changing boot height?

terayon

Does anyone know if its possible for a repair shop to sew on additional material to the top of a knee high boot and make it thigh high? extending the zipper does not matter.....For the most part the only thigh high boots I can ever seem to find are fetish styles with wild extravagant heels and shiny vinyl etc... It would be nice to be able to mod some of my more appropriate knee high styles into a thigh high design.... does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this idea?

My local cobbler is very handing with his Singer long arm sewing machine. I see no reason why they couldn't be extended.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

(Due to a bad illness-kidney failure and infections related and non related) I can't do something like this at this time If you can find the leather that matches, you should be able to extend the boots. The extra material could have a buckle and strap to complete the design, that way you wouldn't miss the zipper at the top. I don't know how savvy the repair person you find is, but there are two sides to every piece of leather. different color, different gran. If you find a place that sells scrap leather, look at both sides, that increases your chances of finding leather to be used for the extention Sueded leather also sometimes is different on both sides For instance, I did some shoe work for the grumpy old men movies. They had me add a folded collar to a pair of boots for Ann Margaret. It was a suede boot to have a "puss and boots" folded collar...I ordered the black suede hide, and initially was disappointed that I couldn't get the right grain. then I turned it over, and the back side matched alot better.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Its nice to know it can be done...now if i could only just work up the nerve to actually walk into a store and ask the dude to do it ;) The other thing id be worried about is being able to match the color...if i do it i think ill ask for a swatch of the material he'll be using so i can take it home and see if it matches any of my pairs first. any idea on the cost of something like this?

I don't know your size, but you could always call them first and say "I got these boots for my gf, but she likes them longer. Do you think you could do it? I want to surprise her". Even when you pick them up you could say "she is about the same height as me, mind if I try them on to see how they would fit?". Just an idea if your too nervous and shy to tell him the truth or have anyone else take them in for you. Good luck. Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

So I called 2 shops about this. one said they couldnt do it straight away, the other said to come in and he'd take a look and let me know. He said he could do it, but it would cost around $100, the material wasnt going to be a perfect match and he said even if he got the measurements right it would probably slouch. He said I probably shouldnt try it. It was a real disapointment as there are so few "normal" pairs of thigh high boots out there. Ive only ever seen one or two wedge pairs on ebay in the past and Ive never actually seen a pair in any store. Every now and again you see pointy toe stilleto ones or really kinky platform styles....but nice, appropriate wedge or low heeled thigh high boots remain a rareity.

• 4 weeks later...

Not matching the leather sounds like a cop out to me as well as the high price. As for them slouching, they can easily be reinforced with plastic or stiffer leather.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I just recently bought a full length shiny PU skirt on ebay and am thinking that it will work very nicely for material...it was relatively cheap and I figured it was worth a shot as it looked like it may match....Ill let you know when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

so the skirt is a little shinier than my shiniest pair of boots (I dont own any patent pairs...just PU) so I think that this might work perfectly....once I have some more $$$ im going to call around again and see what they have to say.

Terayon -

The last thing I would worry about is what a taking your boots into a cobbler’s shop in person. I take my thigh boots in for heel tips and zipper repair and I’m wearing a pair when I do it. Cobblers have seen all kinds of footwear before and, in my experience, they just see it as another job. Before a cobbler could give you a decision on doing the work, they need to see what they are getting into.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Ya Im not too worried about taking them into the cobblers...the financial repurcussions are whats stopping me at this point....I also sort of like this dress, and although ive never had much of a liking or even an interest for them before....but this one is ankle length and looks really nice with my boots.....itll be a shame if I cut it all up....but we'll see :D