Cambridge UK 8 June 2002 Meeting

Firefox

Perhaps... Depends on when. Sundays are easier for me. I haven't been to Cambridge for a year and a half. Don't suppose it's changed much :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Saturday June 8 sounds OK by me. I have a free day then, but I'm out with the bus on Sunday. As I will pass by Kettering I can pick up Francis as well. Sounds good.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Posted Image

On the map you can see the places of interest.

I suggest we meet in the Grafton Centre (GC) at 11.00am on Sat 8th June 2002 outside Burger King which is on the first floor food court near the Warner Bros Cinema.

11.00 -12.00 look at shoe shops in Grafton Centre

12.00 - 1.00 look at shoe shops in Petty Cury/Lion Yard (LY)

1.00 - 2.00 Get some beers and lunch In Camb City centre, venue to be arranged

2.00 or so walk over to Midsummer Common (MSC) where strawberry fair will have started.

2.00 to 6.00 Soak up more beers, music, ents, etc at the fair.

6.00 to 10.00 Stay on at fair, pub crawl, meal, visit Foon's place depending on numbers and who wants to do what.

My mobile in case anyone gets lost or is late: (07941) 172043

A good clickable map which displays all the shoe shops locations can be found here:

http://www.camcity.co.uk/streets/index.shtml

<font size=1> Posted Image

Click For Freestyle Fashions </font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-05-14 01:36 ]</font>

Gosh, if I lived in the UK I wouldn't wait until June. I'd be dashing off to Brussels today for the big shoe sale mentioned elsewhere on this board.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 3 weeks later...

FF Do you want a lift from your place? Heather is away on Friday, so I will be travelling via your part of the world. To allow sufficient time, I could be at your place about 1000. We could have another RV at the park and ride on the south side of Cambridge at 1030 ? Calv If you are picking up Francis, I still have all that knitting wool for his wife. There's about 2 black sacks full, so it is easiest if you are going directly to his door. We could transfer the wool at the suggested 1030 RV.

Have a cold one for me there! We'll be celebrating my daughter's 5th birthday that weekend! Guess there's all kinds of groovy things going on then! :smile: :smile: :wink: Hope you have a WONDERFUL time!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Ba Ba Xaphod, have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, two bags full! (Sorry, couldn't resist that :smile: ) (By the way, would you believe a loony left wing council in the UK banned the original nursery rhyme "Ba Ba Black Sheep" as "offensive" to people of African origin? The replacement? Ba Ba green sheep of course... it's a true story!)

Xaphod, best to give Firefox the wool and he can pass it to Jackie when we see each other. I won't be attending the Cambridge run :smile: Calv has decided that he's getting the train to Cambridge so he can enjoy a few beers (don't blame him). Have fun! And don't forget we want pics !! :smile:

On 2002-05-12 23:05, Yamyam wrote:

Perhaps...

Depends on when. Sundays are easier for me.

Sorry, can't be there. But enjoy yourselves, everyone.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Hi gang I am planning on getting the train to Cambridge. Should get to the meeting point by 11:00am but.... Will have the phone on. Must leave on the train at 20:16 or its a long walk home. BTW I checked the park & ride and buses run until 19:45 or so. Got the new digicam today so will be itching to use it!

Calv

On 2002-06-06 23:53, Firefox wrote:

Ba Ba Xaphod, have you any wool?

Yes sir, yes sir, two bags full!

(Sorry, couldn't resist that :smile: )

(By the way, would you believe a loony left wing council in the UK banned the original nursery rhyme "Ba Ba Black Sheep" as "offensive" to people of African origin? The replacement? Ba Ba green sheep of course... it's a true story!)

Wasn't it Lewisham? I was a kid at the time but still managed to make us all laugh!

What's next, There'll be Blue Birds Over The Green Cliffs of Dover 'cos white cliffs is offensive against whites? :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

I have to send you guys a reply, and say thank you yery much for a great day out. R eturned home about 8o"clock my feet still hurt but so what even went to the off licence in my heels after a day with you lot who cares I don't. The day was great, I never thought you would find me in heels in a shoe shop or pub having a meal, walking 2-5 miles I don't know but feet took until about 6"oclock sunday to recover, But it was worth it, Thanks guys you were great, can't wait till next time. Dave sunny Basingstoke

Glad you had a good time, Dave - I know I certainly did! You missed some fun after you left though, particularly the barbecue and the effects of Firefox's fudge :smile: I'll definitely be coming to the next meet if I can possibly make it. Too good to miss!

Hash fudge actually, and it was fucking strong, far stronger than I expected :smile: Strawberry fair is an alternative culture type place so there's all sorts of this kind of stuff floating around.

Posted Image

There's a general view of the fair, lots of music, ents, and food.

After visiting the shops in Cambridge, some drinks at a place on the river, we took in some more beer at the fair. There were 5 of us altogether, the guys you see below plus me, and Dave from Basingstoke.

I bought 3 pieces of said fudge for £5 ($7.50) at about 5.30pm and between then and midnight was a bit of a blur for me. However, I did manage to take these pics:

Posted Image

In search of the Holy Grail

Posted Image

Closing in on the kill

Posted Image

The hunters return

I do remember having a BBQ and doing the cooking as that was far easier than trying to follow the conversation! Chris treated us to a display of model helicopter flying in the kitchen as well.

Thanks to all who came, and we look forward to next time :grin:

Just like to add that I also had a great time exploring Cambridge and the Strawberry fair (very alternative) and many thanks to Foon for inviting us to his house and barbeque. I seem to remember a very intersting conversation with one of Foons housemates after he came back from the pub. Got home OK and took the the bus to the Black Country Museum for another good time. (Could be a severve test for wearing heels there especially down the coal mine!) Back to work now :smile:

Calv