Hurricane Katrina: Did Danielle get out?

Shafted

Has anyone heard if Danielle got out of New Orleans, or any other members who might also be located in the area? I just heard that 80% of the city is under 20 feet of water and continuing to rise due to more levees breaking.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Since the entire city is without power, and I don't believe Danielle has a laptop, if he is still in the city, I believe it will be awhile before we learn his fate or the fate of any other members we have in that area. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you again, Danielle. Happy to see you made it through the storm. I bet you have some stories to tell. Would love to hear them whenever you have time. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

stories, eh? well... saturday afternoon after work, i washed clothes, and packed as if i were going on a five-day vacation i left for panama city late that night, and got there sunday morning stayed there til tuesday; went to pensacola, stayed there for a night. all day wednesday i drove toward central ms, eventually making it there around 11pm. i stayed there til saturday morning. i met with my folks and came out to atlanta, which is where i've been for a week and a half now. in that time i managed to find all of my family members and close friends, so that's good. most of my... well, everything is back home. thankfully my house sits high off the ground, so it wasn't flooded out. will need to replace my floors though. sucks because i'd just tiled my floors and painted my room. since i'm east of new orleans, i won't be let back in to the city for awhile to further assess damages, but my uncle gave me this report directly from the house (he's in the NOPD, and went nearby to evaluate some stuff). i'm sure that i lost some of my favorite shoes, but i had a bag of shoes i was ready to donate. just might keep those now :wink:

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Glad to hear your okay, Danielle. Sounds like your faired better then many in that area.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Danielle:-) I have been reading some of your recent posts and I am glad that your house didn't suffer much from the storm and that you are picking up your life where you left off. There will be a lot of people that will have to completely start over after losing everything that they had except the clothes on their backs. Thank goodness that you aren't one of them. Your a very lucky fellow. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

By the way, Danielle, if you really are looking for a good job, there will be enough work for everyone along the gulf coast working for companies that are cleaning up and rebuilding. I know they are looking for people with engineering experience and construction backgrounds. Might be a good way to earn enough money to pay a couple of years of college for you.

Hey, Danielle!!!! I'd wait until this next hurricane gets by before making any decisions. As of now, forecasters are predictiong it to go into the Gulf of Mexico.....

Lookout, Danielle...here we go again. And there are a string of tropical storms behind this one. If this one hits the same place as the last one...there won't be anything left to tear up. You'll have a life-time supply of kindling. Cheers--- Dawn HH

If you can believe news reports, the situation in New Orleans continues to be very confusing. The mayor, after determining that portions of the city were safe, has reissued an order not to return. Three considerations changed his mind. Lack of infrastructure - potable water, sewer, police and fire protection; danger of bacterial infection associated with catastrophic occurrances from decomposing refuse, animas, and toxic chemicals; and approching hurricane Rita. Lets all pray that this new hurricane makes landfall further to the southwest and spares another frontal attack on New Orleans and the gulf coast.

It appears, at this stage, that hurricane "Rita" is going to spare New Orleans of another "soaking." It's ironic though, isn't it, that "Rita" is headed directly for the Gulf Coast cities of Galvaston and Houston, Texas. The places that accepted the greatest number of evacuees from Katrina? --

The weather channel just up-dated their forecast for "Rita." They say this is one of the 5 worst hurricanes in recorded weather record keeping history. And, to top it all off, expirts are already talking about gasoline prices spiking at over $4.00 a gallon here in the USA because fully 25% of the nations refining capacity is located in the Galvaston/Houston area. And, if damage to these facilities is as great as expected, the high prices could last way beyond the first of the year. The most bothersome thing about this incident is the possibility for loss of life. I sure hope everyone gets out of these cities safely before the storm hits..

Danielle:-) Looks like your luck might be holding out for you on the storm Rita sliding by your area this time. I don't think that NO, La. or it's citizens could weather another storm at this time. Good luck to you, my friend. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Things are still very "dicey" for New Orleans at this point. The US Army Corps of Engineers, the outfit that is in charge of the Levy system, says that in its present condition, the city can't stand anymore than 6" of rain or storm serges - high tides - of more than 10-12 feet.....it is possible for both of these values to be exceeded even if the storm itself bypasses the City of New Orleans.

Thanks everyone for your concerns I still haven't returned to New Orleans, and I might not for another 2-3 months. Right now I'm in Georgia, firmly planted. If anything, I'm trying to go further north - Chicago and Detroit are among my choices for future places of permanent residence.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I heard today that New Orleans had another round of bad luck, more rain another levee break and more water in the city. When will it end?

My point, Dawn, is that natives of New Orleans that have evacuated to "higher ground" really won't consider returning to their homes before the problems are solved. I would think, at least I would think, that no additional damage can be sustained so let the ill winds blow until they blow themselves out and then they can go back and inspect their personal property and ascertain if they want to go back.