Is this shoe as gender neutral as I think (warning, flat hee

onyourtoes

Posted Image

I just bought a pair of Nike Hermosa Mules in dark blue. I have no problem wearing them anywhere.

My question is why does Nike, and other companies with similar products, only make them in women's sizes? It really p***s me off that I have call or go to many stores, hear "uuuh, I think they only go as large as 10" and finally end up getting them online.

They fit perfectly, but it would have been nice to be able to try them on in a store first. I wear US women's 11, and Nike does make them as large as 12.

I guess if it's not brown, flat, and just like decade's style, they won't even try to sell it to men. </rant>

I think the above might be a bit incoherent, but I guess this topic has been discussed a few hundred times before. It's just the dismay that not only don't they sell men's thigh high 7 inch heel boots in stores, they don't even sell blue open back sneakers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: onyourtoes on 2002-05-04 18:21 ]</font>

I think they know their business, and realize that men are so scared to try anything interesting that very few men would wear a sneaker like this. Most guys really don't have an eye for fashion at all, and they need their mothers and wives to dress them. I have heard more than one man say he likes the fact that suits are required in his profession, so he doesn't have to think about what he's going to wear. There's just no way for one of us to relate to it!

My question is why does Nike, and other companies with similar products, only make them in women's sizes...

Because it's a market. If they thought they would sell to enough people they would make them in bigger sizes. People who think like us only represent a few percent of the market, and tooling costs etc dictate they must be able to sell in bulk. Schue had a go selling men's platforms and heels a couple of years back, but I don't think they sold very well. The market's not ready yet, but give it time and I think things will move somewhat in our direction. It will never be big fashion though.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I wonder if they would make them in a sling back? :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-05-05 01:52 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I can see young men wearing such a style, with baggy denim shorts, loose shirts and ball caps. I think it would be appropriate for summer. After all, it is based on a clog design, and in Europe, aren't clogs a unisex style? My grandfather owns clogs, ones made in Denmark. So I am thinking that a more athletic style from Nike has to be just as acceptable.

Once in a great while I see a man wearing clogs, so it is safe to say it is not a widely accepted unisex stile in the U.S.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Clogs are certainly still worn by men on the european mainland. I believe also that they are still made and worn in the north of england, for use in heavy industry. I remember when we were returning from Euroheel on the ferry, most of the other passengers were truck drivers, and a high proportion of them wore clogs. With us in our heels and the cloggies there was hardly a "normal" shoe to be seen :smile:

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Laurie - I bought a pair of black suede sneaker mules earlier this year so there's at least one pair in male ownership - but then we're enlightened on this board :smile: I shall also be getting a new pair of sneakers similar to the blue pair, but with backs for my holiday on a canal boat soon. (I dont fancy leaping off a boat in a pair of mules)

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Many chefs wear clogs, because they are easy to step out of should something spill, and they are durable if anything falls onto the floor and they happen to step in the wrong place. So the style is practical! Why not wear an open backed shoe? And if it is a trainer, than it can be quite unisex.

I like the clog-style too! I once wore a pair that had leather uppers and a 4" stacked heel - almost like a fashion cowboy boot - but no back. Or....would that be considered a mule? (this was in 1982).

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!