boys will be boys

terayon

yesterday at school they passed around an interesting letter, apparently the Discovery channel is going around to various schools in my area interviewing male students for a show they are doing called "boys will be boys" its all about masculinity and what makes boys boys, and why they act like they do....it will be interesting to see if they talk about fashion in it...should be cool

Well, boys can wear platform heel boots, snowboard 100 feet in the air, play football, be sensitive, get drunk, play ice hockey, cry, be loving, be career people, wear perfume, be strong, be brave, love girls, love boys......and so can girls do all those things so the concept of what makes boys, boys and girls, girls is bullshit. I don't think the programme will be interesting at all. Just another attempt at steroetyping genders and brainwashing by the media and society.

On 2002-05-08 23:26, Firefox wrote:

Well, boys can wear platform heel boots, snowboard 100 feet in the air, play football, be sensitive, get drunk, play ice hockey, cry, be loving, be career people, wear perfume, be strong, be brave, love girls, love boys......and so can girls do all those things so the concept of what makes boys, boys and girls, girls is bullshit. I don't think the programme will be interesting at all. Just another attempt at steroetyping genders and brainwashing by the media and society.

<font size="4">word!</font>

He he... This could be interesting. To bad my 10-year high school reunion was last year, I am getting to be an old fart. :smile: Terayon, you should get interviewed to show what it takes for a man to break a stereotypical trend.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

if i was the #1 popular guy in the school and no matter what i said or did everyone would still love and worship me then maybe id have the nerve to be different, but until that day comes i dont really want to stand out and "challenge the rules", i just dont know how well people would react....school is a lot different than work in respect to wearing heels because at work everyone is supposed to be proffesional, if someone swears at you or insults you, you can talk to your suprervisor and they get delt with swiftly and severely...not the same in highschool, if someone swears or is a dick to you, tough shit, you cant very well go narc them out to a teacher, and even if you do, the most a teacher will do is tell them to stop and then leave...so me wearing heels to school and being different is pretty much social suicide for me, im sure there are a few people that would think itd be cool, but i like my friends now and dont wanna be an outcast solely because of something i wear on my feet, i know that sounds dumb, but its the way it is... :smile:

High school is an awful place. And it is a shame that your friends aren't at the stage where they could except everything about you. I know it cannot happen and would not dare to say "if they laugh then you don't need them because they're not good friends" Someone catch the reference there. I hope I typed it right. You need to tough it out and get to University. Oh how wonderful it can be. Choose the right school, and you can do whatever you like. Goths, punks, hipsters, rappers, hippies, grungers, you name it, they're all there, expressing themselves. And there are so many people, all caught up in their studies, that no one cares very much. Just hold out for those days, Terayon, and you'll be free to be who you are at all times. And you will learn a lot more about who you are while you are there!

Actually you'd be surprised what people will accept in terms of different fashions. I'm constantly surprised. I take your point, I'm not at school where peer pressure is more important, and I didn't wear heels when I was at school, but even so people are more liberal than you'd believe.

• 5 years later...

There are, for example, homosexuals that go to public wearing their girl clothes, tell their parents thei're not boys, but girls and so on... And there are those who don't feel like doing so, living they "boy" lifes and so on... Both are doing the right thing, that's their point of view and their thruth about the matter. I've already seen men wearing high heels in public with man's clothes (don't know if they where gay at all), and though I did sort of envy them, I didn't think that would be something I'd like to do myself. Not because of the "implications", like compromising my masculinity, looking funny or odd, being criticized nor anything. I just prefer it the way it is. People make choices, and though they may look wrong for others, what they themselves think is what matters. My opinion, that is.:smile: