Advice please....

ILuvHeels

Hi ILH, I would seriously think about getting some toe cushions first. They make wearing of any ballet type footwear much more comfortable. Make sure they are tightly fastened, and don't try doing too much too soon. Practice standing in them, then try walking around. Within no time you'll be able to take them for a walk outdoors, where you need to keep a look out for downhill bits and other obstacles, but ballets are great fun - ENJOY! BB2000

I love the feel of that ultimate lift!

Good to hear you finally got yourself some. I want some knee boot ballets but that's a little while away. Please keep us informed about how they work out and how much support the ankle boots give, they would be nice to get because they are cheaper than knee boots. This brings me to my next question, where did you get them? I absolutly LOVE ballet boots -- hence the name -- but I don't have the means to keep them private as I'm still in school. I will get a pair as soone as I have my own place though, mark my words. EDIT:Forgot to add that I wanted the knee boots for the support but if the ankle boots have good support as well then I may start with those.

I'd suggest to start out sitting on a chair next to a table, preferebly on a hard floor, not carpet. This will give you something to hold on to as you try to add weight to your feet and give you a stable surface to stand on. -Do not- try to lock your knees first time out, more then likely you will end up putting too much weight on the heels combined with tipping your ankle back to compensate for your straight knee. This will cause the heel to be bent toward your toes and possibly breaking the heel off. I've seen this almost happen when a friend tried out a pair of my boots, and is one big reason alot of stores ask that you do not try to stand while trying on ballet boots in the store. If you don't find toe pads you can also use cotton balls as a temporary measure. I also hope your 2nd toe is not longer then your big toe... thats how mine is and that toe gets most of the weight if the padding isnt just right. oh well Have fun, keep us updated. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

YAY, I'm glad to hear SOMETHING about my foot goes in my favor. Each toe is shorter than the previous. As for advice. I'd say start on your bed -- especially if you have bedposts. Get used to laying in them and point your feet out as if you were standing. Then swing your legs over and SLOWLY work on putting weight down but keep your knees bent. If you can get all the way standing then use the posts for support -- granted you have them -- and maybe try to take a step or two. This whole process could take some time. Just be sure to be sure about everything before trying anything new.