websites tomorrow (today) while at the library doing here class work for next week. She was very attentive and must have told several other waitresses about the boots because two or three others came buy to see if we “needed anything” and check them out.” We finished our pizza got up and walked to the cashier’s desk. My wife went to the “little girls room” while I paid the bill. As I was collecting my change, our waitress came up and thanked me for the tip and said that she really liked my boots and was definitely going to look for a pair on the Internet. Now, over hearing the comment, the girl behind the desk asked: “what boots?” And, when our waitress described my boots to her, she had to come out front and see them for herself. While she was asking all kinds of questions about them, another couple came to pay their bill, and I know they really got a good look at my boots before the cashier assumed her place back behind the counter to wait on them. About then, my wife came back, took my arm and said that we’d better go. Both our waitress and the cashier thanked us for our “indulgence,” the couple trying to pay their bill looked a little confused as I bid them gooed night, opened the door for my wife and we walked confidently across the parking lot to our car. On the drive home my wife commented that she was right, my boots attracted more attention than my pumps would have. But, she said, that it was a “good kind” of attention and she was happy that we were able to explain things to both girls. We got home shortly before midnight and, as I was taking off my boots, I thought “I’ll have to wear them to the restaurant again soon just to see if the waitress found a pair that she liked.” Most surprising to me was that neither the cashier nor the waitress ever said anything about a man wearing high heels. And, if it weren’t for the conversation with these two employees in that crowded dinging room, I wouldn’t have had any reaction to my high heels at all.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

bubba Great story and good details. It looks like your experience could lead to a great future opportunity as well. It seems like you had good rapport with your waitress which probably facilitated any predisposing open mindedness she may already have had. You and your wife presented yourselves with poise, aplomb, and respectful "indulgence," which I'm sure contributed to that rapport. In other words, your poise nurtured her open minded nature. The fact that you were with your wife also adds to the "legitimacy" and validation of our cause too. Great team stewardship for a great cause.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Great story, Bubba. Is it just my imagination or is the number of positive reactions from people increasing?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Jeff Please keep the stories coming--perhaps I can live vicariously through your experiences ;) I can identify with how your car has created more opportunities for you. I used to drive a Toyota Solaris. Then I decided the nyc insurance rates, monthly lease payments and monthly parking costs didn't justify the luxury. While I have a considerable amount of more disposable income now, I am back to your pre car days of mass transportation.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I can fully appreciate your comments about automobiles being expensives. While I am no longer paying car insurance for my children, I still have one hell of an insurance bill for three cars, a truck, motor cycle, two boats and a pick-up truck (I think that's all). -- (it's still cheaper than college tuition for two girls and a boy ;) )

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba, Now your scaring me with THREE girls;) Atleast that is a few years off yet, the oldest will turn 7 in November. Still....guess I need to get the ole savings plan going. Jeff, Great story. Glad your enjoying your new found freedom and outtings. Good luck on getting noticed. Guess I enjoy just the opposite, going out and being able to NOT get noticed. Scotty

Well, I'll certainly do my best to continue relating stories of my outings for all here to enjoy. Having a car has opened new frontiers for high heel outings that just didn't exist before, and I'm certainly enjoying my little expiditions. As for the topic of getting noticed, if it happens, I'm sure it'll make for an interesting experience.

I see some unusual sights at the mall, like the African-American teens and young men wearing oversized jeans with the waistband at the crotch, the goth kids decked out all in black and a punk here and there with a purple, that's right, a PURPLE mohawk! YIKES!! And yet, I imagine I'd make for a bigger oddity to some in my heels than those examples. Go figure. It's all about the mindset.

Perhaps I'll up the ante by wearing tan boots or straight legged jeans or maybe both on my next trip, just to see what will happen, how people will react to me.

Children dressed the way you describe (expressing their individuality?) is much more common than seeing a nice looking man, stylishly dressed and wearing high heels. That's where the "shock" comes from. ;)

Children dressed the way you describe (expressing their individuality?) is much more common than seeing a nice looking man, stylishly dressed and wearing high heels. That's where the "shock" comes from. ;)

Oh, so true, bubba! The examples I mentioned are what one can see on the streets practically any and every day of the week while a man in high heels is about as common as sightings of Elvis. The "shock" comes from the fact that such instances are exceedingly rare, but the more instances you have, the less rare it becomes, and the shock eventually fades away. At least that's the theory!

:lol:

Jeff, keep the stories coming!!! I am encouraged when I hear of others out and about in their various heels.

thanks again!

tightlevisandhhoots

Well, I'll do my very best! I plan on another outing this coming Saturday! I'll keep you and everyone posted on what happens!

;)

Your experiences are always so entertaining, Jeff. Especially from wearing heels at your workplace. I am still in awe of your courage and the ease at which you matriculate throughout the scene in good humor and confidence with such positive results. Can't wait to hear about your forthcoming shopping trip. Thank you for your contributions.

Your experiences are always so entertaining, Jeff. Especially from wearing heels at your workplace. I am still in awe of your courage and the ease at which you matriculate throughout the scene in good humor and confidence with such positive results. Can't wait to hear about your forthcoming shopping trip. Thank you for your contributions.

Thanks for the compliments, Bubba. I appreciate them. Both the courage and ease didn't happen overnight, it took quite some time to acquire both, especially when I made the transition from clunky heeled loafers to pumps and then from there, stilettos, not to mention going from a mere two inches to five which I often sport today.

I worried like crazy about how I would be received by co-workers, especially my supervisors. Would I be laughed at? Humiliated? Threatened with the loss of my job? Fortunately, none of that happened as I was accepted for the shoes I choose to wear. As I've stated previously, it certainly helped to slowly ease my way into those different styles of shoes instead of spring them on the world all at once, plus, my friendly personality and being a hard worker went a long way as well.

In short, I've been very lucky. Now that I have a car, I get to show myself off to the entire world! It's quite thrilling!

;)

Enjoy the outside world Jeff. People will look, and why not? A guy in heels is not something they see everyday. Some will like it, and some won't. In either case they probably won't say anything. Personally if people find me entertaining to look at because I'm wearing heels, I only too happy to entertain them.

JeffB:-) Bubba136:-) Shafted:-) Thighbootguy:-) Et All I must commend you guys for wearing your heels out in public and fully in the open. I too, wear my heels out in the public, but not as openly as you do. I hide my heels under long jeans with only a half to an inch of the heel exposed when standing and much more being exposed when walking and sitting. And there is always the sound of the heels, although some are quieter than others, but I'm sure people know that I'm there. I'm not about to roll up my jean legs to show the entire boot that I'm sporting as some have done. At least, not at this time...maybe later in the future. Who knows? Congrats and cudos to you all for your bravery in being who you are and doing what you do to further our cause. And I do think that we are all being accepted more now than in the past. Right now, I'm not back to my street-heeling just yet until I get stronger and have more balance after my stroke. I am wearing my boots here at home and have been since the first day out of the hospital...even though I'm not out street-heeling in public with you guys, you all know I'm there in spirit as the spirit is still strong even though the body isn't yet. I do fully intend to get back to heeling in public again, and with Mickey by my side as soon as she is able. Keep the stories coming as we both do enjoy them and watching your progress through them. Mickey just had the stitches taken out of her foot today and is wearing a boot on both feet for now and using a walker to keep her a bit mobile. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dawn, It's good to hear that you and Mickey are both slowly recovering. I know that you will always be with us in spirit, no matter what. There may never be a lot of men wearing high heels, but we will be accepted.

Dawn: I hope you and Mickey will be out and about real soon! :lol:

In the meantime, I went on another excursion to the mall in heels today. Below is a link to a picture of what I wore there:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v667/JeffB1959/?action=view&current=jeffinbbots1.jpg

I arrived at the mall which was already quite crowded, given that it was a Saturday at around eleven a.m. and stuck around until about five. As you can see from the picture, I wore tight, straight legged jeans which afforded every pair of eyes in the mall a damn good look at my Payless "Maya" boots, the same ones I wore last Saturday. Much to my amazement, even though the heels were in plain view, I pretty much went ignored.

Oh, there were a couple of second glances here and there, but that was all. I expected more in the way of responses today since the heels weren't mostly hidden like they were last week. Everyone could see them, but no one openly or overtly reacted to them. Astonishing! At times, I was almost disappointed that nobody went wide eyed, did comical double takes or giggled at me, and I covered practically every square inch of the place.

So, once again, I had an unexpectedly good time in heels. Next time, I will wear the tan boots and see if I can get a reaction out of the public!

;)

P.S.: If you go to my little webpage via the link below, you'll find three more pics of me in my boots!

That's great Jeff. Just goes to show everyone that there is little need to hide them.

JeffB:-) It sounds like your adventure at the Mall was successful for you and you enjoyed being there. Keep us posted on your future outings. They sound quite interesting. Shafted:-) I don't hide my boots, I just don't show much of them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

JeffB:-)

It sounds like your adventure at the Mall was successful for you and you enjoyed being there.

Most definitely! I practically had to force myself to leave so I could get home to watch Sportscenter and catch up on that day's college football action. I'm still amazed that I didn't turn any heads in my heels which everyone could plainly see. Thinking about that makes me chuckle at how I actually worried about reactions and then feeling disappointed that I didn't get any! Talk about contradictory! HA!! Already I'm eager for my next outing as I plan to wear my tan boots to the mall!

JeffB:-) Congrats on your Mall time in your heels. Let's see if the tan boots brings any comments on your next trip to the Mall. Even if they don't, I know you will have a bunch of fun. Keep us posted. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, on Saturday, I took the tan "Maya" boots for a spin at the mall. Here's the entire outfit I wore:

Posted Image

I spent six hours there, covering practically the entire place and, just like with the black boots, I didn't get so much as a peep from the people around me, despite the heels, despite the noticeably tight jeans I sported. I thought sure I get a response or two, but again, nothing. Sure, I know I've said that people are too wrapped up in their own lives and affairs to notice a man in high heels, but this was almost ridiculous! Guess I'll have to try a pair of pumps or the thigh high boots there next and see what happens!

;)

Isn't it weird how peoples lack of response is like a double edge sword. Sometimes your thankful for the lack of response and at other times you wish people would say something, anything.