CHRIST JESUS ALMIGHTY HALLELUJAH - Connection Difficulties

yes , eventually after about 30 attempts using 3 different browsers and various links , keywords, right- clicking i have FINALLY managed to get into the forum-WHAT IS GOING ON?- IT IS HAPPENING TOO OFTEN- FINE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND THEN- GONE- NOTHING FINITO ZILCH NOWT- and yet i can access all other kinds of websites these annoying probs are happening TOO OFTEN- when i will be able to re-enter and read any replies christ only knows i finally managed to get thru from (after several attempts even there) on jennys page link firefox you have a far greater understanding of pc matters than i do- so please sort these probs out as from my limited understanding you have selected again a wrong isp/server etc

What are you talking about? (For some reason, I wasn't able to access the forum when I tried about 9 AM USA ESt this morning. But, was able to get in after 6 PM USA EST.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I too noticed some down-time (meaning the site was inaccessible for a while) but I just figured it was Internet flakiness. The site was back on-line later. There are so many routers, switches, hubs and trunk lines involved in the functionality of the Internet that it's hard to tell exactly where the problem lies. If something doesn't work just try again later. If a server truly is down, the outage will persist and there's not all that much we can do about it from this side of the keyboard.

Have a happy time!

yep, I noticed it being down as well, but I trust this ISP, I am sure Jeff whent to a lot of trouble getting a reliable one. taliheels, can you tell me what configuration you now have set up on your PC so that you can join in all the fun? It would be worth while knowing for any other folk struggling with the same problems. thanks, Nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

I myself am willing to put up with the sort of downtime the server has recently experienced rather than being hacked again.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Yep I noticed the lack of accessibility from time to time after the switch over to the new server, sounds like it has a few bugs that need to be worked out.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I have had problems getting through from time to time also, but have faith in Jeff that he will prevail on any problems that need to be solved. I'm still not being notified of replies from the Forum members when they post even though I have the proper spot checked that I should be notified. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

To answer your question from this side of the Atlantic, I tried to access it all day yesterday and again this morning. I just managed to get into the forum about 20:15 EDT tonight. So, it must be the board was down.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yea it was down, but I still say it's a damn sight better than being hacked and losing a couple of months of data.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Don't ask me why but every now and then the webserver stops serving pages while the rest of the server is runnning Ok. I'll be looking into this.. Normally I notice this within a couple of hours and I fix it but now I was out and had no Internet access, so it took a little longer. The site is now being hosted from a virtual server which gives me (almost) full control (as opposed to only ftp/http with normal webhosting). But since hosting through these virtual machines is rather new (as is the ISP who provides it to me), it is not unlikely that there are some problems here and there. Main reason why I decided to try this virtual server concept is that we lost precious data with our previous ISP (who btw. was elected Best ISP in the Netherlands by some computer magazine!) because they didn't seem to understand how backups work. Now with this virtual server I have (almost) full control of the server the site is hosted on, that includes making backups etc. Whether or not this was the right choice... Only time will tell.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Your effort is appreciated Jeff. And it's not the end of the world if it is down for a few hours - life goes on! But some of us are so dependent on this important community that the panicking starts easily :wink: Bert

What's all the fuss about?

I second Bert's expressions of appreciation, Jeff. My comments weren't critical of the fact that the site might occasionally go off-line for a time. My interest was in learning if the problem was with my computer (which has been acting-up lately) or with the website.

Jeff, The fact that this site is still here speaks for itself. Good job and thanks!

Sorry I didn't answer but Jeff's the man to speak to about the site hosting although I can sometimes help with a variety of other computer problems. For the record I use a variety of browsers myself. IE, and Mozilla FF, internet cafe's equipment and a variety of connections, cable, dialups, broadband etc. I very rarely have connection problems, except when the site was down due to hackers. If you have a connection problem it's usually better to try a few hours later, then the next day, then keep trying every day after that. Only if a site is down for a week or more should you start to worry. Usually connection problems are due to spurious internet/server faults and will sort themselves out in a matter of minutes/hours.

I would like you to know that I have been kicked off of the Forum several times tonight and had to reenter and start all over from scratch each time. It is a bit frustrating at best, but I guess that that too will pass hopefully. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I just lost a couple of posting days again here also. The blurb that I got read..."The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The web site might be experiencing technical difficulties. can not find the server". AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!! Cheers--- Dawn HH

All the more reason for using a text editor for composing your responses. I myself have had difficulty in accessing, but discovered that on a second or third attempt the page would load fine. It's a nuesance for me but nothing more. As a point of reference I'm using a cable modem at 100 mb/s connection speed. If I was still on dial up I'd probably be pulling my hair out.

getting into this site is a 50/50 affair for me, but i dont want to take things for granted and echo skirted- uk's words of appreciation

please read and respond to your replies!

Hi,

What is your current set up, please let us know so that others dont go through the fustrations you have gone through.

We are here to help each other, what have you done to get things running?

Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

I've been having the same problem, and I'm on DSL. No problems accessing other message boards, though. Sounds to me like the problem is with the web hosting company or with an internetworking node behind which they're located.

please read and respond to your replies!

Hi,

What is your current set up, please let us know so that others dont go through the fustrations you have gone through.

We are here to help each other, what have you done to get things running?

Nigel

nigel i have done absolutely NOTHING to get things running- I am using b/band 512kbps, mozilla browser- that is all i know about my "current set up"

• 1 month later...

TO ALL DISSATISFIED POSTERS/MEMBERS!!! Dawn HH will probably kill me for posting my dissatisfaction with the performance & maintenance of this forum. I may not post often or very much but I do enjoy reading & viewing the posts of others - however, it seems to me your system is down more than it should be. Night after Night (day after day) we can not access the forum - WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM??? I have read the posts of appreciation to Jeff & I am sure he deserves it but there is still a HUGE PROBLEM SOMEWHERE WITH YOUR SYSTEM - could it possibly be with the PROVIDER??? This is the third day we could not access the system till later in the afternoon today (9/11/05). Out of a 7 day week, the connection to the forum has been about 3 days - now tell us there isn't a problem. It sure is a blessing we are not paying for the luxury of being a member of this forum. This is just my thoughts - a wife of a disappointed poster. TOOTLES!!! Mickey68

Mickey68 (and other ranters :-)), I read most of the messages you write here in the Rant forum, and I sure as hell know that hosting of the board s*cks right now. And it's your good right to rant all about it here, that's why it's for ofcourse. :wink: But from some of the rants I get the idea that you just don't know why we are in the situation as it is now. Not that this would help very much, but it's always nice to know the complete picture I think. So if you browse a little bit back to another message of mine in this very same topic, you'll see why the situation is as it is. We are with this new isp for about 5 months now and a conclusion that it's not a very reliable one is becoming quite evident. So it's very likely that we'll switch isp's before the contract with this one ends in may next year. The moments this switch will be made will be choosen by me and very much depends on the free time I have on my hands and some other circumstances.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler