Platforms

Debbie(HK)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... I thought up untill last season (perhaps the season before) they were in style here in NY that you saw! even more mature women(some not all) were shedding the signature stilettos/spikes and donning the platforms..but i think that the platform look is fading with the onset of summer... so now of course you have sandals with a kind of "kitten heel" and some who still wear the stiletto/spike heel but most of the time you won't see a heel higher than 3.5-4" well perhaps in a fetish club... any comments? gig

Cheers

I don't know about that, as I saw my first pair in public close to home a couple of weeks ago. The were the clear slides. They will always be around for those who want to look sexy.

I see quite some girls in stiletto heels though, appart from indeed the kitten heels. I noticed an increase of women and girls (a lot of them surprisingly young even) on stiletto heeled 4 inch ankleboots. Now there is a tendency for pumps, especially in France, i was recently in paris and lille and saw a surprising number of young professionals on high heeled stiletto pumps. I think the tendency for the stiletto will translate this summer in wearing strappy stiletto sandals and mules. I saw some already in Paris when the weather was very nice. I doubt there will be a lot of platforms, except maybe the corky sole ones, and wedge platforms.

I think the later years have shown that fashion is getting more open minded on all accounts. While a decade ago fashion dictated only this or that could be worn and indeed was worn by everybody, now new styles get added but older ones remain popular and as such we see a mix or different shoes and clothes being worn on the streets. This allows the people to have a broader choice of what to wear and to buy (increased business) but also allows us to wear clothes better suited to the job, our mind, our confort or mood. Nowadays you can get away with almost any style at any event and will not be criticised because you wear something outdated. The endless combinations afforded by this let people better express their personallity instead of just following the herd all wearing similar stuff during just a single season. With the shoes we have seen exactly the same happening. Both in the stores and on the streets you can find a mix of flat trainers, kitten heeled shoes, chunky or stilettos and platforms of any types. I don't complain. While in the 70's platforms came and went in about 5 years, this time they have been around more than a decade and probably their advantages (yes their are) will keep people buying them from time to time. Just my observation and wishfull thinking, comments welcome.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 3 weeks later...

While in the 70's platforms came and went in about 5 years, this time they have been around more than a decade and probably their advantages (yes their are) will keep people buying them from time to time. Just my observation and wishfull thinking, comments welcome.

Hi Luc,

I agree to you. I'm still influenced by the 70ies platform style. My old everlasting love. But today I'm also looking for pointy boots with thin stiletto heels. l can't decide which style is the better one. Platforms with block heels or filigree stilettos? I love simply both styles :wink:

I don't like to follow only the actual fashion style. It's a suggestion for me, but guaranteed never a must. Look at my motto.

nice greetings to my "poisoner"

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

nice greetings to my "poisoner"

Sorry for dragging (pun intended) you into this lifestyle. I'm happy with being able to choose between platforms, stilettos, chuncky heels or wedges, just according to my mood, time of day and things to be done. 20 years ago the current fashion style was the only choice. Let's consider us happy to live in this time, especially with the present tolerant (if still unapprovant) society. Happy heeling to all the freestylers, Highluc

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 5 months later...

I like platforms like the ones TXT-1 has in his avatar, and Babe in heels is wearing on page six. I've got three pairs with six inch stiletto heels and two inch platforms and I love 'em. Personally I don't like platforms higher than two inches though.

One thing I dislike about platforms is the fact that you loose feeling the ground with the front part of your feet. For me, that makes walking take some getting used to.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

A small platform of a quarter to three-quarters of an inch does give a little bit of cushioning if your streets are a bit hard, and this applies whatever height you have at the back end! From the spectators' point of view, however and as Phuong says, the arch has to be 4" or really 4.5" or higher not to look clunky especially where the platform is over 1.5". If it is an inch or less then they ok with a wider range of heels and are more the user friendly streetwear type of styles. /I

/I

I've been a high heel fan ever since I was a young boy, but as far as platforms are concerned, I agree with Debbie, the original creator of this thread - they're all DREADFUL! They turn the toe-box of an otherwise sleek and sexy shoe into an ugly, clumpy surgical boot. It makes the wearer look as if they've got a club foot! They're all DREADFUL. Also it's CHEATING. I've heard a girl boasting that she's wearing 5" heels, but with a 3" platform it's only a pathetic 2" lift! I'd line to set up a workshop equipped with nothing but rows of mechanical planers. Then I'd compel every platform owner to send in their shoes to have the platforms planed off completely! Platforms are only good for one thing - - getting into trains! I'm with you on this Debbie! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I still think small plats are OK. Up to an inch they can improve the styling around the vamp and make the heel look higher. To prove my point, Heelfan was eulogising over a girl, Jenny's, boots at the recent Rocky Horror show. I thought they were cool too. A 5" heel but nicely styled 3/4" platform. I rest my case :D

Well OK!, it's a fair cop! Young Jenny and her boots were a knockout! But speaking generally I'd love to see all those platforms on the world's shoes get planed-off. I'd supply young Jenny with a an official exemption pass (but only for that one pair of boots), and Firefox would have to have another one for the cool boots that he wore to the Oxford Heel-Meet! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I see what the non platormers are getting to but I prefer my 6" inch heel/2" plats over 6" non plats and I don't like ALL plats (I only like the moulded plastic 4" non plats up to 7.5" heel/ 3.5" plats Yes I realize I am cheating (yada yada) but I don't care because I've realized I like heels with a four inch arch,and they feel the most comfertable to me. I haven't tried higher heels (without plats)but I like the 4 inch arch best (I could probably try 6" or Ballet boots (non plats)as i have 13 US womens sized feet, but I'm not allowed any more (long story) later, TXT-1

I used to hate the look of platforms, then one of my friends from the internet told me that they wear cool to wear, so that night I logged on to fredericks of hollywood website and ordered a pair of black 6 inch heel 2 inch platform heels with glitter on the toe straps. since then i have wore them util i broke the strap on the right ankle strap :D but now i love platform high heels and i want to get another pair sometime but i still have my stilettos, 7 pairs without a platform, and getting 5 more pairs from a lady friend that wears the same size as me and just likes to send me new shoes

i'll admit I too didn't like plats until I saw a girl at a the 2001 "Big Boys Toys here in Perth, Western Australia wearing a pair similar to mine, but natural leather and I though "I like those" I was going to ask her where she got them from, but I though i was weird at the time to ask that question, So I didn't, I now wish I had! I'm not allowed any more because my 6" plats cost me $160 .50 (Australian), I was going to get a pair of 7.5" plats but shoecraft, (the highway robbery artists) want $320 (australian!)for them!, to get a pair of 5" non plat pumps is about $175-$300 (australian), I could probably finnd them cheaper by porobably getting them where I got my existing pair, but Mum is worried that the 7.5" plats are too high and too dangerous, I tend to agree with her, also if You have read my story in the mens forum I don't want to end up with 50,000 pairs of heels if I go into a group home, because unfortunately I can't look after myself and like I just explained Heels are very $$$$ here! also be cause of my disability I want to spend the most time I can in my heels ( I tend too like my heels TOO much!) if thats possible :D I will have to dust off my golf clubs again) later, TXT-1

Thanks for your postings TXT and good luck to you! I'm delighted that Chis has condemned me to flat shoes as a punishment, as long as he settles for the "flat" rule applying to the toe-boxes only. my heels, of course, will be saucy numbers between 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" inches in height - my favourite configuration! Cheerfully and platformlessly yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

• 2 weeks later...

well, I like certain platforms and I actually feel that for a given lift they make walking easier in a well designed shoe. Mainly because I don't get the deformation of my feet by the very thin soles when walking on the street but also generally speaking. I agree that most platform shoes that come out of the US at the moment are exceedingly ugly, but there are nice ones around. will post link later. cheers Bernhard

• 3 years later...

...Anybody else noticed how long the platform has been in fashion this time around? I have some old fashion mags from 1993/1994 and they were showing model wearing them there. Here we are 8 years on and they are still in fashion, thats quite a long time in fashion terms.

If my memory serves me correctly when platforms were in fashion in the 70's they were probably only around for 4 or 5 years...

I continually find myself amused at how much young people overrate themselves. For some strange reason, each generation supposes that they are the inventers of some marvelous or new thing.:wink:

So at the risk of bursting some bubbles:text_pop: , allow me to say that I can very vividly remember, when I was about 12 years old, finding a pair of my mother's brown platform shoes in the attic one day. I was still small enough that I could wear them and I still recall how strange they felt with those 5" heels and 1" plats.

Now please remember that this was around 1955 and I honestly cannot remember ever seeing my mother wear them. However, my mother, who was an avid photo collector, had numerous snapshots of her wearing these shoes when she was living in NYC (was she ever a knockout!) in the late '30s and early '40's.

So young people, PLUEESE, plats were not invented in the '80's or the '70's, nor even the '50's or '60's, for that matter. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say in the 1930's and I might still be very wrong about that assumption.

The jury have reached a verdict. You, Heelfan, are guilty of anti-platform fascism. I hearby sentence you to confinement to flat shoes for a period of no less than six months. Shuffle from this courtroom in your comfy loafers!

Posted Image

Oh No! Not that! That constitutes cruel and unusual punishment!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I'm with you, i LOVE a platform shoe. I'm in the fetish community and i wear them out to events, but i'll also wear the shorter platforms (6-7 inches) with jeans to the mall. I feel they make my legs look longer and i love the height (i'm only 5'5") since hubby is 6' or 6'2". Plus i find that i can wear my platforms for hours on end walking around, since they are a bit hardier than alot of my shorter heels.