Chunky, or spiky?

ShockQueen

I have one pair of boots with chunky heels (and pointed toes oddly enough) but the rest are all spikes. I don't dislike some chunky heels, but I really prefer spikes both to wear and to look at. I'd probably wear chunky ones in public, but as my preferred styles are too obvious for street-heeling (IMO) I'm still closeted.

i would have to say i like spiky best but i also like chunky cause it easier to walk in nut i also dislike the overly chunky shoe, they are just ugly. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

both it depends on the occasion. i can probably get away with stilettos as i am fairly thin framed and not heavily built, but i like to wear both styles. the stiletto feels sexier to me and the noise too :D my blocks although high and sexy looking are boringly silent. however it has to be said that although lots have said stilettos are for the thinner frames, quite a few of us were in nothing but stilettos at the last london heelmeet, and didnt need to be stick insects to pull that off! we didnt look all that bad either :( daz

I prefer spikes too. However they can be too thin and bend forward to much. I have a pair of 4 1/2" boots that are almost unwareable because of this. They have 6mm steel tips which ware out in 6 mo. or so, and I don't ware them much.

JayZee:-) If those are your feet and ankles in your post pic, they sure look great in those spiky heels. How high are they? There was a time when I was able to wear shoes like that, but no more. So my choice must be chunky, blade (flatback) or block heels between 3" and 4" height. I need all the sturdiness I can get for my arithritic ankles and knees at my age. Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dawn HH! I am not into wearing heels - only into admiring women wearing them - my girlfrind do from time to time but it is unfortunately not her in the picture! I hope to be able to post some pictures of her in the future! JayZee :D

"We don't stop playing because we get older - we get older because we stop playing" (with high heels - JayZee)

JayZee:-) Thanks for your informational post. I do wear heels every day for a few hours each evening and on Saturdays and Sundays for longer periods of time. I will be looking forward to some pics of your GF in her heels. Dawn HH P.S. My wife and I are in the beginnings of street heeling also after "lurking" for over a year, and I finally decided if I was going to do it--- you have to start somewhere.

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have always swooned over the look of narrow chunky heels, especially boots, under a pair of well-fitting pants, especially on women. If the spike is shaped right, and blends well with the overall design of the boot (or shoe), rather than just "stuck on" because a spike is "expected" (see for example most fetish boots/shoes--yech, gag me with a spoon!), then spikes are OK. That said, I wear whatever I can get in my size, since most people don't notice or care, if you aren't blatently obvious about it, and if you have sufficiently long pants to wear, which I do, since discovering alloy.com a couple of years ago. :D

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

My favorite is a combination of the two. You know the one, with a wicked curve? Sometimes you see it in a blade heel (thin from the rear), but it's best when it narrows from a wide chunk at the heel cup, continuing the lines of the heel cup, to a dime-sized footprint on the ground.

Something like these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a lot of those around, anymore (the pics above are from zappos). The heels on the boots shown on my icon (left) come very close, though, and are very comfortable.

Whether I'm lounging around the house or lounging around town, however, a 3" block heel is very comfortable, especially in cooler weather:

Posted Image

Courtesy of Payless (Lower East Side), and they did have these in sizes to 13 (mine are 11).

• 3 months later...

I was browsing some older postings and came across this. For me it has to be spikes always, and the spikier the better - but they must have metal tips. Also, not those horrible modern stilettos which curve sharply in at the top then most of the heel is straight. The traditional heel has a gentle and elegant curve which, on the lower heels, means that quite a lot of the heel is curving. Most of the higher (6"+) heels do seem to go almost straight down,rather than curving under the shoe, but perhaps there is a good practical reason for that. It won't stop me wearing them though! Spikes look good with any outfit, including trousers. They can even bring an otherwise dull outfit to life. They look especially good with skirts and dresses of course, and any length hemline. In fact I think short clothes look much better with high rather than low heels. Contrary to the usual advice, I think 'the shorter the skirt the higher the heel' can make for a really dynamic look. A short, tight skirt with high spike heels makes me feel very powerful and liberated, even more so if the skirt is leather with, perhaps, a matching jacket.

Gang, I love a good blade heel but 5"? where could i find such a heel either on a shoe OR boot? It might be late in the season but if i could find a pair of boots i'd buy them straightaway! shoes in a blade heel are common though.. thanks gig

Cheers

Gang, I love a good blade heel but 5"? where could i find such a heel either on a shoe OR boot? It might be late in the season but if i could find a pair of boots i'd buy them straightaway! shoes in a blade heel are common though.. thanks gig

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've always said that while chumky heels are cute, STILETTOS ARE SEXY!!! :D Always has been-always will be Namaste', Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

i think blocks look the more conservative for men, more masculine looking, ad stilettos the better for women, but thats not to say that the opposites cannot be. I love my stilettos on the braver days and wouldnt throw them out for anyone :D

What, not even if instructed by your boss, the bank manager? Tee hee! Seriously though, I thought your recently depicted new aquisition of your 4" chunky-heeled boots would be totally innocuous and inconspicuous under a pair of ground-scraping trousers if you are still yearning to be able to wear heels to work(???). Or, even safer still might be something like Genebujold's last lowest pair of those he depicted in his posting. Then those wicked steel 5 1/2" stiletto boots of yours would be something for you to look forward to in your leisure time! I certainly would! Best of luck and best wishes for everything! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!