rant rave

Ok I do try to restrict my language, however its sometimes really satisfying to have a really good swear to yourself.I do not agree with swearing around kids and I really hate it when parents swear at their children. Thats another thing. Children swearing makes me realy sad. :wink: Thankyou Mel

I think the whole swearing thing is overeacted to. They are only words. OK, if someone swears every other word it becomes boring, but so does it if they say "so I was like" or "do ya get me?" all the time. Most of the people who object to any swearing all the time are religious prudes who like to enforce their culture on everyone else. Bring it on :wink:

If swearing is needed then it is no longer swearing but part of every day conversation. It's not so it isn't. If it is needed then it would be part of what we write in these forums. It's not so it isn't. Do any of you thump your fist into your hand making a loud noise when you want to make a point, or bang your hand on a table? You don't because it's not needed. Swearing is no different. Why put a sound in a sentence that is objectionable to some when it's not needed. And I absolutely agree with Mel. Swearing at children is totally uncalled for even though FF says it is an over reaction. Try explaining it to a your children FF, thats is ok for Daddy to swear his head off at them and it should have no affect on them. Jeff.

Swearing at or around children is just uncalled for. They are innocent for such a short time now. As for use its uses, I think that it is not the word that makes a person feel better, it is how you say it. The tone, inflection, strength of voice, and the attitude that it is said with, is what makes one feel better. You could say "flipping prairie dogs" with the same zest and zell of which you say f*%$, and feel just as good. The problem is that these words have become part of everyday language and use. (This comes from one that does have a bit of potty mouth every now and again.)

There are times when I think swearing is theraputic. Example: After bashing my thumb with a hammer a few vulger curse words somehow makes me feel better. Softer explatives just don't seem to have the same effect. It's about the only time when I'll swear.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

As TB says, you can easily substitute a more benign word instead of a profane one whether it's for therapy or not. Even if I bash my thumb you would very rarely hear anything stronger than Sh*t. It isn't so long ago since the words "flipping" or "blinking" were considered strong and as for "bleeding"... ...I can remember being sent to bed for that one! The problem is, the F word is used with such abandon that it is going to be considered mild so what do we say then? To me, swear words are the sign of a weak intellect coupled with a poor vocabulary. These morons are unable to verbalise a more suitable adjective, adverb or noun and so substitute the F word in its various forms to get their point across. Inanimate objects are unable to copulate so why say that an unreliable car is a "f**king car"? Or why say "where the f**k did that come from?"?Unless you consider a small isolated mountain village in Cambodia, F**K is not a place.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

My mother used to tell us that swearing demonstrated ignorance because the person cussing couldn't find words strong enough to show their feelings. Here in the USA using the "F" word is just a rung in the politically correct ladder. Members of the ignorant, uneducated, socially less expectable welfare crowd constantly uttered that word. In an attempt to "show" this aspect of society they were "people" too, people that were forced to congregate with them in public schools began to use it to demonstrate they were just part of the crowd. In fact, over the past 20 years, since the "great society" and "war on poverty" have been waged, our entire civilized society has been "ghettoized" to a point where anything and everything is permissible. Cussing is just one of the spin-offs of this effort. If you translate the lyrics in ghetto "hip hop" rap, one can really see how low things have sunk.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I remember one day in first grade we had a few new faces of a different color. Integration had begun. By fifth grade, 20% of our class was of a different color, and one of them was my best friend. Throughout middle and high school, I went to integrated schools, and I'd have to say that the worst offenders by far were us whites. That may have changed, but if it has, it's largely because of a ghetto mentality where people compete to be the baddest. We see that reflected in Hollywood and music, whether it's rap or not. I am no fan of rap. There are a few (very few) rap artists, however, who refuse to use not only bad language, but also bad situations. They rap about change for the better, doing the right things in a bad situation, etc., essentially de-ghettoizing the ghetto using a ghetto medium of expression. Regardless of whether we're from the ghetto or upper-class society, foul language is a part of our culture, and I've heard it at all levels. I'm with Dr. Shoe - foul language is a cop-out for morons who're unable to express themselves otherwise using the plethora of words available in our language. There are perhaps 10 cuss words, yet most people know the meaning of more than 10,000 non-cuss words.

dr1819 wrote:

I'm with Dr. Shoe - foul language is a cop-out for morons who're unable to express themselves otherwise using the plethora of words available in our language.

I agree. However, sometimes you have to speak the language of the people you're trying to communicate with. It's the only language they know.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Maybe it is because I'm 25 and may have a better understanding of my age group. I don't know but I think there is nothing wrong with a little casual swearing amongsit friends. My friends and I do it a lot when where hanging out with each other. Everytime I go to a bar or a club, its not uncommon to here it in other peoples conversations. Like the word shit may come up a lot. It just the way causual talk is amongst young people now adays. At least some young people. And you know what? WE'RE NOT MORONS! How dare you judge anyone like that! Swearing every now and then is ok. Just don't over do it to were every other word that is comming out of your mouth is fuck. The bible (at least the christian bible) dosen't say it is wrong, it is just a moral issue in our society. And morals vary from person to person. Not everyone has the same morals you do! As far as swearing around kids go, I don't swear around kids try not to ruin their innocense even though by time they're 15 they will more then likely have none and probaly had more sex then I will ever hope to have. But at the same time I've never had sex with anyone and thus don't have any kids and thus I'm not responsalbie for anyone's kids. But I try not to swear around them too much. Be kinda bad if a 5 year old went to kindagarden and started swearing. But common you gotta lighten up a little, and comming from me that is BAD! Swearing ins't all that bad, it is just that there is a time and place for it. Military, College parties etc... etc... etc... . And most of the people I know dont' really care about it all that much. I mean they're just freakin words people!

It's all good. ~Arron.

Sorry for my little rant, but this quote here really pissed me off!

foul language is a cop-out for morons who're unable to express themselves otherwise using the plethora of words available in our language.

Because I use foul language every now and then. AND I'M NO MORON!!!!!!!!!!!! My friends swear a lot, AND THEY ARE NOT MORONS, I got straight A's in school, I study Japansese and other types of Asian culture, I do anything and everything with computers (Graphic arts, web design, network admin. construction and repair), I play the flute, I'm learnign to DJ, And I'm learning to play Guitar. I'm an administrative asisstant for a mental health organization where I live and I've been Employee of the Month twice! I'm a very intellegent and capable person (I just suck in social situations.) You just have a deffernt set of moral values and that is ok, but it dosen't mean that you go and call someone a Moron!

And IMHO intellegence is more then just having a big vocab. (vocabulary, I like to shorten words). I've known a few people who had a "plethora" of words in they're vocab and where "Morons"

Sorry not trying to be "offensive" to anyone here I guess I'm not all that conservitive of a person.

It's all good. ~Arron.

All we're saying is that THERE IS NO NEED to swear. Just because it has become "acceptable" doesn't mean that it's right!

For information, the bible does clearly state time and time again that profanity and blasphemy are abominations meaning that to do so is "serious" sin! Our Lord was questioned about the practice among the gentiles of eating food considered unclean according to Jewish Law. He replied that it is not what goes into our mouths that is unclean but what comes out. He even goes on to cite blasphemy, profanity, gossip and false witness as examples.

The problem with the Gratuitous use of foul language is that it becomes a habit and words such as shit become substitute for rather innocuous words.

Example: "That car is serious shit man!", Or "You're shitting me!"

We also find the word "f**k" is being used in a gratuitous manner too. In fact a very funny Email was doing the rounds a few years back:

"Where the f**k is all the water coming from?" Captain of the Titanic;

"What the f**k was that?" The Mayor of Hiroshima.

Funny true but it illustrates an all too sad fact that our society is running out of swear words. What do you do when you want to express true rage? You can't use the "f" word to underline your feelings because you already use it in a more mild context when you're engaging in a little recreational swearing among your mates.

As a late teenager, I thought it cool to swear, I really believed that I was a man because I was using swear words with gay abandon and no one was stopping me from doing it. But when I eventually grew up and started to accept the consequences of my actions I learnt to hold my tongue and reserve the "serious" words for when they were needed.

I still stand by what I said about Morons and swearing. If anyone on this site considers themselves clever and articulate then they would not need swear words to convey their thoughts. I'm not talking about words such as Shit, Asshole, Bum or even Damn and Hell, I'm talking words such as F**k or C**t.

BTW Asdf: The Japanese NEVER swear, in fact Japanese does not have swear words and they would only use the profane group in the manner intended.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

If that is what you beleive then you are welcome to it. I still stand by my original statements. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, don't like it don't use it.

BTW Asdf: The Japanese NEVER swear, in fact Japanese does not have swear words and they would only use the profane group in the manner intended.

Rest assure I allready know this, as I stated I studied Japanese and though I don't remember most of Japanese though it is at my fingertips to learn again(I'm still good friends with my teacher.) I remember some things and that is one of them.

It's all good. ~Arron.

I swear. It is very hard not to when working in an office full of stressed folk and also nearly impossible to travel around the M25 in rush hour without swearing. I am not bothered by it at all, I dont swear when with customers or when on the phone, neither when in polite company or in public. If it offends you, point it out to the swearer, they wont mind and will either tone down their language or (resists the temptation to swear) go away and leave you alone. I tend to turn it off and on as the situation changes. Hay ho. d

The angels have the phonebox.

I swear.

It is very hard not to when working in an office full of stressed folk and also nearly impossible to travel around the M25 in rush hour without swearing.

I am not bothered by it at all, I dont swear when with customers or when on the phone, neither when in polite company or in public.

If it offends you, point it out to the swearer, they wont mind and will either tone down their language or (resists the temptation to swear) go away and leave you alone.

I tend to turn it off and on as the situation changes.

Hay ho.

d

Exactly!!!!! Thats just a much much nicer and more positive and just overall better worded way of saying what I was trying to say.

It's all good. ~Arron.

Aren't you all off-topic folks - including our illustrious moderator? I expect Bubba will now weigh in accusing me (as is his wont) of being an irritating self-appointed quasi-moderator, but I can't help asking everyone (including my own dear daughter Peachy who started this thread) - "What has any of this swearing topic got to do with high heels?". Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Well this is the rant section. In the index it deosn't say anything about topic of the rant. :wink:

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

this thread is funny to me. Being of the said 'younger generation'.... here is my take Folks who swear may or may not know better, but just don't care to put the effort. i disagree you must swear to be understood or taken seroiusly in this day and age. i think the reverse is true. those who can articulately convey their thougths without swearing will get farther and further ahead than those who use swear words to make emphatic points. I loose respect and esteem for my bosses when they use swear words to drive their points across. if we don't want young kids to swear, then we're doing a swell job by swearing in society... how else would kids know how to swear? I don't judge those who swear. but, to me, it says a lot about your character. It really does. Especially the time and circumstances around your swearing!!! the excuse that everyone around me does it, to me only applies to kids. but adults, nope, they can choose what to say and what not to say. no matter how you feel about it, the choice of words greatly impacts the impression you make and the treatment you use. case in point... you're wearing a pair of baggy jeans and t-shirt. you come up swearing a ton. it immediately says a lot about your income level, your education level, the types of friends you have, the types of parties you like, the types of treatment you may be inclined to give a woman. sure there are exception to every rule, but the rule is because most follow it! (yes, i stretched it a little to make my point) but, as far as heels are concerned, a woman who wears 5 inchers and cuss like a 'grease monkey' well, she's not that sexy in appeal to me. just my two cents. RPM

Exactly!!!!! Thats just a much much nicer and more positive and just overall better worded way of saying what I was trying to say.

asdf174, you echo my thoughts quite alot of the time, I think we would get along fine over a beer!

shame you live so far away.

As for Heelfan???????? what are you on about, this is the rant section and a great topic started by your wonderful little girl!

if you want to have a read of a non high heel thread, have a look at the 'pointless padantic' thread.

But promise me you dont loose the will to live.

nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

I was raised not to swear. The few times that I might have ripped one off while growing up caused my Mom to put a bar of soap in my mouth for a half hour at a time. God, what an ugly taste, like licking the side of a garbage truck. And I wasn't allowed to wash my mouth out to get rid of the taste either. Believe me, that taste stayed with you for a loonnng while. I guess Mom really knew what she was doing. Today, If I get the urge to swear...I just say these words..."Ratzin, fratzin, hickin looper". The rest is all inside your head. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

DawnHH wrote:

God, what an ugly taste,

Now, if you were really true to your convictions, you wouldn't have invoked God's name when complaining about the bad taste of that bar of soap..... :wink:

Keep it up Mel. Only 11 more posts to get out of those butt ugly comfy loafers.

Bubba136:-) If I had invoked God's name to his displeasure, I'm sure he would have struck me down a long time ago. And I'm not complaining...after all, it is the Rant Forum. Besides that...when was the last time you tasted a bar of soap? That taste sticks with you for a life-time. UGH! Cheers--- Dawn HH

Bubba136:-) Sorry that I missed your point entirely. As you know...it is sometimes hard to pick up on one's postings when not able to talk face to face, but over the net. No facial clues and the lack of a voice inflection sometimes throws you off also. Cheers--- Dawn HH