Society and Heels

mskim61

...I think that a key factor though is the commercial reality of guys wearing heels. How about if every guy here writes off to stores, wether it be online or bricks and mortar. To querie about availability of heels for men. Make sure emails go to there Marketing department, marketing love the idea of increasing there market share. Hopefully if enough emails are received then they too will realize that there are a lot of guys out there with this interest and may start to market their products for men.

On a positive note, I’m enjoying my new found freedom in by boots, thanks to all.

With reference to appealing to the marketing departments of shoe manufacturers, this idea is nothing new to this forum--Gene Bujould was talking about it a couple of years ago. Some companies in the world have introduced heels for men and larger sizes that can accomodate men's feet: Dior Homme, a runway show in London, Yves St Laurent, Nine West and Bandolino (size 12) to name a few.

Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme recently launched a new line of heels for men.

http://dianepernet.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dior_homme_heels.jpg

Here's an interesting thread at The Fashion Spot that covers this issue:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29192&page=1&pp=20&highlight=men+heels

I went by the Dior shop today on 57th street and right in their main storefront window were Hedi Slimane's new heels! I'm not fond of them enough that I would buy them for myself, but I surely rejoice when other men buy and wear them--and was glad to see that Slimane's new line graced Dior's primary window front in Manhattan.

Rui Leondardes just unveiled a line of stilettos for men at a London runway show...he titled his series, "Offend!"

Graduate's high heels for men are staggering for models

By Hilary Alexander, Fashion Director

(Filed: 10/06/2004)

While women have for decades plundered the male wardrobe, few men have been happy to embrace feminine sartorial style.

But Rui Leonardes, a young shoe designer, took a step towards balancing the score at the Royal College of Art's MA Fashion Graduate show in London yesterday with a collection of high heels for men.

Male models wearing high-heeled shoes from Leonardes' collectionHis models teetered down the catwalk in six-inch, spike-heeled stilettoes. The shoes, ingeniously constructed, were hand-made in a mix of leather, denim, tweed, wool and bright nylon to match various suits and trousers. One bright pink floral pair came with a matching jumpsuit.

"I wanted to question masculine stereotypes," said Leonardes, originally from the Azores.

"I practised walking in them myself for two days. It's not too bad. It's a bit like walking in cowboy boots, only higher."

The models were not so sure. "I was certain I was going to fall over," said Tilal Imani.

Thomas Donocik added: "They pinch your toes a bit, but I don't mind. It's very rock 'n' roll."

Tibor Rohaly, a tutor in menswear technology at the RCA, had just 15 minutes backstage to master the art of the catwalk stiletto-strut when one of the male models was pronounced incapable of walking without wobbling. Other menswear collections featured variations on the skirt and kilt, with Dracula cloaks and suiting recurrent favourites.

Womenswear tended to be warrior-like and the footwear was generally practical and flat.

Stephanie Aman's collection featured chain-mail and silver lace battle-tunics emblazoned with crusader crosses, accessorised with knee-high gladiator boots.

Vrettos Vrettakos showed leather corsetry, seamed and pleated like armour, with flimsy chiffon draperies and Boadicea boots.

The Royal College of Art show, which featured the work of 29 MA graduates, brought the 2005 student fashion season to a close.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Naturally, "Offend!" was designed for the runway and many times runway fashions gather their value from shock and entertainment more than practical everyday fashionability.

Yves Saint Laurent has a three-inch heeled "Jonny" boot for which Lenny Kravitz supposedly has 8 pairs. Gary0618 at one point posted a pic, but now the link is broken. I'll have to ask him if he has another URL source.

Within the last 18 months Nine West and Bandolino have added a large assortment of size 12's to their menu's showing at least some sensitivity to the need for bigger sized shoes.

While the above indicators in no way permanently carve the future for men in heels to the tastes we here at the forum seek, they do at least provide some level of positive progression within the limits of current society.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, shakala! Glad to here your out and about in your boots. At this point in time, I think we are our best PR. I've come to realise that so what if it never becomes accepted in my lifetime. Does anybody think that's actually going to stop me?

Exactly! The opinion in our heads is more important than the opinion of society. So what if I get a giggle or two (I've been under the breath giggled at by women). Its not like that is going to stop me from feeling comfortable with myself or stop me from future street heeling endeavors.

And thus along the same line of thinking that had developed here, our reputation with ourself matters more than our reputation with others. Today I went to Barnes and Noble in Chelsea in totally casual attire: wearing my New York Dark Seven's, my Bandolino croco print pumps, and a black Zara tshirt. Nothing fancy at all. Went to my favorite self help section, browsed the books on cognitive psychology, and walked around the travel section a bit before heading out for dinner. The time in Barnes and Noble was completely uneventful--I think the staff in there is getting used to seeing me in pumps too.

For dinner, I treated myself to the Meat Packing District (an area in the West Village that has completely transformed from a Butcher shop haven into a colossal empire of European style sidewalk cafe dining and trendy, beautiful people to go with it.) The sights of women in heels were infinite as women out here tend to take really good care of themselves. Here is a pic of the bar I stopped in for a pre-dinner drink. I went on to eat a brick oven grilled pizza and an assortment of mesculun and various greens for an appetizer. Still not a nod from anyone...a very calm evening so far. A guy at the table next to me started up a conversation with me about what I did for a living, where i lived, what he did for a living, where he met his date at (a beautiful Iranian woman). The heels really don't matter at all, especially when you get to impress people with your personality and down to earthness. On the way back to my friends car, I passed a series of VERY large athletically built jocks (dressed trendy they were though). They looked down at my shoes, but quickly went about their own business within seconds. I feel comfortable with the double takes though--it comes with the territory.

And here is a picture of me in front of the Salvatore Ferragamo shop on Fifth Avenue in the ensemble described above. I am inches from coming out to my family and once I do that, I'll reveal the entire me.

It sounds like you had a most interesting outing, kneehighs. Clearly, you're quite comfortable in your own skin and have no problem going where you want, dressed how you want. I said this on other posts before: we can't afford to worry how the world will react to us when out and about in heels. While it's nice to get positive reinforcement from those around us, we shouldn't expect it. I'm content to just go about my business and if someone want to compliment me, I'll take it gladly.

By the by, something about the pic of that model wearing those jeans from that link you provided ($132.00 a pair? OUCH!! Too rich for my blood! HA!) caught my eye. This is going to sound stupid, but the midsection looks suspiciously like a man's, even with the heels. The Bandolino croco print pumps look really sharp, I take it they don't come in 13 wide, otherwise I'd be interested in a pair. As for coming out, I'm sure that will be a courageous thing for you to do. Good luck to you with that.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

What a great evening kneehighs. I find it incredibly easy going almost anywhere in heels. People also have no problems striking up a converstion with me. The funny thing is I get the impression that people seem to want to know what's up with a guy wearing heels, but will never mention them.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

There's nothing wrong with your outfit, kneehighs. I'm not surprised that you didn't stir up more attraction than you did. However, "coming out" to your family might be a little more difficult because they are the people that know you the best. It is a little more stressful to both you and them because the confession you admit with your appearance might just be a little more than they can immediately accept and absorb at one sitting. Given time, I'm positive, though, they will see that you are the same person they've known all of your life and that heels and female jeans are just outer garmets covering the living soul of the person they love.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

An interesting outing there kneehighs. I had a similar experience in Brighton a week ago, where the only "obvious" looks I got were from 2 women sitting in street cafes as I walked past. They were probably surprised I could walk in heels or maybe just intreged. Nothing negative. :wink:

And here is a picture of me in front of the Salvatore Ferragamo shop on Fifth Avenue in the ensemble described above. I am inches from coming out to my family and once I do that, I'll reveal the entire me.

I think this outfit looks great! It looks like something both a man and a woman can easily carry off, and you carry it off brilliantly. The t-shirt works brilliantly with jeans and pumps. This is a similar look I pulled off in Brighton (pale blue FCUK t-shirt, light blue bootcut jeans and black mary-jane style pumps - looked at my reflection in a window and thought "I look good!":D).

Hope all goes well when you come out. It'll be a shock but they'll get over that and love you for who you are, NOT what you wear! (Which looks great on you anyway!). I've only come out about ladies' shoes to my girlfriend, and she was very understanding (if a little shocked!) :lol:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Kneehighs:-) It sounds like you had a great time out and about in your black patent heels. The black on both ends and the blue jeans in the middle makes for a dandy street-heeling outfit. It looks great on you. I have a very similar outfit that I have used several times in my street-heeling. A black short-sleeved t-shirt over blue indigo boot-cut jeans and a pair of black heeled knee boots to finish off the look. Very comfortable, very sexy, and very much fun. Good luck with your coming out to your family and I hope all goes well for you when you do this. Keep us all posted on what happens there. BTW...What size of ladies shoes do you wear and what heel height do you use in your street-heeling? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dawn, I wear an 11 or 12. The black croco pump heels are 3.5" and usually I go no higher than 4" for street heeling.

everyone thanks for the compliments. I forgot to add that the gentleman who started a convo with me said he thought I was a creative type...wonder why he said that?

:wink:

Dawn, I wear an 11 or 12. The black croco pump heels are 3.5" and usually I go no higher than 4" for street heeling.

everyone thanks for the compliments. I forgot to add that the gentleman who started a convo with me said he thought I was a creative type...wonder why he said that?

:lol:

Size 12, eh? I envy you! As for the gentlemen who said he thought you were a creative type, perhaps he thought you were some sort of artist and had subscribed to the stereotype that artists tend to be, well, flaky and free-spirited, not that it's a bad thing.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Should anyone hear from someone with confidence to wear their heels anywhere, they need only read some of the comments posted by Shafted. He bit the bullet, put on his boots and hasn't looked back. He and thighbootguy lead the way across the outside in heels world. Anyone wanting to wear heels in public should get a lot of confidence from their experiences.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Size 12, eh? I envy you! As for the gentlemen who said he thought you were a creative type, perhaps he thought you were some sort of artist and had subscribed to the stereotype that artists tend to be, well, flaky and free-spirited, not that it's a bad thing.

Oh yeah, no doubt he thought the latter, but in a context of respect. There was absolutely no tone of condencension in his voice at all. I guess I should clarify that I've already come out to my mother, years ago. I thought she would tell my dad, but she didn't. So when I use the word family, I could have used the word "dad" which more accurately describes the situation. No brothers or sisters for me either.

There's nothing wrong with your outfit, kneehighs.

I agree. If I thought there was something wrong with it, I wouldn't have worn it to begin with. :lol:

Should anyone hear from someone with confidence to wear their heels anywhere, they need only read some of the comments posted by Shafted. He bit the bullet, put on his boots and hasn't looked back. He and thighbootguy lead the way across the outside in heels world. Anyone wanting to wear heels in public should get a lot of confidence from their experiences.

Very true, but contributions aren't limited to just Shafted and thighbootguy. Magickman, Heel-D, JeffB, canadianbeaver17, and a host of others all provide inspiration as well.

Thanks Bubba! While thighbootguy and I both chronicle our adventures out and about we have only built upon the successes of those who came before us. It reallys give my posts added meaning when someone reads it and becomes inspired.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Kneehighs:-) Thanks for the up-date on your shoe size and heel height for street-heeling. I try to stay within that same range of 3" to 4" for my heel height for on the street also. Even though your Mom never told your Dad that you wear heels, do you suppose that he suspects and has said nothing to you? Do you still live at home? How and when do you propose to enlighten your Dad about your heels? It was because of the pioneer public street-heelers on this board that caused me to start my street-heeling shortly after I joined the board. After reading of their adventures I figured..."If they can do it, so can I. Why should they have all of the fun" And I haven't looked back since. Cheers--- Dawn HH

It was because of the pioneers that I started heeling too. I started reading the forums when the delphi forum was still up. I never posted there though. Before hhplace, I only street heeled a few times and at that time I lived in the Detroit area. I remember going into an Enzo Angiolini shop and asking the assistant if she thought it was okay if I wore these shoes. She asked me to try them on. So I did. She looked down at them and said they looked good and encouraged me to buy them. After that, I was always welcome on my return visits to that store. At the same store with a different assistant, I asked her the same question. This time, she even suggested a shoe with a small 2" heel. I never forget that girl and her pretty auburn hair and deep blue eyes. Another time, I purchased a pair of 3.5" heeled loafers and wore them out in an area called Royal Oak. This is an area North of Detroit with alot of nightlife and restaurants. Most times, I restricted my wear of women's shoes to lower 2" heels. I remember telling a date about them. She said it was no big deal. So on our next date, I wore my 2" Nine West black heeled loafers on our date and she was totally cool with it. There were a few other occasssions too. One time I had a date and she was sooo intrigued by me wearing womens shoes, she wanted to see them all. So when we went back to my place, I showed her. She pulled them out of the bag I had them in and put them on the floor side by side. Then she tried on a pair and walked around a little bit. After that, she asked me to put on a pair and then she gave me a foot massage with my shoes on...they were t-strap 2.5" block heeled shoes, so the I could feel the silky skin of her soft hands massage the part of my foot that was exposed. I dated another girl and told her about the shoe thing too. She had no problem with it either. In fact, she admitted to giving a pair of her knee high boots with the buckle across the vamp to a male friend of hers. On another occassion, one of my female friends at a nightclub who also wore a size 11 traded shoes with me one time. She let me wear them around only for a short time though. Before hhplace, my high heel street heeling was really, really limited. I have to credit firefox and xaphod with being my initial primary inspiration. And do I live with my parents? No, I live in a small, overpriced 450 sq. ft. one bedroom apartment. As far as coming out to my dad, he is an extremely well travelled individual, having been all over the world. My opinion is that people who travel usually have an open mind towards people different from themselves. I think his response would be neutral at worst. Kind of like, "Oh, I guess, if thats whay you want to do go ahead. People might think you are gay if you do, but if thats what you want to do, go ahead." I want to wait for the right time to bring the topic up and I want to do it in person. Pursuant to the input of Bubba and Emery my buddy this will be an issue addressed with supreme tact, poise, and timing. Problem is, my parents retired-- in their dream 7,000 sq foot home replete with domes that light up at night and waterfalls in their yard-- on the side of a mountain outside of the USA. Thus, I don't get to see them that often. And when I do travel, I admit, I am a bit selfish as I like to see new places, not just where my mom and dad live. Anyways, I feel like Ive accidentally hijacked this thread that covers a broader issue--society and men in heels.

hey, kneehighs, don't wait to long between visits to your parents. They won't be around forever. Both of mine are gone and I miss them both mightly. I think of them at least 10 or 15 times each day.

Kneehighs:-) Once again, thanks for the up-dates. Bubba has the right idea. You only have one set of parents and when they are gone...they are gone. Of course we miss them and miss them dearly. They won't be back. Spend as much time with your parents as possible and enjoy them while they are here. You can always take trips to other places once your parents are gone. Both of my parents have been gone many, many years now but I think of them often. Both myself and the wife talk about them often, the things that they did, the things that they said, the feelings and ideas that they had as if they were still here on earth. Enjoy them while you can. Cheers--- Dawn HH

....snip.... Before hhplace, my high heel street heeling was really, really limited.

I have to credit firefox and xaphod with being my initial primary inspiration. ......

Aw, shucks ..... I've come shy all over :wink:

Xa

Kneehighs, Great outfit...stylish and well put together! This board is a great inspiration. People here encourage to move forward with this shoe preference!! TO my, IMHO, the best part is to realize that there are many who share this same taste in shoes. great hearing from you KH! Pam

Shakala, I was in Sydney in April and wore heeled clogs and mules there. Walked all over the city, went to Manly beach, Centennial Park, Bondi beach and The Rocks. Even went shoe shopping with my wife but didn't find anything for myself. Too bad we didn't know to arrange to get together, mate. Next visit maybe. Love your city. Been there three times. GWL

Ahh thanks Knee Highs. Well, I'd almost given up trying to encourage people. Some people seemed so illogical about it even though that's what they wanted, they'd talk themselves out of it so I thought "what's the use?" Still one convert makes it worth the effort!