Driving While High----High Heeled That Is!

JeffB

Well, I finally went and did it. I bought a car! Not new, can't afford that, rather a used 2000 Camry XLE with a peppy V6, leather seats and more than a few other goodies. One of the things I wanted to do with this car was to experiment with driving in heels, which I did just yesterday. Donning a beige polo shirt, black dress pants, off-black knee-highs and my black Pleaser Seduce 420 pumps in black, I hopped in the car and headed into town. Admittedly, it was different using the pedals while wearing five inchers, I had to position my foot a little higher on the pedals to accomodate the heel, but I was able to acclimate quickly as the shoes didn't hinder me or affect my reaction times between accelerating and braking. But the real fun came when I got to the center city area and decided to do some walking around. I had a couple errands to run which gave me an excuse to stroll the streets in the pumps. The first stop was at the bank to deposit a check, even though it was 10 a.m. and the streets were filled with people, yet, as near as I could tell, next to no one gave me much in the way of double takes or startled glances, especially as I was in line for a teller for nearly ten minutes and was in plain view. The second errand was to Kinko's to copy some documents. The store was a good two blocks away from the bank, and I took my time while walking there (there's no such thing as hurrying in five inchers!), and again, I didn't see much in the way of double takes and whatnot. But then, I didn't look for any. At the store, a customer at a nearby copy machine did give my feet a quick glance but said nothing as I went about my business. Once I finished, it was back to the car, which was some three blocks away, but decided at the last minute to have a little fun as I boarded a bus and rode to the street where it was. No, my feet weren't hurting, I just wanted to show off a little for some public transit riders. Once back at the care, parked across the street from a Borders book store, I made another snap decision to go inside (I had 30 minutes on my meter) and window shop. The store had three floors and I purposely wandered all three, slowly and casually looking around so other shoppers could see the shoes. Again, nothing in the way of commotion, lengthy stares and the like. With time winding down, I bought the latest issue of Sports Illustrated then went to the checkout where, after a five minute wait, I finally got a response from the cashier who, when I got to the counter smiled and said "Nice shoes, sir. They look good on you." I returned the smile and thanked the lady who nodded back. Then it was back to the car and back home. All in all, I was in the crowded downtown area, wearing five inch heels for nearly an hour and a half and encountered no bad incidents, but got a compliment. And I gained valuable experienc driving in heels which I had never done before and discovered it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. A very good trip indeed! :wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have only two experiences driving in heels. First one I was wearing my pair of red ankle strap sandals with rhinestones, 5 inch stilettos, just a ride around neighborhood, no incidents. Second one, was wearing a pair of beige ankle strap sandals, 4 1/2 inch stilettos. The ankle strap double cross my ankles, and I like them very much, one of my first pairs of heels. This time I had to do a little walk till my car parked on the street in front of my house, no incidents too. It took me just a few minutes to get used to the heels and pedals, but soon was driving as was not wearing heels. My next step will probably be driving in heels togheter with my wife, but I intend only to show her my heels in the middle of the ride.

No shoe is better than a sexy pair of stilettos!

Congratulations guys, Sounds like Jeff had a good time out on the town and good luck DeSalto on showing your wife the heels on your drive. Jeff, keep us informed on your heel wearing around town and just how much of the show shows with your dress pants. I haven't been out much in my heels and enjoy your reports to help my wearing courage. If you need any advice on that fine Camry,just ask as I run the service desk at a Toyota dealership. Jim

Congratulations, Jeff. Good selection. The Camry is an nice automobile. Actually though, owning a car can be more of a problem that wearing heels in public. The constant irritation of taking care automitive problems, i.e. drivers license, insurance, registration, maintenance and, for city dwellers, finding parking spaces, is almost more than a car is worth. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Jeff, keep us informed on your heel wearing around town and just how much of the show shows with your dress pants. I haven't been out much in my heels and enjoy your reports to help my wearing courage.

If you need any advice on that fine Camry,just ask as I run the service desk at a Toyota dealership.

Jim

Really? Son of a gun! Walt Disney was right! It IS a small world after all! HA! Regarding the Camry, I had done some research on the car before going to a Toyota dealership little over a mile from my house. A got a good deal on the car and it's quite nice to drive. As for my outing, I'm glad you enjoyed reading about it, and that it helped build your courage. To be honest, I've never actively measured just how much of the heels show while wearing my dress pants, but a good guess would be somewhere around two inches, perhaps three. But I have no problem letting the heels show when I'm out and about, for me, that's part of the fun!

Actually though, owning a car can be more of a problem that wearing heels in public. The constant irritation of taking care automitive problems, i.e. drivers license, insurance, registration, maintenance and, for city dwellers, finding parking spaces, is almost more than a car is worth.

Oh, I already know about all that, having last owned a car seven years ago until finances became strapped and I had to sell it. Even though I do live in the city, none of those things you mentioned (and you forgot the ever escalating price of gas) takes away from the sheer fun that comes from driving. Now I can go places and do things in heels that were flat out impossible when I was a slave to mass transit! I'm already looking forward to more adventures!

:wink:

Hi, JeffB - congrats on your new car. The Camry is indeed a fine vehicle. As for the lack of reaction, it's because no one cares anymore. Sure - you might find pockets of resistance, but for the most part, it's now "anything goes," provided nudity isn't a player.

JeffB - A Camery is a nice car. A pair of thigh boots will fit nicely under the seat, at least they do in mine. It's always nice to have a pair handy.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for the compliments on my wheels! I hope to be able to go out on plenty of jaunts to place in my heels that would've been impossible to manage on mass transit. I'm pretty well excited at the prospect! :lol: Driving to New York? No thanks! Did that once ten years ago and it was a disaster! I'll never do that again! :wink:

i remember many years ago when i used to travel a 3.5 mile journey from work to home in my battered old datsun cherry that i drove whilst wearing a pair a white 5inch stilettoe court shoes, later i changed to a (you guessed it) a toyota camry 1.8 GL which was far easier as it was automatic

I enjoyed another outing, thanks to my new set of wheels. On Sunday, I took a little trip out to the burbs, garbed in a dark blue polo shirt, snug jeans with a long inseam and my Payless 3 1/2 heeled ankle boots in black. Regarding the jeans, I've been interested in wearing a long inseam which virtually covers the entire heel, a current favorite among women. While I have no fear of showing my heels in public, I've long been curious about the long style which looked nice on me. First stop, lunch at Burger King, it was almost 1 p.m. when I strolled into the store, there were only half a dozen people at the tables, one of who was a staffer on her break. She heard my heels on the floor and glanced down at my feet, however, she didn't say anything while her expression remained neutral. While I waited in line for my order, a typical family of four came in from the playground area, the kids, both girls, and no older than I'd say, four or five were giggling all over the place, yet they didn't pay any attention to me. After getting my order, I sat at a table only ten feet away from the BK staffer who stole little glances at my feet from time to time while I ate. I pretended not to notice. After lunch, I drove a couple of miles down the road to my favorite shopping hangout: Best Buy. Even on a Sunday, the place is fairly well packed, not looking for anything in particular, I simply strolled around the place, checking out the HDTV's, audio equipment (I already have one, but love looking at the display models), video equipment (I have my eye on a DVD/VHS recorder combo), CD's, DVD's, computer equipment, I was all over the place, just taking my time, going out of my way to kneel down at times to look at a particular item, thus displaying my heels, yet no one as far as I could tell batted an eyelash. I wound up spending over an hour in the store before buying a couple of DVD's. All in all, it was a good little trip. Reactions to my heels were next to none that I could tell. Did I "get away" with not being noticed? Hardly. I'm sure people noticed me, they simply chose not to say anything, nothing that I would've minded if they did. Anyway, I'm thinking I may try a large mall for my next high heeled driving trip and see what happens....

Sounds like you had a good day out, Jeff. This reminds me that I need to go get the shoes that I intend to keep from out of my trunk. I'm only going to keep 5-6 pairs, then start anew with the space cleared up.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Excellent day you had there Jeff. Heeling in new places is always a thrill, reactions or not.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Excellent day you had there Jeff. Heeling in new places is always a thrill, reactions or not.

I agree one hundred percent! Wearing heels to places I've been to dozens of times makes what's normally a humdrum outing a damn near magical experience. It's hard to describe the feeling, the sense of excitement from being out and about in heels beyond the office. And it's a feeling I plan on enjoying again and again!

The long jean look is my favorite.... I prefer womens low rise jeans because - first - they just fit better and - second - the the narrower leg cuts - even a boot flair - looks very nice with the heels. The trouble with this look is you have to - like the ladies - have "normal" and "Long" (or for you JeffB, normal and shorter) pairs of jeans in your wardrobe. I have had little trouble catching the heel on the cuff and long as your step carefully. An advantage of the ladies jeans is that as long as you stay away from the high end designer stylles - that don't come in my size anyway - you get a higher quality jean for the money.

The long jean look is my favorite.... I prefer womens low rise jeans because - first - they just fit better and - second - the the narrower leg cuts - even a boot flair - looks very nice with the heels. The trouble with this look is you have to - like the ladies - have "normal" and "Long" (or for you JeffB, normal and shorter) pairs of jeans in your wardrobe. I have had little trouble catching the heel on the cuff and long as your step carefully. An advantage of the ladies jeans is that as long as you stay away from the high end designer stylles - that don't come in my size anyway - you get a higher quality jean for the money.

Well, I found that I enjoyed wearing long jeans, and that they looked good on me. I made a note to buy a size up so they'd be nice and snug on me, however the jeans I bought were men's since I couldn't find women's jeans in all the stores I visited that were long enough for my needs since I'm 6-2 and was looking for an inseam of 36 inches in order to make this look work. And the jeans I did find were only $29.99, pretty darn cheap if you ask me. Like I said, the long jean look suits me quite nicely and I can't wait to wear them out with heels again!

Thanks for the info, tallguy! Well, I went on another outing in my long jeans this morning, this time to the supermarket for grocery shopping wearing off-black knee highs and the Ros Hommerson 4 inch heel "Ingra" pumps as my shoe of choice. The market was already bustling with people when I arrived around nine a.m., but I didn't mind that as I got out of the car, grabbed a cart and went inside. Normally, I rarely spend more than twenty minutes in the store as I only shop for one and that never takes long, but I delibertly took my time, going from aisle to aisle, the heels of the Ingras were noticeably loud on the tile floor, so I'm sure people noticed, even with the jeans hiding most of the shoes, still, while there were a few turned heads and double takes here and there, no one actually said anything to me. I almost found that disappointing. After over thirty minutes of shopping, I went to checkout which was uneventful until the lady who rang up my purchases saw the toes of the shoes as she handed me my change and said in a conversational tone, "Those are unusual looking men's shoes." (no doubt, she made that comment because of the semi-pointed toes). With a grin, I lifted one leg so she could see the entire shoe, hosiery and all and I replied, "That's because they're not men's shoes." The lady's eyes widened slightly, then she grinned and said, "You're right. Have a nice day." I expected les than a positive response, yet, the cashier was cordial towards me. And thus ended another successful outing in the long jeans. :wink:

JeffB:-) Congrats on picking up a favorable comment from that cashier. Mickey and I went to the Mall this evening to do some shopping. This is the first time that I have been in heels since she had surgery on her arm on May 25th. After shopping we had a bite at the food court and then took in a movie. Neither one of us noticed any stares and we didn't receive any comments from anyone, but we had a great time and I could once again spend several hours driving and walking again in my heels. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Glad to hear you and Mickey had a good time. having a car gives me the freedom to venture far and wide in my heels that I couldn't do when I was a slave to mass transit. And each new outing builds my confidence, boosting my desire to travel to new places in heels. I've definitely got a major mall as my next destination. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next! :wink:

Glad to hear you and Mickey had a good time. having a car gives me the freedom to venture far and wide in my heels that I couldn't do when I was a slave to mass transit.

That's pretty much what a car gives you anyway - heels or no heels! I've definitely visited more far and wide places since I've been driving. In the future it will definitely give me the chance to go heeling in places where I'm more anomynous. :wink:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

JeffB, when we lived in Manassas, VA, we used to shop at Patomac Mills, an outlet mall just off of I-95, South, near Woodbridge/Dale City, Virginia -- in Prince William County. There were a couple of good stores that had nice shoes. One was a Nine West store and had some really good deals on boots the last time we were there....which was several years ago. (I really loved the store that sold Cinnamon Buns ---- they were so good.) The mall that you really should check out if you want to visit a lot of shoe stores is at Tyson's corners in Vienna, Va. They have a lot of shoe stores. Just look at Sunday's Washington Post for a listing of them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Thanks for the tips, Bubba! When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Norfolk, so I've heard of those places you mentioned. But I'd have to avoid the cinnamon buns as I need to lose a few pounds from my midsection! :wink:

It's been many, many years, but I still remember just how liberated I felt the first time I was out in my first car. It felt like I had been reborn. No, I wasn't wearing heels that day. I felt that I had better get used to driving in flats since I had just gotten my license and needed much more practice in controlling a stick shift motor car. Driving in heels came later. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

It's been many, many years, but I still remember just how liberated I felt the first time I was out in my first car. It felt like I had been reborn. No, I wasn't wearing heels that day. I felt that I had better get used to driving in flats since I had just gotten my license and needed much more practice in controlling a stick shift motor car. Driving in heels came later.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Well, I'm an automatic man, so don't hold that against me! :wink:

Yeah, that sense of liberation is a wonderful thing. I had forgotten what that felt like, and I mean to rediscover that simple joy as a car gives me many more places to wear heels than I would via mass transit.